StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Croatia in a MH?

· 
Posted: 08.12.2022  ·  #1
Looking ahead to my winter 2024 trip and I’m thinking about leaving Ireland early September and heading either from Cherbourg to Croatia (1900km) if I head relatively in a straight line or Bilbao to Croatia approximately adds 100km. So for me either way it would be 8 to 10 days until I got to Croatia.

I haven’t checked with Dolmens insurance yet to see if I’m covered in Croatia, does anyone know? Or do I buy extra insurance at the boarder?

Also I see Croatia has hrk Croatian kunas so I have to change some euros, I guess?

Anyone travelled in Croatia with a MH? Any tips advice? Is Lpg for Gaslow available?

What are the sites like?

I’d probably stay about 4 weeks before heading west back to Spain.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Croatia in a MH?

· 
Posted: 08.12.2022  ·  #2
StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2022  ·  #3
Quote by JJF

Following.

I’ve been looking to Jamie, be a smashing trip.

I’ve given myself plenty of time to do some research.

How’s Spain? I reckon it will be full be the time I come back at the start of January I might have to look at some more obscure places.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2022  ·  #4
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

How’s Spain? I reckon it will be full be the time I come back at the start of January I might have to look at some more obscure places.

Much quieter.
90 day rule are keeping the brits away, or at least not staying as long.
Sites emptying quicker, higher turnover.
Weather has been mixed, lovely when it’s sunny but cloudier is more normal.

Come home tomorrow, fly back out on Wednesday next.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2022  ·  #5
Quote by JJF

Much quieter.
90 day rule are keeping the brits away, or at least not staying as long.
Sites emptying quicker, higher turnover.
Weather has been mixed, lovely when it’s sunny but cloudier is more normal.

Come home tomorrow, fly back out on Wednesday next.

I met a few Brits when were over and the 90 days was a big issue. I reckon that after Xmas and new year there will be surge in the French, Germans, Dutch, Scandinavians and Brits heading south.
Bloody cold here and likely to be for the duration of your stay here.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2022  ·  #6
I haven’t checked with Dolmens insurance yet to see if I’m covered in Croatia, does anyone know? Or do I buy extra insurance at the boarder?

Croatia has just joined the Shengan agreement so I'd say you have normal EU cover on your insurance

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.12.2022  ·  #7

Croatia has just joined the Shengan agreement so I'd say you have normal EU cover on your insurance

That’ll pose a problem for those with a British passport who are affected by the 90 day rule, many used Croatia as a way round the Shengan rules.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.12.2022  ·  #8
Quote by eirebus

I did not know this, luckily for me I wasn’t going to go to Croatia to increase my 90 days in 180 days but as Jon says many Brits did go for Schengen clock to be stopped. Good news about the insurance implications.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.12.2022  ·  #9
Quote by eirebus

I checked after your post.
https://www.politico.eu/articl…-2023/amp/

You are right.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.12.2022  ·  #10
Jamie,
Some time ago I’d looked at a trip taking in Croatia, but a bit more protracted taking in:

Ireland
France
Ferry to Corsica from Marseille/Nice
Ferry to Sardinia
Ferry to Sicily
Up through Italy
Around top into Croatia via Slovenia

Back via:
Austria
Germany
France
Ireland

But weather in these regions can be cold if travelling in our usual time of Sept-March.

The ferry prices were not extortionate, the most expensive being the one from Sardinia to Sicily.
I’d love to do the Islands, spending time on each one.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.12.2022  ·  #11
Quote by JJF

Jamie,
Some time ago I’d looked at a trip taking in Croatia, but a bit more protracted taking in:

Ireland
France
Ferry to Corsica from Marseille/Nice
Ferry to Sardinia
Ferry to Sicily
Up through Italy
Around top into Croatia via Slovenia

Back via:
Austria
Germany
France
Ireland

But weather in these regions can be cold if travelling in our usual time of Sept-March.

The ferry prices were not extortionate, the most expensive being the one from Sardinia to Sicily.

I had a quick look at some maps yesterday ( I still owe you for the Spanish Portuguese atlas) and I’m thinking Cherbourg then Belgium/Holland I want to cross into Germany north of Koblenz head south towards stuttgart and Munich and cross into Austria around Salzburg into Slovenia and then Croatia.
I might look at Ferry options to get across to Italy and drive across then Italy maybe via Sardinia to Spain. I don’t want to be in Italy for too long as refilling gas low is meant to be difficult and their driving scares me.

Liked by: JJF

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.12.2022  ·  #12
and their driving scares me.

