Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Buddy Holly

· 
Posted: 02.02.2023  ·  #281
On this date (Feb. 2) in 1959:

At the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper play their last show as part of the "Winter Dance Party" tour.

The next day was the infamous "day the music died." 😢

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2023  ·  #282

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2023  ·  #283

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2023  ·  #284

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2023  ·  #285

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2023  ·  #286

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2023  ·  #287

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2023  ·  #288
RIP, Buddy Holly was 22, the pilot Roger Peterson was younger 21(bottom right). Ritchie Valens (bottom left) was only 17. Top left, Big Bopper 28.

Liked by: ntg, Sojim

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2023  ·  #289
Buddy Holly
In Session CD
• NEW RELEASE COMING SOON • PRE-ORDER NOW •

Of all the singers and musicians who sadly died young, the loss of Buddy Holly in February 1959 was perhaps the most shocking.
But he packed a lot into his short life, and during 1957 and '58 he and his fellow Crickets spent an enormous amount of time in Norman Petty's studio in Clovis, New Mexico.
When he wasn't working on his own songs, demos and sessions, Holly often played guitar or sang back-up vocals for artists like Gary Tollett, Billy Walker, Jack Huddle, Sherry Davis, Carolyn Hester, Charlie Phillips, Buddy Knox, Waylon Jennings and others.
This collection presents thirty-four such sides, most of which were recorded in Clovis, on which he guested as a guitarist.

https://www.raucousrecords.com…on-cd.html

Liked by: PaulH, tony glenn

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2023  ·  #290

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2023  ·  #291
Finally!!

Got my hands on this, never thought it would ever be finished.

The backing vocals were overdubs.

https://www.rollercoasterrecor…uk-version

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2023  ·  #292
The whole story as described in 'Rolling Stone' [BY JONATHAN BERNSTEIN] : Robertson was just 14 years old when he went to see Alan Freed’s Revue tour in the fall of 1957. Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, the Everly Brothers and Frankie Lymon were all on the bill, but Robertson was most excited to see the headliner: Buddy Holly and the Crickets. After the show, Robertson stormed to the front of the stage and asked the 21-year-old singer-guitarist how he got his unique guitar sound. “Here’s the thing,” Holly responded, much to Robertson’s astonishment. “I got this Fender amp with two 12-inch speakers. I blew one of the speakers, and thought it sounded better, so I left it.” “I couldn’t believe it,” he writes, “not only was Buddy Holly a genuinely nice guy, he was willing to reveal the kind of inside information I was hungry for.”

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.08.2023  ·  #293

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2023  ·  #294
I know none of you are interested, but this is my own topic for my own Buddy finds and history, I'll maybe convert it into a website.

This is amazing... you won't really appreciate it unless you have heard the original 1955/56 quality.

Audio Salvage Podcast – Buddy & Bob Remix Updates – PLUS Promos & Recording Sessions – In Stereo!

https://davidsworldonline.com/…in-stereo/

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2023  ·  #295
Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2023  ·  #296
Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.08.2023  ·  #297
'84th Birthday' remembrance' to 'Rock 'n Roll Hall Of Famer and longtime friend...
Mr. 'JERRY (J.I.) ALLISON' - Aug. 31st, 1939 /Aug. 22nd, 2022
> Jerry Allison was one of the first important drummers to emerge in rock & roll and rockabilly music, as the drummer for 'Buddy Holly' & the Crickets'.-- Born 'Jerry Ivan Allison' in Hillsboro, TX, in 1939, he joined Holly as his accompanist early in the latter's career, and for a time playing around Lubbock, TX, the two of them were the whole band. -- Just Holly's guitar and Allison's drums, and Allison knew how to get an incredible variety of percussion sounds.. given the limitations of equipment in the era, sometimes working with as little as one snare, a cymbal, and a bass drum (if that).
When Holly had his first, unsuccessful recording sessions in Nashville in 1956, Allison was there playing on some of the resulting songs, and he was always in the cards to be part of whatever group was to be assembled with Holly. That band, christened the 'Crickets' in early 1957, took the form of a trio (and sometimes quartet, with the addition of second guitarist Niki Sullivan) with Holly, new bassist Joe B. Mauldin, and Allison. The latter two formed a tight rhythm section whose sound was often emulated or outright imitated by admirers and across the decades since, the Crickets have been in demand by numerous artists, in large part because of their distinctive sound. But Allison was more than just part of the rhythm section. -- The delicacy and variety of his playing made him part of the melody, his tom-toms and snare work often serving to highlight aspects of the melody and the guitar parts, or even the lyrics.-- At his best, he was like a small orchestra working behind Holly, in a manner that anticipated the role that Keith Moon would play in the sound of the Who in the next decade.
'Jerry Allison' also contributed substantially to the group's songwriting. He is a composer in his own right, if not as visible in that role as Holly, and was responsible, among other parts of Holly's repertoire, for a good portion of the content of "Peggy Sue" (he has co-author credit on the song, and it was his girlfriend,.. and future wife, who provided the song's name). He has shared numerous songwriting credits across the decades, although his contribution to Buddy Holly's career has been somewhat obscured both by the cult that coalesced around Holly following his death and also the business practices of their manager/producer, 'Norman Petty'; - As was all too often the case with rock & roll music of the era in which Holly and the Crickets worked, songwriting credits were frequently tampered with and parceled out unfairly. Allison was cheated of credit on at least one rock & roll classic, "Not Fade Away," by Petty's machinations.
Following the split with Holly in late 1958 and the latter's death in February of 1959, Allison became the leader of the Crickets. He also subsequently did occasionally assume the role of singer with the group, and has led versions of the group -- frequently with other longtime members, including most certainly the highly acclaimed 'Sonny Curtis' across the decades since. -- His other credits include playing on the Everly Brothers hit "Till I Kissed You," and he has played and recorded with artists ranging from Johnny Rivers ("L.A. Reggae") to J.J. Cale.
'Rest In Peace', J.I.
You are SO missed..!

Liked by: ntg, sprinter

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.