harringtonp
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Concorde Compact 98
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Emptying a Toilet Offsite

· 
Posted: 26.09.2022  ·  #1
Have not had to deal with this yet as haven't been away long enough but for those staying off grid what are the options for getting rid of toilet waste.

Was chatting to a lady from the council in Lahinch who keeps an eye on the public toilets. Always lots of campers on the prom there and they're generally welcomed but there are signs everywhere saying no camper waste in the public toilets. When I asked her why she said the smell. Didn't think it would be an issue but she is in the room next door and says she knows straight away as soon as a cassette is emptied.

People ask her what they should do and she suggested offering the local campsite a tenner to dispose but people have come back saying the campsite won't entertain it. When I suggested that (some) desperate people may dump indiscriminately she said it's already happened.... I'll spare yous the details...

So what are the options ? Do piers usually have toilet waste facilities for boats ? Other options ?

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

Re: Emptying a Toilet Offsite

· 
Posted: 26.09.2022  ·  #2
It’s worth having two cassettes for that very situation we carry two thankfully we’ve only ever had to use the second one once I means you have time then to find somewhere which you can empty

Liked by: Europa

harringtonp
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.09.2022  ·  #3
Would it be a case that even if people prefer off grid that they would check into a campsite every few days just for the emptying ?

Liked by: eirebus, Europa, sprinter

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.09.2022  ·  #4
Quote by harringtonp

Would it be a case that even if people prefer off grid that they would check into a campsite every few days just for the emptying ?

Generally I don't like campsites and this is exactly what I do when the cassette is getting full. It also helps to dump whenever the opportunity arises, even if the cassette is less than quarter full. If you're in a bar, hotel. restaurant, use their facilities before heading back to the MH..

Liked by: sprinter

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2022  ·  #5
We were nearly caught out once, resulting in driving around for a few miles to find a public loo to empty the cassette.
So I bought a couple of large black plastic 'Jerry cans' from Wolohans, they have the usual screw cap at the top but also a screw cap in the middle on one side.
This means we can slide one under the sink drain when needed, and use the other to empty the cassette into in emergencies. Both have worked well when needed so far, and way cheaper than a spare cassette.👍

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2022  ·  #6
I carry two of those black containers to dump grey water to save me moving the van. Have you noticed its easier to carry two full ones than one single one. I dont want to get big muscles on one side

Liked by: sprinter, tony glenn

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2022  ·  #7
You can buy stuff that is like cat litter that can absorb and deodorise the effluent, you literally put it into a bin liner or similar, put the bin liner in a bucket and pour the effluent into it and apparently it's perfectly safe to put in a domestic waste stream o.O . It could get you out of a tricky situation.

At the end of the day however, why do local authorities spend so much time doing stupid sh*t rather than addressing a service need of visitors to a community? Taking Lahinch as the example above, is it really more efficient to have a lady "watching the toilets" than adding a drain outside the toilet block for emptying cassettes? Any smell will dissipate in seconds and I'm not convinced that the smell in the toilet would be any worse after emptying a cassette than from the aftermath of a night of porter.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2022  ·  #8
Quote by Flipperdipper

Quote by harringtonp

"Generally I don't like "
"campsites and this is exactly what I do when the cassette is getting full".
"It also helps to dump whenever the opportunity arises",
" even if the cassette is less than quarter full"
" If you're in a bar, hotel. restaurant, use their facilities before heading back to the MH "..

Flippers, is probably the best bit of advise, ( not just because he from the SSE ) especially the last bit, Use all other facilities available, before your own.

I'm a believer in the second container, I carry a second cassette, and have modified the wast tank outlet, so as to be able to decant into it, if needed, trough the neck.
I would add, use public toilets to empty , but do it discreetly, and carefully not to make a mess, either early morning or late evening, before the cassette gets too full and you look like your carrying a dead body, don't make it look obvious, put the cassette in a carrier bag, you don't always have to rinse it.

Don't, ever, ever, use one of the Superloos , they do not have a holding tank, only pipework, and a limited flushing system, the bowel may not take full cassette capacity ,so you may have a lot of your own stuff around your feet.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2022  ·  #9
Disguise your cassette as wheelie luggage and you can glide through any hotel foyer unnoticed.

harringtonp
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2022  ·  #10
And what about piers ? Has anyone ever found a facility there ?

What do fishing/leisure/sailing boats do ? Dump at sea ?

harringtonp
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2022  ·  #11
Quote by <BM>

At the end of the day however, why do local authorities spend so much time doing stupid sh*t rather than addressing a service need of visitors to a community? Taking Lahinch as the example above, is it really more efficient to have a lady "watching the toilets" than adding a drain outside the toilet block for emptying cassettes? Any smell will dissipate in seconds and I'm not convinced that the smell in the toilet would be any worse after emptying a cassette than from the aftermath of a night of porter.

In Lahinch the toilets were first monitored regularly during covid and for different reasons. It is a busy place most of the year round and there are usually a couple of council workers around during the day (in addition to whoever is checking parking tickets) emptying bins and doing other bits and pieces. They try and stop wetsuits being washed in the toilet block too, there is an outside tap for that.