😂 I admire your honesty

mtravel
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Carthago Malibu 600DB
Base Vehicle: FIat Ducato 2.3 140CV
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2022  ·  #13

Quote by JJF

Jamie,

I had a quick look at some maps yesterday ( I still owe you for the Spanish Portuguese atlas) and I’m thinking Cherbourg then Belgium/Holland I want to cross into Germany north of Koblenz head south towards stuttgart and Munich and cross into Austria around Salzburg into Slovenia and then Croatia.
I might look at Ferry options to get across to Italy and drive across then Italy maybe via Sardinia to Spain. I don’t want to be in Italy for too long as refilling gas low is meant to be difficult and their driving scares me.

ITALY:
well, well, well.
Italian legislation requires the gas tank to be marked on the vehicle registration document.
This applies to Italian vehicles, I don't think there are problems with foreign ones.
It is true that refueling points are seldom available in the south, gas cars are mainly circulating in the north where it is not difficult to find LPG distributors.
Attention, we also use methane but it is another gas.

As for driving style, sorry but it's you who don't know how to drive.
At least we don't have cat's eyes and nobody mounts mirrorguards. Smile and re-smile.

CROATIA:
I haven't been to Croatia for decades, geez, there were still pictures of Tito in the shops even though he was already dead.
But I read and inform myself, one day or another I'll be back.

- Path. To get there you will almost certainly have to go through Slovenia and buy their motorway vignette.
There is the possibility of avoiding their highways but it is not so immediate.
If anyone is interested I can retrieve information on how to do it.

- Wild camp. Strictly prohibited. Some possibility of overnight stay in small restaurants and taverns.
Or the campsites.

- Campsites. Once cheap and of medium level, they are now often tourist villages with all the services and consequently also the prices.
Pay attention to the opening times.

- Schengen. Croatia was long overdue.
From the North Cape to Gibraltar only Romania and Bulgaria remain. Assuming you like their sea.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2022  ·  #14
Quote by mtravel

Quote by JJF

Jamie,

ITALY:
well, well, well.
Italian legislation requires the gas tank to be marked on the vehicle registration document.
This applies to Italian vehicles, I don't think there are problems with foreign ones.
It is true that refueling points are seldom available in the south, gas cars are mainly circulating in the north where it is not difficult to find LPG distributors.
Attention, we also use methane but it is another gas.

As for driving style, sorry but it's you who don't know how to drive.
At least we don't have cat's eyes and nobody mounts mirrorguards. Smile and re-smile.

CROATIA:
I haven't been to Croatia for decades, geez, there were still pictures of Tito in the shops even though he was already dead.
But I read and inform myself, one day or another I'll be back.

- Path. To get there you will almost certainly have to go through Slovenia and buy their motorway vignette.
There is the possibility of avoiding their highways but it is not so immediate.
If anyone is interested I can retrieve information on how to do it.

- Wild camp. Strictly prohibited. Some possibility of overnight stay in small restaurants and taverns.
Or the campsites.

- Campsites. Once cheap and of medium level, they are now often tourist villages with all the services and consequently also the prices.
Pay attention to the opening times.

- Schengen. Croatia was long overdue.
From the North Cape to Gibraltar only Romania and Bulgaria remain. Assuming you like their sea.

Yes I do think I’ll be going through Slovenia so I will look into the vignettes. As for Italians driving “skills/style” I’m not saying my skill or style is better but I don’t want combine our styles!!! I want a holiday not an extreme sport adventure.
And whilst I don’t like the Italian driving style I do like proper Italian food. And I don’t mind limoncello or peroni.
From the little research I’ve done I see most sites operate from April til October. Noted re wild camping, €350/€400 fine.

I’ve read that Italians have a different VAT/tax rate for lpg for engine fuel as opposed to cooking and heating use which is apparently why MHs are not permitted to refuel lpg at garages, this is hearsay.

mtravel
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Carthago Malibu 600DB
Base Vehicle: FIat Ducato 2.3 140CV
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2022  ·  #15

Yes I do think I’ll be going through Slovenia so I will look into the vignettes. As for Italians driving “skills/style” I’m not saying my skill or style is better but I don’t want combine our styles!!! I want a holiday not an extreme sport adventure.
And whilst I don’t like the Italian driving style I do like proper Italian food. And I don’t mind limoncello or peroni.
From the little research I’ve done I see most sites operate from April til October. Noted re wild camping, €350/€400 fine.

I’ve read that Italians have a different VAT/tax rate for lpg for engine fuel as opposed to cooking and heating use which is apparently why MHs are not permitted to refuel lpg at garages, this is hearsay.

That's the case, but since last year there shouldn't be any more LPG refueling problems in the case of fixed tanks under the floor.
The case of refillable bottles (e.g. Gaslow or Alugas) is different.
On the edge of legality, someone fills them and someone refuses to do so.

Max

p.s. We have better beer than Peroni.
And liqueurs better than limoncello...
I like Fernet (Branca, the original one), very bitter made with 27 different herbs and a secret recipe, only the designated heir of the family knows it.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.