Craic'er
My Motorhome: VW T5
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Getting to Greece

· 
Posted: 06.02.2023  ·  #1
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice/info/stories! A couple of years ago we took our van to Greece and absolutely loved it. We went via Italy and took the ferry there and back. We're heading back to the continent in a few weeks and are very tempted to go back to Greece for a chunk of our trip (ten weeks total). The only thing is, the cost of the Greek ferries has gone way up so we are considering going overland instead.

So I was wondering if anyone here as any experience of driving through the Balkans or Romania/Bulgaria to get to Greece. I'm with Dolmen and I don't think they cover all of the necessary countries (have to double check this but I'm pretty sure they don't cover Serbia or Albania). Is there an alternative method of insurance for these countries?

If I do get insurance, what is it like to drive in these countries? I have a small VW T5 van with a high roof so it's fairly easy to drive but are the roads/traffic bad? I have read a few things about Albania being very rural but I'm not sure how accurate this is!

Oh and this time I will have my dog with me! Anyone done this trip with a dog?

It would be brilliant to see some more countries on this trip but I'd love to get some stories/advice from people who have been there?

Thank you!

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Getting to Greece

· 
Posted: 06.02.2023  ·  #2
We drove the full length of Bulgaria a few months ago the new trakia highway virtually links west to the Black Sea in total length, if you get through Sofia easily it’s about 5 hours

Liked by: willthiswork

mtravel
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Carthago Malibu 600DB
Base Vehicle: FIat Ducato 2.3 140CV
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2023  ·  #3
Never done by land but I have often read about it.
Insurance for Albania can be purchased at the border.
For Serbia I guess it's the same.

Using the motorways in Slovenia requires the purchase of a vignette (aka Switzerland or Austria), which can be done at one of the last service stations on the Italian motorway A4.

As for the ferries (prices and reservations), he has excellent reviews and I believe he speaks English:
Spyros Dimitrakakis (Oreo Travel - Oreo Group)

Tel: +30 2831 0 25169
Fax: +30 2831 100352
Mobile: +30 6932 549747 ( WhatsApp )
Email: spyros@islandcrete.com
Email 2: spyros60@otenet.gr

Liked by: JJF, petie, willthiswork

willthiswork
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2023  ·  #4
Quote by relay racer

We drove the full length of Bulgaria a few months ago the new trakia highway virtually links west to the Black Sea in total length, if you get through Sofia easily it’s about 5 hours

What did you think of Bulgaria?

Quote by mtravel

Never done by land but I have often read about it.
Insurance for Albania can be purchased at the border.
For Serbia I guess it's the same.

Using the motorways in Slovenia requires the purchase of a vignette (aka Switzerland or Austria), which can be done at one of the last service stations on the Italian motorway A4.

As for the ferries (prices and reservations), he has excellent reviews and I believe he speaks English:
Spyros Dimitrakakis (Oreo Travel - Oreo Group)

Tel: +30 2831 0 25169
Fax: +30 2831 100352
Mobile: +30 6932 549747 ( WhatsApp )
Email: spyros@islandcrete.com
Email 2: spyros60@otenet.gr

Thanks a million! I'll have to get in touch with Spyros!

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2023  ·  #5
We were in a van ,not the camper,just so you know,we haven’t been in the camper yet,,firstly the Black Sea is largely unspoiled and untraveled by many in the campervan /Motorhome world,we think it’s a great place to see if you’re travelling Eastern Europe,but the distance is huge,to get there,if you’re stick to the main city’s and highways the roads are very good,but off the major routes they’re shocking, a lot of Bulgarian people that holiday in Greece,from Sofia or the west of the country have a good road network straight down to Thessaloniki,,a lot the camp site sites in Bulgaria are very basic, and even will look shabby,but they’re improving,they are really into eco type sites

mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2023  ·  #6
Bulgaria ?
A lot depends on which Greek coast interests you, western or eastern?
Even though I already have a travel plan ready, I have never been to Bulgaria.
But I toured Romania up and down, a few days on the Black Sea included.
Perhaps they were nice seaside resorts for the nomenklatura of the times of the USSR.

Sure the roads have been improved, but six or seven years ago, brrr...
Very basic campsites.

