eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

gas regulators

· 
Posted: 18.07.2013  ·  #1
I am using butane gas with a 28mbar regulator which then runs into the vans own (post 04 van 30 mbar reg fitted as standard ) 30 mbar regulator is this a compatible setup or should i switch to propane gas which is not widely available in ROI the cooker and oven etc are working fine but the fridge acts up struggling to reignite (auto ) sometimes

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: gas regulators

· 
Posted: 18.07.2013  ·  #2
28/29 mbar with butane and 37 mbar with propane

If you are going to use propane you should change the regulator. Our Pilote unknown to us at the time, had a butane regulater and we were using propane, when we changed the difference was incredible. Kettle boiled in half the time!

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2013  ·  #3
Just realised thats not really what you asked. 🇧🇭

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2013  ·  #4
I was using butane at first and had trouble with the fridge, got the lads in Donagheys to give it a service and they advised propane, so I did as advised and I have had no bother since with fridge lighting (manual ign)
Donagheys fitted the new propane regulator and did the pressure test to make sure all was ok,

As regards what mbar the reg is I have no idea but I can have a look when I get home (enjoying sambo by lake at minute 27*C) 8-)

It's a bit harder to source the propane alright but I'd say you will have no problems when you get going and SOS out the filling stations that stock it.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2013  ·  #5
Like yourself Dave we have been using Butane for the last three years and never had any problems with it. The first time I came across Propane was the last bank holiday weekend when a Motorhomer parked next to us in Dunmore East ran out of Propane and he drove 50 miles and failed to get a refill. When he came back another Motorhomer had a spare bottle and gave it to him, but this bottle needed a different regulator so he was still in trouble. My question is why should I change to Propane, I know it is less likely to freeze in winter, but I never had a problem with the butane? Also will the gas suppliers exchange a butane bottle for a propane bottle?

drifter
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Hobby 690GFS
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD on an AL-KO chassis
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2013  ·  #6
I guess you can use whichever you like or whichever your van comes equipped for. I use to use propane in the motorhome but changed to autogas when I installed a gaslow setup.

I use propane at home and have never had a problem getting buying it.

I would be loath to take risks with gas so would check with an expert as to which regulator to use with which gas. I am no expert but intuitively I would worry about using a butane regulator for propane or vice versa :-|

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2013  ·  #7
thanks for replys ...From 04 (mine 05 ) most MH and caravans are fitted with a 30 mbar regulator as standard but to use Butane in the van u need to fit a butane reg. which is 28 mbar and goes on top of bottle the gas then goes to the fitted 30 mbar reg. thats is my problem area

Annevan
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2013  ·  #8
I also have a regulator fixed to wall of my van and was told if I used a bottle connected with a reg( 2 regs) I would have problems, too little pressure I presume. You need a connection or pigtail from the regulator in camper to your gas bottle so gas is only passing through one reg.

Michelinman
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: rossdowneyleisures…
My Motorhome: Autotrail Arapaho
Base Vehicle: Ducato x250 2008
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.07.2013  ·  #9
If Mark,s suggestion does not work . Take off the hose between the gas bottle and the regulator and check for a blockage . I was at a band contest in Inverness a few weeks ago when a Motorhome from N Ireland next to me had the same problem with his cooker. I removed the main flexible hose and found it to be full of black sludge type liquid, changed the hose and no problem since. Apparently Flogas was famous for this a while back . If this is not the problem I would say the cooker and fridge could do with a proper service. Cheers :up:

THIS MESSAGE WAS PUT ON HERE IN ERROR. PLEASE DISREGARD AS A PART OF THIS THREAD. CHEERS

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2013  ·  #10
I bought my camper in Nth Irel, so it has propane bottles with screw-in regulator. I was also given a 'Southern' regulator to use if I wanted to chance to the more available Butane. I find the propane hard to find, so on several occasions, pending getting my hands on propane, I just changed the regulator and used the relevant butane gas. I find no problems to date. Must check on the Wall regulator to ensure there is no obvious problems in it's operating pressure.
I do wonder why I don't just use Butane all the time.
Franco

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2013  ·  #11
Hi Franco,

Unless you camp in the early or late part of the season, no reason why you couldn't use butane all the time.

If I remember correctly it ceases to gas off at about 4 C (remember wind chill ) you could probably wrap the cylinders with an old duvet to be sure.

Vans that are post 2004 should all be using 30 mb regulators. usually wall mounted, wouldn't be hard to get a calor agent verify what you have.

If you move to butane, they are usually 7Kg so should last a little longer than 6 Kg propane.

My local calor agent has let me swop butane for propane bottles and also change bottle sizes for no cost.

Worth thinking about.

Davy

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2013  ·  #12
Hi Davy. Tks for that clarification, and good to know. I feel the availability of Butane down south make it the obvious choice. I will keep the Propane handy in case of late/early camping.
Frank :up:

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.