baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Aircon

· 
Posted: 09.03.2023  ·  #1
I'm just back after getting the aircon in the mh checked and regassed after having a replacement compressor fitted.
The technician doing the job was very helpful and knowledgeable giving a high degree of confidence that he knows his trade well.
One of the pieces of advice he gave me is to leave the aircon on all the time unless the dryness of the air is causing eye or throat issues.
Even in cold and wet weather it will dry and clean the air reducing the tendency of windows to fog up and dampness to build up in the interior of the vehicle during periods of high humidity. He also explained that having the heater on does not work against the aircon, which seems counter-intuitive, it's got to do with the aircon condenser being before the heater matrix and the aircon not having to work cooling the air if the ambient outside temperature is already cold, it's only drying and cleaning it.

For anyone with aircon issues, I would recommend a conversation with Richard at http://air-con.ie/
I have no connection to the business.

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

Re: Aircon

· 
Posted: 09.03.2023  ·  #2
Cheers for that. I’ll give it a go as nothing to lose👍

lapsed
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2023  ·  #3
Quote by baguette

I'm just back after getting the aircon in the mh checked and regassed after having a replacement compressor fitted.
The technician doing the job was very helpful and knowledgeable giving a high degree of confidence that he knows his trade well.
One of the pieces of advice he gave me is to leave the aircon on all the time unless the dryness of the air is causing eye or throat issues.
Even in cold and wet weather it will dry and clean the air reducing the tendency of windows to fog up and dampness to build up in the interior of the vehicle during periods of high humidity. He also explained that having the heater on does not work against the aircon, which seems counter-intuitive, it's got to do with the aircon condenser being before the heater matrix and the aircon not having to work cooling the air if the ambient outside temperature is already cold, it's only drying and cleaning it.

For anyone with aircon issues, I would recommend a conversation with Richard at http://air-con.ie/
I have no connection to the business.

I presume that leaving the Aircon on requires you to be hooked up or to have a v good inverter ?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2023  ·  #4
Quote by lapsed

I presume that leaving the Aircon on requires you to be hooked up or to have a v good inverter ?

Apologies, I should have clarified that I was talking about the base vehicle aircon, not a habitation area unit that sits on the roof.

Liked by: lapsed, sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

on Aircon

· 
Posted: 09.03.2023  ·  #5
Quote by baguette

Quote by lapsed

Apologies, I should have clarified that I was talking about the base vehicle aircon, not a habitation area unit that sits on the roof.

While driving I presume, :-/ that's probably why the default position on my Megane is always on when driving, and requires manually turning off if you don't want it. I always considered it was just because it's French, like the Reversing and fog lights, being on the wrong side.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2023  ·  #6
Have always left it on, was told many moons ago of the damage to seals etc when not used. Seems to have been a success so far.

Liked by: johnnymac, sprinter

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2023  ·  #7
so does the aircon running all the time not affect the mpg then? I was always told that it did

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2023  ·  #8
Quote by Hymer544

so does the aircon running all the time not affect the mpg then? I was always told that it did

Everything the engine does affects the mpg. Put in context the affect of using aircon on overall mpg is probably an immeasurably small fraction of what it is when moving a three ton box with the aerodynamics of a garden shed from a to b.

Liked by: Ally, johnnymac, sprinter

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2023  ·  #9
Quote by Hymer544

Small engines are quite noticeable, larger engines it's not really an issue.

lapsed
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2023  ·  #10
Quote by Ally

Have always left it on, was told many moons ago of the damage to seals etc when not used. Seems to have been a success so far.

Does " on" mean cold or is there a way round this ?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2023  ·  #11
Quote by lapsed

Does " on" mean cold or is there a way round this ?

Means it's switched on, you can still regulate whatever temperature you want. Baguettes post explains this better.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.