StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Air fryer equals less off grid camping

· 
Posted: 15.11.2022  ·  #1
So in addition to the hob and oven last year we took a cadac bbq with pizza stone and a slow cooker it gave us plenty of options. This year we took an air fryer as well it’s great and not just for chips. Last night A cooked a roast pork and whilst that was resting some roast potatoes all in the air fryer a few veggies on the hob and some gravy it was great.
We have used the air fryer a lot but it does mean we need ehu ( at least 6amps) and nothing much else using electricity at the same time. We have been running our fridge freezer on lpg exclusively for the entire trip.
I have been monitoring our electricity consumption via a plug in meter and even using the air fryer a lot we are using less than 3kwh per day.

The 800gram pork cooked in 45 minutes on 180 degrees c the spuds about 25 minutes on 200 degrees. Our fryer is not that big or as powerful as some on the market, we chose ours based on space and energy consumption.

In my previous van we only had a hob no grill no oven and we were fine but we did look for pizza places a lot and other take away options. Now we don’t bother, we haven’t had a take away or eaten out since we have been here.

We haven’t stayed off grid as much as previous years, instead we have been staying on commercial Aires and campsites. We have tried quite a few sites new to us and have found some great places.

Anyway back to the air fryer it’s great and it’s quite amazing the stuff you can cook in it, if you like cooking, we both do, and you have the space to carry it then try it. Ours will definitely be in the van on our next trip.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Air fryer equals less off grid camping

· 
Posted: 15.11.2022  ·  #2
StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2022  ·  #3
Quote by the fat controller

I am definitely not telling the wife about this as she would want to carry one with us even though we never go to sites lol

Ha ha.
You are right though no point in taking it if you can’t hook up.
And to be honest if I was out for a weekend or a week I would not bother with it. But I do miss a proper roast and whilst you can find places in Spain and Portugal that serve up a roast it’s not so easy with a demanding dog in tow.

Liked by: sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2022  ·  #4
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

I am definitely not telling the wife about this as she would want to carry one with us even though we never go to sites lol

Ha ha.
And to be honest if I was out for a weekend or a week I would not bother with it. But I do miss a proper roast and whilst you can find places in Spain and Portugal that serve up a roast it’s not so easy with a demanding dog in tow.

Why is he a Vegan?🐶 😂

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2022  ·  #5
Quote by sprinter

Ha ha.

Why is he a Vegan?🐶 😂

No the dog would eat anything but finding restaurants that let you take the dog inside or that have an outside eating area that’s harder. The places that do traditional roasts are the Brit holiday hot spots that generally don’t appeal to me.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

on Air fryer equals less off grid camping

· 
Posted: 15.11.2022  ·  #6

Quote by sprinter

Ha ha.

Why is he a Vegan?🐶 😂

No the dog would eat anything but finding restaurants that let you take the dog inside or that have an outside eating area that’s harder. The places that do traditional roasts are the Brit holiday hot spots that generally don’t appeal to me.

Jami slightly off topic, pros and cons, of bringing the dog, I know you're away for a long time so it's never going to happen, but for a short trip, would you leave it at home with a minder or family, would it possible give you more flexibility?

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2022  ·  #7
Quote by sprinter

Quote by sprinter

Ha ha.

Why is he a Vegan?🐶 😂

Jami slightly off topic, pros and cons, of bringing the dog, I know you're away for a long time so it's never going to happen, but for a short trip, would you leave it at home with a minder or family, would it possible give you more flexibility?

After we lost our previous dog we decided no more dogs for a while to allow us more flexibility. But then Bertie just arrived at the campsite and despite efforts to find his owners we ended up keeping him. He is very sensitive especially to noise, he hates fireworks, gun shots, motorbike engine noise, he hates the fridge clicking on electricity hence we run it on gas. Would I be without him? No for all his quirks and the high maintenance, he makes walk him three times a day, even in the rain.

When he leaves us will we get another? No not intentionally at least for a while.

Liked by: eirebus, ntg, sprinter, TommyS

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2022  ·  #8

Quote by sprinter

Quote by sprinter

Ha ha.

Why is he a Vegan?🐶 😂

After we lost our previous dog we decided no more dogs for a while to allow us more flexibility. But then Bertie just arrived at the campsite and despite efforts to find his owners we ended up keeping him. He is very sensitive especially to noise, he hates fireworks, gun shots, motorbike engine noise, he hates the fridge clicking on electricity hence we run it on gas. Would I be without him? No for all his quirks and the high maintenance, he makes walk him three times a day, even in the rain.

When he leaves us will we get another? No not intentionally at least for a while.

Same here with us, 40 years of having dogs,after a break of 2 years, Liath arrived on Christmas morning for 3days in 2017, she is still sitting behind me on the sofa, the problem is as a rescue, we have no pedigree papers, without which, she as category 2 will not be let into France not sure about Spain. so going across the water is a problem.

lapsed
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2022  ·  #9
Quote by sprinter

Quote by sprinter

Quote by sprinter

Ha ha.

Why is he a Vegan?🐶 😂

Same here with us, 40 years of having dogs,after a break of 2 years, Liath arrived on Christmas morning for 3days in 2017, she is still sitting behind me on the sofa, the problem is as a rescue, we have no pedigree papers, without which, she as category 2 will not be let into France not sure about Spain. so going across the water is a problem.

So my wee lurcher rescue won't be able to travel to the continent ? If you've a link to these regs could you please post it ?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2022  ·  #10
eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2022  ·  #11

Could you not get a letter from the vets or the rescue centre to get an exemption, she's such a lovely placid dog

lapsed
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2022  ·  #12
sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2022  ·  #13
Quote by eirebus

Could you not get a letter from the vets or the rescue centre to get an exemption, she's such a lovely placid dog

Unfortunately there seems to be no word, in the French language for reasonable.
What I need is someone with papers for a 5year old Brindle/black and white, Staffy female, who will give me a copy.

Liked by: eirebus

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2022  ·  #14

Ha ha.

We have used an Actifry in the house quite a lot for about 7 year but never thought of one in the van. What models did you research and finally choose.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2022  ·  #15
Quote by Mark&Wendy

Ha ha.

We have used an Actifry in the house quite a lot for about 7 year but never thought of one in the van. What models did you research and finally choose.

Tefal 1.4ltrs I think, it’s supposedly big enough to cook a 1.2kg chicken. Amanda did the research. It’s big enough for two people.

Liked by: Mark&Wendy, sprinter

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2022  ·  #16
It’s big enough for two people.

That's very big, do the Spanish allow you put people in them , I think it's illegal here 😁😁

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2022  ·  #17
Someone find something for Dave to do, he's obviously got too much time on his hands. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Liked by: eirebus, ntg, sprinter, TommyS

lapsed
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2022  ·  #18
Tower T170176

11 ltr Digital AF plus oven rotisserie !

On offer @DID.

I've been looking for a rotisserie for ages
So now can combine the two.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2022  ·  #19
Quote by eirebus

It’s big enough for two people.

That's very big, do the Spanish allow you put people in them , I think it's illegal here 😁😁

I was thinking that it would be great, you could use it as a hottub, and realy piss off the other Campers. 🤔😅😭🤣

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.