I did actually mention an outside shore but she rightly pointed out that all sorts of other stuff would be dumped in that too. It's a difficult one but it would be great to see a proper waste facility there, a lot of money has been pumped into other improvements over the years.

Do council facilities exist anywhere in the country that provide cassette emptying facilities ?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2022  ·  #12
Quote by harringtonp

Do council facilities exist anywhere in the country that provide cassette emptying facilities ?

In Donegal.
Carndonagh
Buncrana
Magharoarty

There is others too.

Liked by: harringtonp

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2022  ·  #13
Quote by harringtonp

Quote by <BM>

In Lahinch the toilets were first monitored regularly during covid and for different reasons. It is a busy place most of the year round and there are usually a couple of council workers around during the day (in addition to whoever is checking parking tickets) emptying bins and doing other bits and pieces. They try and stop wetsuits being washed in the toilet block too, there is an outside tap for that.

I did actually mention an outside shore but she rightly pointed out that all sorts of other stuff would be dumped in that too. It's a difficult one but it would be great to see a proper waste facility there, a lot of money has been pumped into other improvements over the years.

Ah seriously, is this the crap we're dealing with. Cork Co Co have a black waste drop at the Cobh Aire and Waterford in Dungarvan, there are others but I'm not sure if they're Local Authority owned.

If it weren't for the fact that it comes with you in the camper, nobody would haul a cassette with them to dump at a black waste drain outside a public toilet, they'd just put it down the toilet or down a manhole at home.

Don't get me wrong, people put all sorts down their toilets that they shouldn't but fundamentally, they do this through laziness and ignorance, they're not going to make a journey to do it.

Pirahna
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2022  ·  #14
I've wild camped for years, home and abroad, in tents and vans. My approach is for number ones do it wherever is convenient, could be the cassette, could be behind a bush, could be one of the suggestions below.

Number twos. First choice is someone else's toilet. Supermarkets are good, Tesco always have a customer loo, petrol stations, coffee shop, there's lots around. Don't worry about walking into a place, using the loo and walking out again, you're not obliged to buy anything to justify yourself. If you can't find a public toilet poo into a plastic bag, toilet paper in the bag as well, tie it up and bin it. If I'm cycling I'll skip the Plato bag, dig a hole, poo in it and bury it, I've been in deserts where I've just piled rocks on it, just be creative and don't leave a mess.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2022  ·  #15
Quote by Pirahna

I've wild camped for years, home and abroad, I've been in deserts where I've just piled rocks on it, just be creative and don't leave a mess.

It' you obviousley enjoy returning to this place Malcolm.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2022  ·  #16
I thought the three shells routine was all that was needed :/

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2022  ·  #17
Pasted excerpt from Piranha's reply:
"Don't worry about walking into a place, using the loo and walking out again, you're not obliged to buy anything to justify yourself"
Would that be a reciprocal arrangement? If the business owner (who pays for the toilet you use for free) be able to climb into your camper, use the loo and walk out again? Just asking.....

Liked by: Ally, Billy H, norma, sprinter

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2022  ·  #18
Quote by tony glenn

"Don't worry about walking into a place, using the loo and walking out again, you're not obliged to buy anything to justify yourself"
Would that be a reciprocal arrangement? If the business owner (who pays for the toilet you use for free) be able to climb into your camper, use the loo and walk out again? Just asking.....

I was thinking about this myself, I know if you had of walked into my pub and used the toilets and didn't buy anything, I wouldn't be best pleased. For a lot of reasons!

I certainly wouldn't do it myself.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2022  ·  #19
Having had at least 3 people who were not paying campers on the campsite walk in and use my toilets and showers without asking or paying until they were caught. I don’t agree with using a businesses loo unless you are a paying customer.
I realise that it is hard when camping off grid to get rid of rubbish, gray water and black water. On my site I don’t offer a passer by service. Another Aire near me will reluctantly let someone empty their cassette but charges €10 another close by will charge between €15 and €20 and take a bag of rubbish and will let you fill up with water.
No easy solution at present in Ireland unless Councils delivered more Aires.
Second cassette and stay on a site when needed.
In Spain 9 years ago I met a MH owner who would drive a 50 mile round trip to use a free service point rather than pay €2 three miles away as he did not want to pay but spent more on diesel than not paying.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2022  ·  #20
StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2022  ·  #21
Quote by JJF

Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

In Spain 9 years ago I met a MH owner who would drive a 50 mile round trip to use a free service point rather than pay €2 three miles away as he did not want to pay but spent more on diesel than not paying.

I think you spelled idiot wrong !

Well spotted, I did.
I have met the type who could peel an orange in their pocket and the opposite to with motorhome owners who would gladly give you their last beer.

There are some who go through life trying to pay the least as possible even if it costs them more in the long run.