Max

willthiswork
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2023  ·  #7
We're very much still in the planning stages! Our ferry to France is booked for the 1st of April and I have ferries booked at the end of May for Sicily and Sardinia! Other than that, we are free agents. Had been thinking of overlanding to Greece as a way of seeing more of Europe but I've been kind of scared off by stories of gangs, police corruption and bad driving in some of the countries we would be driving through. Of course, that is probably all scare mongering!

Considering Slovenia and Croatia instead of Greece as a way to see some new places.

Liked by: Ally, eirebus

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2023  ·  #8
Quote by willthiswork

We're very much still in the planning stages! Our ferry to France is booked for the 1st of April and I have ferries booked at the end of May for Sicily and Sardinia! Other than that, we are free agents. Had been thinking of overlanding to Greece as a way of seeing more of Europe but I've been kind of scared off by stories of gangs, police corruption and bad driving in some of the countries we would be driving through. Of course, that is probably all scare mongering!

Considering Slovenia and Croatia instead of Greece as a way to see some new places.

Sounds like a great trip. Make sure you post updates. I’m thinking of similar in 2024.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2023  ·  #9
Few on here have been looking at this trip:

forum/topic.php?t=25125

Will be very interested in your trip.
Can I ask you to keep this thread updated on your progress to possibly assist us with planning.

Liked by: eirebus

willthiswork
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2023  ·  #10
Quote by JJF

Few on here have been looking at this trip:

forum/topic.php?t=25125

Will be very interested in your trip.
Can I ask you to keep this thread updated on your progress to possibly assist us with planning.

Will do!

Last year we did France, Spain, Northern Italy, Austria and Germany. It was unreal but the heat was a bit much! That’s why we’re going earlier this year :)

mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2023  ·  #11
Quote by willthiswork

Had been thinking of overlanding to Greece as a way of seeing more of Europe but I've been kind of scared off by stories of gangs, police corruption and bad driving in some of the countries we would be driving through. Of course, that is probably all scare mongering!

I don't know if you come from ROI or NI, in the second case remember the 90/180 days rule.
Let's debunk the concept of gangs, etc., I never read of someone being attacked or robbed.
It is perhaps easier to get into trouble on the French Mediterranean coast or in some large Spanish towns than in the countries you have to cross to get to Greece.

As for crazy driving, come on, just pay a little attention.
It is no coincidence that mirrorguards have been invented where people drive on the left.
On the continent, it maybe that just 1% of LHD motorhomes have them.
I toured extensively in Greece, including central Athens.
That's the only place to pay attention. And I survived.

Liked by: eirebus, JJF

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2023  ·  #12
Quote by mtravel

I don't know if you come from ROI or NI, in the second case remember the 90/180 days rule.

A very very large percentage of people in Northern Ireland have Irish passports (EU), therefore the 90/180 day rule is not an issue.
Anyone born in Ireland (North or South) or can prove parentage/grand parents is entitled to hold an Irish passport.
The 90 day rule really only affects a small percentage here, or those electing to hold a UK passport.

It is much more of a problem for English people on the mainland who have no access nor parental entitlements.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2023  ·  #13
Quote by JJF

Quote by mtravel

A very very large percentage of people in Northern Ireland have Irish passports (EU), therefore the 90/180 day rule is not an issue.
Anyone born in Ireland (North or South) or can prove parentage/grand parents is entitled to hold an Irish passport.
The 90 day rule really only affects a small percentage here, or those electing to hold a UK passport.

It is much more of a problem for English people on the mainland who have no access nor parental entitlements.

Don’t forget the Scottish and Welsh.

Liked by: johnnymac

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2023  ·  #14
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Quote by JJF

Quote by mtravel

Don’t forget the Scottish and Welsh.

I was tarring them with the "English" brush Jamie .... :lol:

willthiswork
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2023  ·  #15
Quote by mtravel

Quote by willthiswork

Had been thinking of overlanding to Greece as a way of seeing more of Europe but I've been kind of scared off by stories of gangs, police corruption and bad driving in some of the countries we would be driving through. Of course, that is probably all scare mongering!

Let's debunk the concept of gangs, etc., I never read of someone being attacked or robbed.
It is perhaps easier to get into trouble on the French Mediterranean coast or in some large Spanish towns than in the countries you have to cross to get to Greece.

As for crazy driving, come on, just pay a little attention.
It is no coincidence that mirrorguards have been invented where people drive on the left.
On the continent, it maybe that just 1% of LHD motorhomes have them.
I toured extensively in Greece, including central Athens.
That's the only place to pay attention. And I survived.

