Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Calor, bad news

· 
Posted: 19.01.2023  ·  #1
Bad news for Calor Gas users.
Calor Gas is speculated to be announcing today that they will discontinue the supply of all smaller bottles with immediate effect. This will apply to 3.9kg propane, 4.5kg butane and the 6kg Lite bottle.
We expect a press release today, the 19th of January 2023, where full details will be confirmed. We understand this is due to issues in their supply chain and an oversupply of bottles in circulation.
Users will be able to trade a 3.9kg bottle up to a regular 6kg, and a 4.5kg bottle up to a 7kg. The Calor Lite bottle can be exchanged for a 6kg.
This will undoubtedly put pressure on the availability of the 6kg propane bottle as people upgrade. Owners of campervans or leisure vehicles with small gas bottle storage will need to look at Campingaz 904 or 907 as a possible alternative. No doubt these will be in short supply again too, which would result in a price increase.
My advice is to plan early, consider changing your regulator and purchase your bottles ahead of summer!
In other news, one of Calor Gas’ biggest customers, B&Q, has cancelled its supply contract with Calor. This will no doubt have an impact on their sales in the UK and an impact on how barbecues are fuelled.
We await the official press release today.

Liked by: norma, sprinter

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Calor 6 kg Propane issue

· 
Posted: 17.03.2023  ·  #2
Got a big shock today when I went to one of the biggest Calor stockists in Wexford to buy a 6kg propane cylinder - they told me Calor is no longer selling this cylinder in Ireland, BUT it is still listed on the calor.ie site and even suggested as an alternative to the 6 ltr propane cylinder. Anyone know what's the story?

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

Re: Calor, bad news

· 
Posted: 18.03.2023  ·  #3
I think post 1 pretty much covers it all.

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.03.2023  ·  #4
@ntg I don't think it does. Ally said "Users will be able to trade a 3.9kg bottle up to a regular 6kg" but that was not my experience yesterday when I went to buy a 6kg cyl.
I emailed Calor and await their response.

Liked by: ntg

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2023  ·  #5
It will be interesting to see what Calor say, they have been having issues with the 6kg lite ever since it came out as demand stripped supply, but I cant see them dropping the std 6kg bottle. They can be hard to get at times

Liked by: sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Calor, bad news

· 
Posted: 22.03.2023  ·  #6
Quote by the fat controller

It will be interesting to see what Calor say, they have been having issues with the 6kg lite ever since it came out as demand stripped supply, but I cant see them dropping the std 6kg bottle. They can be hard to get at times

a big problem for them is the lack of refill's, quite a few people who use them, have extra cylinders stored which takes them out of circulation.

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2023  ·  #7
I got no email reply from Calor support so I rang them. More bad news - Calor is planning on withdrawing the 6kg propane (red) cylinder from the Irish market by the end of the year. I was planning on switching to the Calor patio heater 6 kg propane cylinder BUT someone warned me that the regulator for that cylinder is rated at 37mbar and so my Truma 4E Combi, which requires gas at 30mbar, will probably not work and is likely to throw up an error code on the control panel relating to gas pressure.
Do any members have expertise or experience relating to this issue? Or other solutions without having to redo my gas press size.
Thanks in advance for assistance/suggestions.

voyager
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.04.2023  ·  #8
Quote by jfly57

I got no email reply from Calor support so I rang them. More bad news - Calor is planning on withdrawing the 6kg propane (red) cylinder from the Irish market by the end of the year. I was planning on switching to the Calor patio heater 6 kg propane cylinder BUT someone warned me that the regulator for that cylinder is rated at 37mbar and so my Truma 4E Combi, which requires gas at 30mbar, will probably not work and is likely to throw up an error code on the control panel relating to gas pressure.
Do any members have expertise or experience relating to this issue? Or other solutions without having to redo my gas press size.
Thanks in advance for assistance/suggestions.

In order to use the 6kg patio gas cylinder, you need to buy a 27mm clip on adapter for the cylinder which does not regulate the gas pressure - its only an on/off valve. For example : https://www.maceoinltd.com/pat…re-adaptor.

You also need to install a stand alone pressure regulator such as a Cavagna from Hamilton Gas Products, or Calor.ie (a rebadged Cavagna) or elsewhere. This will reduce the gas pressure to the required 30 mBar. Mount the regulator to your bulkhead within the gas locker and make sure it is positioned higher than the top of the cylinder outlet. This will ensure any traces of oil contained within the gas run back into the cylinder and will not foul up the operation of the regulator itself over time. Using this type of regulator you will need to turn the gas off at the cylinder adapter when travelling. Alternatively, you can also use a Secumotion type regulator which are more expensive but will allow you to leave the gas on while travelling as it will automatically shut off the gas supply to the motorhome in the event of a collision.