Liked by: Ally, Europa, JJF, sprinter

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2022  ·  #22
I recall sitting in a bar in Ballydehob a few years ago. Two local tree-huggers came in and asked the barman for two cups of boiling water. They then sat down and out their organic tea bags in the cups. It gets better....when they took the teabags out, they went back to the bar and asked for boiling water top-ups to replace what the teabags soaked up. True story.
Ally would have been incandescent 😂

Liked by: Ally

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2022  ·  #23
Quote by Ally

Quote by tony glenn

I was thinking about this myself, I know if you had of walked into my pub and used the toilets and didn't buy anything, I wouldn't be best pleased. For a lot of reasons!

I certainly wouldn't do it myself.

I think you will find, that the owners of Pub;s Restaurant's and shops, have every right to challenge and refuse to allow anyone to use their facilities, on the basis that they are provided for customers only.
if parked up near a pub, and go for a drink, It's another reason why you should always get a receipt. So you can call back later. 😏

Liked by: Ally, ColinM

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2022  ·  #24
Quote by tony glenn

I recall sitting in a bar in Ballydehob a few years ago. Two local Climate Realists with a vegetarian habit came in and asked the barman for two cups of boiling water. They then sat down and out their organic tea bags in the cups. It gets better....when they took the teabags out, they went back to the bar and asked for boiling water top-ups to replace what the teabags soaked up. True story.

Fixed that for you. :happy:

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2022  ·  #25
Quote by Ally

Quote by tony glenn

I recall sitting in a bar in Ballydehob a few years ago. Two local Climate Realists with a vegetarian habit came in and asked the barman for two cups of boiling water. They then sat down and out their organic tea bags in the cups. It gets better....when they took the teabags out, they went back to the bar and asked for boiling water top-ups to replace what the teabags soaked up. True story.

Fixed that for you. :happy:

😂😂😂✌ Love and peace, man.

Liked by: Ally

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2022  ·  #26
So, here are a couple of answers to the 'problem'. There is no excuse for not providing cassette emptying facilities

This is the new installation at Midleton, it's fully compliant with all regulations. The unit cost €925 and the installation was carried out by council staff as part of their normal work.
BTW, there is a flushing version also available at an extra cost.

And, for a council really strapped for money, here are a couple of really low-cost solutions.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2022  ·  #27
The green box is what is at Portrush Aire.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2022  ·  #28
I've seen the top pipe type in Argeles - sur- Mer. It probably cost €30.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.10.2022  ·  #29
Funny when you think about it the green box sluice seems better than a pipe slightly wider than the spout on the cassette but the reality is the pipe is cheaper and often a lot cleaner than the big sluice where people often pour all around the area.

Liked by: baguette

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.10.2022  ·  #30
I've used the top pipe on a Camping Carpark aire recently , it was very easy to use, and seemed cleaner than some other designs to me. Maybe it's men that normally empty at it, and their aim could slightly better. 🤔

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.10.2022  ·  #31
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Funny when you think about it the green box sluice seems better than a pipe slightly wider than the spout on the cassette but the reality is the pipe is cheaper and often a lot cleaner than the big sluice where people often pour all around the area.

The voice of experience :-)

The old KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle is rarely beaten

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.10.2022  ·  #32
It need not be difficult.
Problem is the folk responsible for providing/designing know as much about what is required as a greyhound knows about a knitting machine, and that’s absolutely nothing.
Local group gave some idiot ‘professional’ €2500 for a site study and they came back with a figure over 20K to put in services.

I added the stuff below (many of you have been here & used it) , simple join into suir, riser going to a 6 inch adapter and lid added. Tap & hose above emptying point to rinse …. I’ve never had to clean up after a single user.

Fresh water tap to the left for filling up fresh water.

3 EHU points on 6a trips in the parking area, 1100 litre bin for rubbish.

All in I’d say I didn’t spend 500 euro, mind the site was already finished as it had a prior use.
Many, many aires in Europe provide this simple setup, it works and is proven effective. It possibly is too easy and in-expensive as many of our gobshites gombeens public officials wouldn’t be able to glean a brown envelope from supporting it.

Paying stupid amounts for sluices, stuff that isn’t required is what is wrong with most setups and this in turn hinders any progression and service provision.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.10.2022  ·  #33
Probably like many of you I’ve used toilet empty points that were over designed and under thought out by a non MH user. The old Aire at Malaga carrefour was a prime example the empty point was a risen brick structure well above waist height with a 6” metal lid that opened to a grid, ideal for catching big lumps and toilet paper. Being so high caused other problems as was very evident around the base of the structure who didn’t have Colin Ms aim.
The rinse tap was located a distance away next to potable water tap which meant both were used.
As Baguette says K I S S

Liked by: ColinM, JJF

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.10.2022  ·  #34
Because council workers know best and have available money that isn't theirs.

"you find that out, here is money to do it" "OK well if that's what it costs let's do that"

As the mayor said to me at TourismNI awards about MPI after it was successful, "there are loads of grants available you could apply for, we could get you plenty of money"

Ten of us at £75 a head at the awards paid for by those attending, ten councilors at £75 a head congratulating themselves at our expense over work completed by someone else (local attraction).

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.