I'm from Ireland - still a member of the EU thankfully! So I don't need to worry about that :)

I think what worried me was when I read the DFA info on Albania and it highlighted the high level of gun ownership and then I moved over to the RAC website and they highlighted how quickly arguments escalate in that country as well as the high level of road fatalities. So all that, along with the fact that on the spot fines can be issued of up to around €1,400 to foreign drivers in a country known for corruption made me slightly apprehensive.

All that being said, I'm driving an 18 year old van, doubt I'll stand out as being a good target for lots of cash lol!

I should have said bad roads, not bad driving. The bad state of the roads was highlighted as a concern on the official websites I read. Having said that, I've driven on some pretty bad roads in Ireland in my time!

I've driven across northern Italy and down to the very tip of the heel in Puglia. I've driven in the mountains in Greece and Spain.

I'm not here to start any arguments. I wanted to find out from people who have driven in these countries if these fears are warranted or as I suspect, are blown out of proportion and based in outdated stereotypes.

Liked by: JJF

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2023  ·  #16
Blown outa all proportion definitely, there’s as many Albanians in the south now sure as there is in albania,as for corruption look no further than our own government north and south,I’ve been driving in Bulgaria now in hire cars and vans for 20 years ,but not the camper yet,the police won’t bother you unless you’re speeding and stuff ,always have a dashcam on ,nearly everyone has a dashcam in eastern Europe,I’ll tell you what you never see, signs that say “your not allowed do this and not allowed to do that, it’s much more free,if you go into the villages ,which you won’t do,the roads are bad,very bad ,if you stick to the big towns and city’s,they’re dead on, just my opinion

mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.02.2023  ·  #17
Three short and recent comments taken from the Italian camperonline forum.

1. Trip made by land in 2017.
We stopped for a few days in North Macedonia and Northern Greece.
The road problem was in Serbia with a poorly maintained road surface and some pieces of highway missing, especially between Belgrade and Nis, but work was underway.
No problem paying in Euros

2. Hi I went to Greece by land starting from Pordenone last summer between June / July.
I can tell you that it was a completely smooth journey driving all along the highway through Slovenia (no highway), Croatia (the most expensive) Serbia, North Macedonia and Greece.
The motorways are perfect and in that period with little traffic, simple border formalities (always used the identity card) and green card to be shown for the vehicle.
I did it in just over 2 days.

3. Done in August 2022 (destination Turkey ... but little changes)
I confirm you generally beautiful roads .. (Serbia for sure the worst but not worse than the Italian ones)
In my case a lot of traffic at the borders due to the Turkish Germans returning home (but I think in periods other than August there is no chaos)
I have noticed that they prefer a passport to an identity card but it is also easy to pass with it.
If you have time, Slovenia has very beautiful state roads .. but if you are in a hurry the motorways are just as beautiful .. you pay for a vignette online (if I remember correctly 15 euros for the week and 30 for the month ... )
We did wild camping with no problems

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2023  ·  #18
Maeve if you end up doing this trip from April I will be keen to read up how you fared.

This coming September I will be going to France briefly, before head into Germany and into Austria. My original plan was to then head back into France and onto Spain and Portugal. That said I’m hearing that January and particularly February Spain is full on the coast in Southern Spain where it is generally warmer. Now I could do what many others do, book a nice site and stay for 4/6/8 weeks but that really doesn’t appeal to me.

So I’m considering changing my plans and either heading to Greece via Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia? Montenegro, Albania and into Greece. Or taking a ferry(s) to Greece via Italy.

I have some concerns as have been raised before, namely how safe is Albania? Have I watched too many movies, read too many novels? How safe is Albania?

My other concern would be finding stop overs (legal) in the off season I’m not in the slightest bit concerned about basic as I have all I need on board but I would need to fill up and empty.

I’ll have to check my Vodafone contract to see if I will incur charges in Albania etc.

I think I shall have to do a bit of you tube research and possibly sit through a few Blogs/Vlogs. Any pointers to any watchable Bloggers/Vloggers who have done similar? I’m not interested in watching people who have done the whole journey stayed for 10 weeks and so far spent €2.16 by foraging, getting water from illicit sources and emptying toilets in petrol stations or lifting drain covers. I have a budget and I don’t mind spending some money rather than sneaking around in the dark to empty my toilet cassette.

willthiswork
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2023  ·  #19

Maeve if you end up doing this trip from April I will be keen to read up how you fared.