Most importantly, you need to connect the clip-on adapter and regulator using a HIGH PRESSURE gas hose pigtail with screwed end connections. For example: https://www.maceoinltd.com/20-…nut-x-w20/

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.04.2023  ·  #9
I think this would be a good option and well priced but it’s in W Yorks.
Some people get hung up on retest date whilst others say it’s not relevant unless being used commercially ie hire vans.
Others say LPG fill points are been phased out and yet again others say it’ll never happen.

Unfortunately I cannot post a link as it requires you to be a subscribed member

Liked by: JettaJohn

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.04.2023  ·  #10
You really should contact Hamilton's
They trade under
https://www.gasproducts.co.uk/
028 91461111.
They will advise and supply what you need. voyager is right, go down the road of valve and bulkhead regulator, I would add, aslo get a Camping gas adaptor with a hose tail as a backup.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.04.2023  ·  #11
As an aside and in keeping autogas. Dacia are still making new dual fuel cars. It's a crazy pity other manufacturers aren't doing the same.

Liked by: PaulH

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.04.2023  ·  #12
Thanks very much for your detailed reply, it offers me some hope! Could you clarify a few things for me, please?
* I'm a bit confused when you say that the clip-on 27 mm adaptor is only an on-off switch. The one I just bought (they call it a regulator) says on it 37 mbar, so are you saying that 37 mbar is the complete cylinder pressure?
* I already have the Cavagna bulkhead regulator with a high pressure pigtail (POL cylinder connector) in my gas press for my 6kg Calor propane, so do you think I could cut off the POL connecter and shove the hose onto the barbed outlet of the clip-on adaptor, securing with a jubilee clip? or is there an adaptor one can fit to the barbed outlet that can take the POL connector or another pigtail with nut connector.

Thanks again.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.04.2023  ·  #13
Quote by voyager

..................................... Mount the regulator to your bulkhead within the gas locker and make sure it is positioned higher than the top of the cylinder outlet. This will ensure any traces of oil contained within the gas run back into the cylinder and will not foul up the operation of the regulator itself over time. Using this type of regulator you will need to turn the gas off at the cylinder adapter when travelling. Alternatively, you can also use a Secumotion type regulator which are more expensive but will allow you to leave the gas on while travelling as it will automatically shut off the gas supply to the motorhome in the event of a collision. ........................................

One of these types of tails with Rupture Protection could also be used for connecting the bottle to the bulkhead regulator https://www.gasproducts.co.uk/…x-w20.html
They are available with different bottle connections to suit different types of bottles.

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.04.2023  ·  #14
Thanks baguette for that, I'll take a look.

voyager
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.04.2023  ·  #15
Quote by jfly57

* I'm a bit confused when you say that the clip-on 27 mm adaptor is only an on-off switch. The one I just bought (they call it a regulator) says on it 37 mbar, so are you saying that 37 mbar is the complete cylinder pressure?
* I already have the Cavagna bulkhead regulator with a high pressure pigtail (POL cylinder connector) in my gas press for my 6kg Calor propane, so do you think I could cut off the POL connecter and shove the hose onto the barbed outlet of the clip-on adaptor, securing with a jubilee clip? or is there an adaptor one can fit to the barbed outlet that can take the POL connector or another pigtail with nut connector.

What you have bought is a clip-on regulator which reduces the internal cylinder high pressure down to 37mBar outlet pressure. It's good news that you already have a bulkhead regulator fitted, so you don't need another regulator.

Send that back and get the clip-on adapter instead. Then all you need is the high pressure hose with the correct swaged/ threaded ends to connect the adapter to the bulkhead regulator. I have given you links to what you need but you can buy these elsewhere. Be aware you can get the high pressure hoses in two lengths, a short and a longer one to suit your gas locker set up. Best for you to measure the length of your existing one and order a similar length.

You must not cut off the POL connector on your existing hose as jubilee clips are an absolute no-no for connecting hoses to be used for high pressure gas. Get the proper high pressure hose with the correct end fittings and stay safe.

Liked by: baguette, sprinter

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.04.2023  ·  #16
voyager, again thanks a lot. I didn't realise one could get an adaptor - fair dues, you know your stuff 👏 I'll proceed now to track down the bits you mentioned and I'll post again when I have the issue resolved for the benefit of other members similarly caught.

Liked by: petereire

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.04.2023  ·  #17
Quote by Albert the Talbot

I think this would be a good option and well priced but it’s in W Yorks.
Some people get hung up on retest date whilst others say it’s not relevant unless being used commercially ie hire vans.
Others say LPG fill points are been phased out and yet again others say it’ll never happen.

Unfortunately I cannot post a link as it requires you to be a subscribed member

Gasit sell direct from their own website and are based in Wales

Liked by: jfly57

jfly57
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.04.2023  ·  #18
Got the adaptor and matching pigtail from McEoins in Dingle in 2 days, great service. Must use up my full red 12 kg cylinder first and then I'll change over.

Liked by: voyager

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.