Mayo1
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Generator V Solar Panel

· 
Posted: 17.11.2011  ·  #1
Trying to decide which is the most suitable for us especially for this time of the year as we mostly do not have EHU.
All the lights are LED's which helps but blow air heating this time of year takes a lot from the batteries.
I'm not to well up on solar panels but I would imagine that one would not give much of a charge this time of year - despite our sunny climate.
A smallish Generator (900w ) run for a couple of hours would probably do ok.
Any thought anybody

Subject:

Re: Generator V Solar Panel

· 
Posted: 17.11.2011  ·  #2
I know nothing about generators but we have a solar panel which was fitted to our van when we got it.

I am not sure what wattage it is but we find it very good even at this time of year.
It can't be as good as it is in the summer as day are shorter and light is less intense but betwwen it and driving we find the batteries last well.

It is only at this time of year without EHU we see the state of charge drop below 100%.

A generator is good as you can use it any time but I often wonder about complaints about noise from other people nearby.

There are pros and cons for both I suppose....

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2011  ·  #3

wayfarer
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2011  ·  #4
I agree with rob plus the fact that being near a camper with a generator running is not a pleasant experience, you can wear out your welcome very fast. I would go with solar + an extra leisure battery, that should keep most people going for a few days between charges.

:-)

Viktor
Full Member - Likes the Underworld film series
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.11.2011  ·  #5
During the winter in Ireland as a whole there is not much to be gained from solar panels..the majority of the 'daytime' is too
dull for them to work...so I went for a Honda 2.0i converted to gas. It will run on petrol, however all the petrol is out of it and
the lines and carb drained (so no fumes at all inside the van when transporting)....it goes onto the outside barbeque attachment
and runs from the bottle....even quieter than when running on petrol...just a whirr in the background. I have solar too btw and
have been monitoring the input...a couple of hours if lucky and perhaps 0.5 amp on average...even running the engine for a short
period does far more for the leisure battery.....lots of sites are leaning their preference towards gas generators as are some organised
meets.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.11.2011  ·  #6

wayfarer
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.11.2011  ·  #7
Sounds good. Which model Honda is it Victor. The only experience I've had with generators have not been great, really loud ones on wildcamping spots which caused me to move on.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.11.2011  ·  #8

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.