This coming September I will be going to France briefly, before head into Germany and into Austria. My original plan was to then head back into France and onto Spain and Portugal. That said I’m hearing that January and particularly February Spain is full on the coast in Southern Spain where it is generally warmer. Now I could do what many others do, book a nice site and stay for 4/6/8 weeks but that really doesn’t appeal to me.

So I’m considering changing my plans and either heading to Greece via Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia? Montenegro, Albania and into Greece. Or taking a ferry(s) to Greece via Italy.

I have some concerns as have been raised before, namely how safe is Albania? Have I watched too many movies, read too many novels? How safe is Albania?

My other concern would be finding stop overs (legal) in the off season I’m not in the slightest bit concerned about basic as I have all I need on board but I would need to fill up and empty.

I’ll have to check my Vodafone contract to see if I will incur charges in Albania etc.

I think I shall have to do a bit of you tube research and possibly sit through a few Blogs/Vlogs. Any pointers to any watchable Bloggers/Vloggers who have done similar? I’m not interested in watching people who have done the whole journey stayed for 10 weeks and so far spent €2.16 by foraging, getting water from illicit sources and emptying toilets in petrol stations or lifting drain covers. I have a budget and I don’t mind spending some money rather than sneaking around in the dark to empty my toilet cassette.

I think we share a lot of the same concerns! I've been struggling trying to find blogs so if you find any I'd love if you could post some links...I'll do the same if I find any :)

I'll try to do updates as I go along but feel free to message me if I forget!

Will you have a dog with you? I'm bringing my hairy lurcher too so I need to consider how dog friendly places are. Of course, it will be hard to be less dog friendly than Ireland!

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2023  ·  #20
Quote by willthiswork

I think we share a lot of the same concerns! I've been struggling trying to find blogs so if you find any I'd love if you could post some links...I'll do the same if I find any :)

I'll try to do updates as I go along but feel free to message me if I forget!

Will you have a dog with you? I'm bringing my hairy lurcher too so I need to consider how dog friendly places are. Of course, it will be hard to be less dog friendly than Ireland!

Yep I have a dog with me/us. I’m not overly worried about dog friendly restaurants or bars, I can do without. He does enjoy walking on beaches but he is happy walking anywhere really.

willthiswork
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2023  ·  #21
Ok, it looks like I won't be going to Albania! https://worldwidewalkies.blog/…o-albania/

According to the Pet Travel website, a titre test is required to enter Greece from a high rabies country. Both Albania and Montenegro are on the ‘High Rabies’ list. https://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Greece.cfm
You will not easily be able to get a titre test in Albania. The blood has to be sent for testing to an official EU laboratory, so I would recommend getting the test done while still in the EU. Note that provided the test results are within acceptable limits, your pet cannot enter Greece until 3 calendar months after the test is passed.

Actually I have just reread this and maybe I can if I get the test done this week?

Obviously being able to bring my dog into restaurants and bars makes my life easier but when I say dog friendly I guess I mean more accepting of dogs as pets and being walked without worrying about dangerous strays due to a culture that isn't accustomed to pets/

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2023  ·  #22
Some great info already on this thread.
I may correlate all the info into a ‘planning post’ in the future for referral by members planning a similar trip. Keep the info coming and thanks to everyone for your contributions so far.
I’m personally interested in the France/Corsica/Sardinia/Italy/Greece ferry options & have being doing research on this option during and over the covid times.
The pet information is invaluable to those of us with dogs.

willthiswork
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2023  ·  #23
Quote by JJF

Some great info already on this thread.
I may correlate all the info into a ‘planning post’ in the future for referral by members planning a similar trip. Keep the info coming and thanks to everyone for your contributions so far.
I’m personally interested in the France/Corsica/Sardinia/Italy/Greece ferry options & have being doing research on this option during and over the covid times.
The pet information is invaluable to those of us with dogs.

I've gotten the ferry from Sardinia to Corsica (and back) but without my van or dog. It's a short journey but was verrrrry choppy when I went in mid October. Dogs were allowed in the lounge. It was only a day trip to Bonifacio but I'd def recommend it! I have ferries booked on this trip from Sicily to Sardinia and then from Sardinia to Toulon. I'll give an update on how they go. I'll be staying in dog friendly cabins.

