joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Discrimination?

· 
Posted: 04.11.2022  ·  #1
This might cause me some grief in the future but here goes anyway.

I own a 50 plus year old cruiser on the Irish inland waterways. I'm also lucky enough to own a much younger motorhome. When I pull into a public harbour in my old cruiser I'm allowed to stay for up to 5 days for free in the summer season. But when I pull into the harbour car park in my motorhome (assuming there's no barrier) I will invariably find signs saying no overnight parking or in Portumna I'll have to pay €10 per night.

Now both the harbour and it's jetties and the car park have been paid for by our taxes. So why is it free to use harbours with few restrictions for overnighting but motorhomers are either banned from overnighting or charged for this? Is this discrimination against motorhome owners and favourism to boat owners? Is it time to get the government to be non-discriminatory in how it spends our taxes and how it decides which tax funded facilities are free and which are either charged for or taken away altogether.

Now I realise that if this discrimination is to be removed it might be that the government starts charging boat owners to use these public harbours instead of allowing motorhome owners to also use the facilities free of charge. And this is why I'm reluctant to raise the issue. But fairs fair after all and the reduction of overnight parking for motorhomes or charging for these while at the same time providing the same free to boat owners is just not on.

Interested to hear if any organisation in Ireland has already raised this with our government or politicians.

Thanks.

Liked by: Ally, lapsed

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Discrimination?

· 
Posted: 04.11.2022  ·  #2
Have you considered butting a small outboard on the bike wrack, and if asked, you have amphibious motorhome, but it has sprung a leak, and you had to take it out of the water and you just can't get it back into the water until the Insurance tell you what to do,
( do you have any kind of breakdown assist on the cruiser) or tell them you are waiting for ADAC in Germany to give you breakdown assist. 🤔

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: Discrimination?

· 
Posted: 04.11.2022  ·  #3
Get one of these [url=

] and problem solved.
Just drive down the slipway and around to one of the berths. Should also solve the issue in Galway too 8-) :P .

roadrunner
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: self build from library bus
Base Vehicle: iveco 59 e 12 2.8 turbo iris bus
Subject:

re parking

· 
Posted: 02.01.2023  ·  #4
Its everywhere, you cannot park a van or m home in a NR railway car park so as to take the train to Belfast, pleasure or work, all the parkups have h barriers, does anyone know if you can buy a battery-powered hacksaw LOL.

Liked by: JJF, sprinter

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.01.2023  ·  #5
Quote by roadrunner

does anyone know if you can buy a battery-powered hacksaw LOL.

Not sure about battery powered hacksaw…..

But Dewalt do a nice little 4 & 1/2 inch battery powered angle grinder !

Hoping this assists you with your query……. keep us updated !

Liked by: eirebus, rebbyvid

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.01.2023  ·  #6
Quote by roadrunner

Its everywhere, you cannot park a van or m home in a NR railway car park so as to take the train to Belfast, pleasure or work, all the parkups have h barriers, does anyone know if you can buy a battery-powered hacksaw LOL.

12V cordless reciprocating saw, :-/ Bosch’s PS60 has both the smallest and lightest. O-)

Liked by: DaveC56

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2023  ·  #7
Quote by roadrunner

At present there are no barriers at Moira halt but thats a bit out of the way for you

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.