How much gas did ye use in france

darkvalley
Craic'er
Subject:

How much gas did ye use in france

· 
Posted: 26.07.2013  ·  #1
I'm told that you cannot get butane gas bottles to fit our regulators while in France, so just wondering how much did any of ye use.
I'm going for two weeks on 8th August and will have 2 bottles with me, one full and one with an unknown amount in it but I think about half full.
Will this be enough?
Use should be only fridge and some hot water for 3 people.

It is strange, I have gone to france most years on my holidays for the last 12 years or so but this is the first time in a camper and while very excited about it, also strangely nervous!

regards
Finbarr

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: How much gas did ye use in france

· 
Posted: 26.07.2013  ·  #2
That should be enough if the worst comes to the worst buy a French bottle and fittings its not mad money to change especially if your van is post 04 with fitted regulator

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2013  ·  #3
Hi Finbarr I got 8 weeks out of 2 FULL cylinders, and only ehu for about 3 nights, you should bring 2 full ones with you . :up:

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2013  ·  #4
I agree. Two full 13kg cylinders would be loads.
We were only able to do a 14 night trip in June and didn't even use one 13kg cylinder.
We were on aires the whole time but did have electric a few nights.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2013  ·  #5
We went to France for 17 days in June with one full bottle and we have been out with the van two weekends since and there is still gas in the bottle. That included all the cooking and the fridge most days, also some showers.

flans van
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2013  ·  #6
We have been on the road for 23 days in France inc 2 in Ireland and we have just changed our 6kg bottle ,we have used a mix of Aires & municipal sites which we found are great value for money . We think you would be best to have 2 full bottles rather than having to buy here.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2013  ·  #7
Hi Finbarr,

Have a gret trip. We got 23 nights in France, cooking and fridge (no heat) in June, mostly Aires. Back home and 4 nights in Enniskillen and I expect the bottle to be empty anytime now.

This was a 6kg propane bottle. Remember that Butane has a different heat output so it may last a little longer. It is also I think a 7kg bottle, so more gas !!

Davy

flans van
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2013  ·  #8
Remember to ask about ehu while on the boat ,that saves on your gas .When we are on a site we get a full tank of hot water before we leave then we have warm water for a shower if we don't have ehu , also if you can fill up with water it also helps . It's unbelievable the tips you pick up on your travels from long term travelers . Hope this is of some help . Emily & John .ps enjoy your trip

drifter
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Hobby 690GFS
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD on an AL-KO chassis
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2013  ·  #9
Quote by darkvalley

I'm told that you cannot get butane gas bottles to fit our regulators while in France, so just wondering how much did any of ye use.
I'm going for two weeks on 8th August and will have 2 bottles with me, one full and one with an unknown amount in it but I think about half full.
Will this be enough?
Use should be only fridge and some hot water for 3 people.

It is strange, I have gone to france most years on my holidays for the last 12 years or so but this is the first time in a camper and while very excited about it, also strangely nervous!

regards
Finbarr

Hi Finbarr

The short answer is two cylinders gas should last two weeks regardless of how you plan to camp.

The long answer is:
You didn't say how you intend to camp. ie.
Will you spend nights on campsites with Electrical Hook Up
Or will you stay mainly on aires or unofficial stops with no hook up.

Staying on camp sites with EHU whilst costing money, saves on gas. Your fridge will run on the 230V electricity, you can shower and wash on the shower block, you can usually wash your dishes and crockery in the room provided.

Staying on aires / unofficial stops your fridge will be running on gas apart from when you are driving. A fridge will consume probably around 12 to 18 grams of gas per hour depending on size. If you shower in your own van you will use gas to heat the water. Washing dishes / crockery etc will also consume gas to heat the water.

Always run the fridge on 12V while driving

The appliance that really uses the most gas in your motorhome is water/space heater. It uses anything from 160 grams to 480 grams per hour depending which heater you have and what setting you have it on. (according to Truma technical details comparision - http://www.truma.com/uk/en/heating/combi-4-e.php )

My practical experience of that was quite a few years ago when we went cold weather (snow) camping. We like our comforts and had the space heating on quite a bit to keep ourselves nice and toasty. I was quite shocked when I found we burned our way through a full 11kg cylinder in four of five days!

Have a great holiday

darkvalley
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2013  ·  #10
Thanks all for the replies. I can see we will be fine with the 2 bottles. We are intending to stay mostly off ehu in aires, but will use some campsites. Just my normal anxiety starting to rev up.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2013  ·  #11
Have a good time and bring back more of that sunshine we getting used to :up:

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2013  ·  #12
Look life is too short to worry about things like gas. I ran out a few years ago and went in and bought a Camping Gaz cylinder and got running again. Don't let gas rob you of your enjoyment of a wonderful country and its people. They will help you out if you run out of gas.

JAG147
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2013  ·  #13
Quote by flans van

Remember to ask about ehu while on the boat ,that saves on your gas .When we are on a site we get a full tank of hot water before we leave then we have warm water for a shower if we don't have ehu , also if you can fill up with water it also helps . It's unbelievable the tips you pick up on your travels from long term travelers . Hope this is of some help . Emily & John .ps enjoy your trip

What?? Are people still leaving their gas on whilst on the ferry??

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2013  ·  #14
drifter
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Hobby 690GFS
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD on an AL-KO chassis
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2013  ·  #15
Quote by jacktherev

Look life is too short to worry about things like gas. I ran out a few years ago and went in and bought a Camping Gaz cylinder and got running again. Don't let gas rob you of your enjoyment of a wonderful country and its people. They will help you out if you run out of gas.

Well said Reverend. God helps them that help themselves.
Hope you turned your cylinder off on the ferry on way home :up:

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.