I'm going to phone my vet tomorrow to talk about rabies and Leishmaniasis. Sprocket had his first rabies injection last year so he might need a booster this year for some countries going by what I've read online. I can do an update post on that if people are interested!

Other than the ferries I mentioned and obviously my return to work, we are really loose with our plans. I want to be prepared for lots of route options but I don't want to tie myself down. I love the freedom that the van gives us and can't wait to discover new foods and places! For me, half the fun of these trips is doing loads of research beforehand lol!

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2023  ·  #24
I have ferries booked on this trip from Sicily to Sardinia and then from Sardinia to Toulon.

What was the cost of these ferries (approx.) Just trying to get an idea of the cost of a trip like this, I've only been a foot passenger on the Corsica/ Sardinia ferry, we had fun driving in Corsica ( car ) wild bore on the road and they're big if you hit one

Liked by: sprinter

willthiswork
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2023  ·  #25
Quote by eirebus

I have ferries booked on this trip from Sicily to Sardinia and then from Sardinia to Toulon.

What was the cost of these ferries (approx.) Just trying to get an idea of the cost of a trip like this, I've only been a foot passenger on the Corsica/ Sardinia ferry, we had fun driving in Corsica ( car ) wild bore on the road and they're big if you hit one

From Sardinia to Toulon, we've booked a pet friendly cabin and it's about €250 for us and the van.

From Sicily to Sardinia it'll be about €320. Both of these are end of May.

I've looked at return ferries to Greece and it was coming up at around €650 for no cabin return and over a grand with a cabin.

mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2023  ·  #26
Quote by willthiswork

I've looked at return ferries to Greece and it was coming up at around €650 for no cabin return and over a grand with a cabin.

Ferries from Italy to Greece.
There are different routes served by different companies.
However, the distances to be covered by land must be kept in mind.
Assuming a departure from Verona (intersection of the motorways from Switzerland and Germany, Verona-Venice 120km. Verona-Ancona 370km, Verona-Brindisi 930km
Minoan Lines and Anek Superfast operate Igoumenitsa-Ancona, Patras-Ancona and Igoumenitsa-Venice.

Shorter but always to be evaluated for long land routes, alternatives could be the faster Igoumenitsa-Brindisi and Patras-Brindisi managed by Grimaldi Lines and (perhaps) European Seaways.

Don't forget that, excluding the winter period, some ferry companies offer the possibility of "camping on board".
Which means you can sleep in your motorhome, usually the connection to the EHU is provided.

Max

willthiswork
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2023  ·  #27
Would you have any advice on how to get a camping on board ticket? I would love that option but when I search the websites it always seems to disappear when I get to the pricing section! Do you need to email the ferry operator directly to book it?

I did the Bari-Igoumenitsa route and the Patras-Ancona in 2020. It really is an awesome alternative to save driving time!

mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2023  ·  #28
Quote by willthiswork

Would you have any advice on how to get a camping on board ticket? I would love that option but when I search the websites it always seems to disappear when I get to the pricing section! Do you need to email the ferry operator directly to book it?

I did the Bari-Igoumenitsa route and the Patras-Ancona in 2020. It really is an awesome alternative to save driving time!

I saw that from April 1st to October 31st Anek offers the camping on board option.
See https://anekitalia.com/en/camping-on-board/.
Minoan instead offers the so-called Camping all Inclusive with a cabin at the same price as the deck accommodation.
See https://www.minoan.it/en/ferry…-inclusive.
But apparently the offer is currently suspended. Maybe it's best to call them directly.

Max

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2023  ·  #29
Quote by mtravel

Quote by willthiswork

I saw that from April 1st to October 31st Anek offers the camping on board option.
Minoan instead offers the so-called Camping all Inclusive with a cabin at the same price as the deck accommodation.
But apparently the offer is currently suspended. Maybe it's best to call them directly.

