Stena Line Tesco Voucher Surcharges

Overcharged by Stena?

rabsterr
Subject:

Stena Line Tesco Voucher Surcharges

· 
Posted: 21.06.2013  ·  #1
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems with Stena Line re. Tesco vouchers.

I recieved my Tesco vouchers the other day and checked the full flexi fare for my journey to Cairnryan. The website quoted £269. I then called Stena to make the booking and they wanted £309 plus £10 booking fee. I questioned what the discrepancy was from the website and they told me that the Tesco vouchers couldnt be used with any other offer - I told them that I wasnt claiming any offer and there where none advertised on their site but the operator just said that this was the non web price and basically take it or leave it (my words, not theirs btw).

If anyone else has had similar problems I'd be keen to hear if you managed to get any explanation from them- so far I've not recieved a reasonable answer.

I know it's only £40 but It's the principle. Surely some pricing transparency wouldn't be too much to ask.

Anyway, rant over,

Robert

Subject:

Re: Stena Line Tesco Voucher Surcharges

· 
Posted: 21.06.2013  ·  #2
I have noticed this before.
We were told about using Tesco vouchers against sailings but when I checked it out I discovered the same as you mention.

It would appear they say the online price is an offer i.e. web price. If you want to use your Tesco vouchers you pay full price minus the voucher value. If you click on a link from Tesco taking you to a stena page the prices are set higher.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2013  ·  #3
We also have had this with Stena and Irish Ferries, there can be such a difference that at times its better to book direct.

blacklablover
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2013  ·  #4
Snap!

A slight variation. I tried to make a booking and hey no no probs (online initially to check the prices). When I rang to make the booking there was no availability. I mentioned that the web site was showing availability. The operator said there were only so many spaces allocated for tesco vouchers and he actually said it wasn't many!

Nor could I use the vouchers in exchange for a premium booking. However I changed my dates, made the booking, and on arrival did a deal with the staff member at the check inn kiosk (she charged me £10 a head against £15 online.

Never again. It seems stena operate similar to the frequent flyer air miles. Happy for you to earn them but God forbid should you wish to exchange them.

digger
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Mirage 6000
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2013  ·  #5
I had the same problem last year. I could have used my telco vouchers to buy fuel and saved over £100.00 Never again. This year I will book online
Brian

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2013  ·  #6
Folks, just remember there's no such thing as a free lunch. I've found exactly the same with P&O.

rabsterr
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.06.2013  ·  #7
Thanks for the replys,

I've contacted Stena and asked them to explain the price differences and show me a price breakdown of their standard flexi fare but all I've recieved back is corporate bluster.

I'm gonna call again today and see if I can get a transparent price from them. I dont think its too much to ask. At least I'll know if I'm paying a surcharge for using Tesco vouchers - as far as I can see tho, they should be offering the fare at the standard flexi rate.

I'll update if I get anything from them.

Robert

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.06.2013  ·  #8
You'll be lucky if you get a definitive answer from Stenna. Ill award you the the CDMA if you do.

rabsterr
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.06.2013  ·  #9
You're right Jack,

I asked for some pricing transparency and the operator suggested I contacted customer services, who had already told me to contact a sales operator, who told me to contact customer services..........and then you get lost in a neverending loop of telephone calls until your ears fall off!

Gotta say, its a clever diversionary tactic which worked for me.

To be fair, the surcharge was only £40 so not a deal breaker.

Thanks for the replies,

Robert

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.06.2013  ·  #10
When I was running the motorcyucle club, I had negotiated access to group rates for trips to race meetings etc and one paticular trip we were trying to organise found that some members could not get the discount, when I queried it with Stena they explained that there were only so many places allocated to the discounted rates and that also the discount applied to the full list price of the fare and not the web price which are always on going offers. I think the same applies to the Tesco scheme on both Stena and Irish Ferries. One alternative would be to take them in vouchers for meals at various pub chains through mainland UK and have a good night out on them instead of feeling ripped off on the crossing fares.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.