Max

Thank you Max, I have looked at Bari to to Igoumenitsa on the open deck in the camper looks good. Do you know if we can walk dogs on the deck or elsewhere on the ferry?
I will be looking for 3/5 stopovers from Venice to Bari that will be open in October I will probably aim to drive about 200km a day on the outward journey to Greece. Any that you could recommend?
Regards Jamie

willthiswork
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2023  ·  #30
Quote by mtravel

[quote=

Max

Thanks Max! I’ve gotten camping on board for Bari Patras!!

mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.02.2023  ·  #31

Thank you Max, I have looked at Bari to to Igoumenitsa on the open deck in the camper looks good. Do you know if we can walk dogs on the deck or elsewhere on the ferry?
I will be looking for 3/5 stopovers from Venice to Bari that will be open in October I will probably aim to drive about 200km a day on the outward journey to Greece. Any that you could recommend?
Regards Jamie

I don't have dogs or pets so I can't help you but considering you will be staying in your campervan I assume so.
Better ask the ferry company.

From Venice you can stop a few hours in Chioggia, one day in the wonderful Ravenna or Rimini (nice small town with some roman heritage).
Then Ancona, Pescara and if you have time the Gargano promontory (Rodi Garganico, Peschici, Vieste, pay attention to sometime narrow roads).
Apulia has many small towns that are worth a visit (e.g Barletta, Trani), in their nearby hinterland you will find Castel del Monte.

As for stopovers Campercontact.com is a reliable source of possibilities.

Don't forget that just below Ancona the A14 motorway has affected by works in progress so you could very easily find even more than one queue. Be very careful entering the tunnels.
Pay close attention as you enter the tunnels and use Google Maps to get travel times.
Try to avoid refueling on the motorway, skyrocketing prices.

Max

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.02.2023  ·  #32
Quote by mtravel

Regards Jamie

I don't have dogs or pets so I can't help you but considering you will be staying in your campervan I assume so.
Better ask the ferry company.

From Venice you can stop a few hours in Chioggia, one day in the wonderful Ravenna or Rimini (nice small town with some roman heritage).
Then Ancona, Pescara and if you have time the Gargano promontory (Rodi Garganico, Peschici, Vieste, pay attention to sometime narrow roads).
Apulia has many small towns that are worth a visit (e.g Barletta, Trani), in their nearby hinterland you will find Castel del Monte.

As for stopovers Campercontact.com is a reliable source of possibilities.

Don't forget that just below Ancona the A14 motorway has affected by works in progress so you could very easily find even more than one queue. Be very careful entering the tunnels.
Pay close attention as you enter the tunnels and use Google Maps to get travel times.
Try to avoid refueling on the motorway, skyrocketing prices.

Max

Thank you Max

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.02.2023  ·  #33
mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2023  ·  #34

Ferry booked Bari to Patras. 13.30 to 0700hrs camping on deck in the MH €330 one way in October.
New adventures await.

I understand that you will go south from Venice.
But from which border will you enter Italy ?

Max

Liked by: sprinter, TommyS

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2023  ·  #35
Quote by mtravel

Ferry booked Bari to Patras. 13.30 to 0700hrs camping on deck in the MH €330 one way in October.
New adventures await.

I understand that you will go south from Venice.
But from which border will you enter Italy ?

Max

At the moment it will be an Austrian border not exactly sure where though.

willthiswork
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Dog vaccine

· 
Posted: 06.03.2023  ·  #36
So, today I brought Sprocket in to get his booster vaccine for rabies for entry into Italy. The vet wasn't sure he needed it as he still had two years on his initial vaccine but the wording online was a bit ambiguous (it referred to a three year booster) so we went ahead and got him boostered just in case. I rewarded him with tuna afterwards!

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2023  ·  #37
We got ours in last week for the Titre test. No EU approved labs in Ireland so the sample has gone to Germany and we expect the results in a month. No idea of cost yet.

willthiswork
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2023  ·  #38
That's strange that there are no EU approved labs in Ireland! Hopefully it won't be crazy expensive :)

denbo
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2023  ·  #39
We travel to Bulgaria most years with our 3 children and 2 dogs we have done the trip 5 times now and this year will be the 6th
We have passports for the dogs and get all the vaccinations they need
The only time we were asked for them was at the French border
The only country we avoid is Serbia as I have been told by other motorhomers that you can take your dogs in the country but its not that easy to take them out
We have friends in burgas Bulgaria we find Bulgaria very easy to wildcanp

mtravel
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.03.2023  ·  #40
Actually this year should have been Spain.
Then, hot for hot, we decided to go back to Greece from where, apart from a fly&hire trip to Crete, we hadn't been there for more than twenty years.

We'll make the outward journey by land (Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia and North Macedonia) with at least a few stops in the capitals.
On return already booked ferry from Patras to Bari (I).

Max

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.