Con910
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Burstner T680 2005
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

Cornwall?

· 
Posted: 22.01.2022  ·  #1
Bhuel a Chairde, due to an affection for Rick Stein's cooking and the scenery in his TV series my better half is looking to explore Cornwall this year. I know I will research myself over time but I thought I should ask all the sages here as well! Any suggestions/recommendations. Rosslare to Pembroke seems the most sensible option and head south then. Getting excited now 8-) :D

Liked by: Ally, panda, sprinter

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Cornwall?

· 
Posted: 23.01.2022  ·  #2
Inherently very small roads for Motorhomes with very few places to stay unless you book ahead. Never been just going on what others have said.

I'm sure @heanorboy or @rebbyvid will be along to advise.

Liked by: eirebus

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2022  ·  #3
As a Cornish man, I concur with Ally. Padstow (padstein) like many Cornish fishing towns and villages are lovely but Cornwall is so busy, pretty much all year, the B roads are like Irish L roads in some cases. Don’t even attempt to travel in summer on a Friday or Saturday unless you like staring at stationary traffic.

Stick to A30, A38, A39 find a site and cycle (many hills) or hire a car.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2022  ·  #4
StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2022  ·  #5
Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2022  ·  #6
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

As a Cornish man

Oh yeah, forgot that.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2022  ·  #7
Quote by Ally

Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

As a Cornish man

Oh yeah, forgot that.

I haven’t got a Cornish accent even though my mum was born in the house I now own and my grandfather was the coastguard there. I left Cornwall as a 17 year old returned at 24 left again as 28 year old and now I’m basically a vagrant.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2022  ·  #8
We did Cornwall in May 2016. Narrow roads, narrower streets and lots of slow traffic, nowhere to park even by day not to mention overnight.
We were forced to use Caravan Club CL's and Caravan Parks which were usually in rural locations so we got to see and do very little of the tourist stuff.
Won't be going back unless we do hotels or B&B's.

Liked by: eirebus, milliekk, panda

voyager
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2022  ·  #9
We did Cornwall in 2010. Joined the Caravan and Motorhome Club just to avail of the campsites along the planned itinerary. Pitches were not cheap but the facilities were exceptional. We had bikes which were fantastic to get to see the sights. Cornwall is beautiful. Think Kerry except with a lot more rolling hills. Yes the rural roads are narrow, but surely no worse than along our WAW. Loads of tourists, even in relatively low season. Very popular with retirees.

We visited Boscastle (2004 flood), Tintagel Castle, Port Isaac(Doc Martin), Padstow (yes had the fish'n'chips at Rick Stein's), St Ives, St Michael's Mount. It would have been extremely difficult to get into most of these places/find parking with a motorhome, but easy if you have bikes. We will go back as there is so much more to see.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2022  ·  #10
Did it 30 odd years ago by car and it was difficult then ,glad I went but wouldn't go back especially in a camper, the area is just not really suitable ,low point,got clamped for parking on a private road ( never knew they existed ) high point,came across a sign saying Police accident when we got to the accident it was a police car smashed into a narrow bridge 😁

Liked by: panda

mtravel
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Carthago Malibu 600DB
Base Vehicle: FIat Ducato 2.3 140CV
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2022  ·  #11
I have been to Cornwall twice. Driving a motorhome I mean.
Certainly some roads are narrow but nothing that is not passable or that is not also found in Ireland.
If you know the one leading to Mizen Head or have traveled the Ring of Beara, Cornwall's narrowest roads are comparable.

If something hasn't changed, stopovers with allowed overnight in Praa Sands at GPS 50.10459, ‐5.39036, in Lynton at GPS 51.22852, ‐3.83287 and in St. Ives at GPS GPS 50.20933, ‐5.49419.

Liked by: Ally

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2022  ·  #12
Not an expert on Cornwall and second week in September last year was my first venture down there . Did a month tour so stopped at a few places going and coming home . Had a cheap 4 night stay at Haven Perran Sands for less than £40.(similar dates without discount this year £51) We tend to park up most places and use our bus passes on the local transport. The downside here was the buses tend to run when they want and often don't even turn up so we spent a lot of time stood at bus stops or walking to find an alternative. One bus we were looking forward to using was the open top coastliner but it stopped running on our first day and they didn't tell anybody :'( . We did manage to walk down the beach to Perranporth (lovely beach full of surfers) got the bus to Newquay, the city of Truro and St Ives. As said roads were narrow in parts and very busy but on saying that i did see plenty of motorhomes travelling about. The one place that was mega busy was St Ives and you wouldn't want to try to take a van down there .We used the main A30 on the way down and back which was a decent dual carriage way most of the way and a good free stop with no obligation to buy (we did get a few local products) is a farm shop not far from Bodmin moor. Depending when you are travelling off season there are 3 haven sites en route Tenby in Wales, Burnham on sae in Somerset and the one we stayed on Perrran sands Newquay. On the way to Bristol most of the towns in the Brecon Beacons are motorhome friendly and allow overnight parking in their car parks.
https://strawberryfieldslifton.co.uk/
St Ives

St Ives

Perranporth sands

Newquay

Con910
Craic'er
Subject:

Míle Buíochas!! ( a thousand thanks)

· 
Posted: 24.01.2022  ·  #13
That's some amount of information for which I'm so grateful. :fgrin: I'll be winding that info in with my own research soon so looking forward to it and glad I asked! Con

Liked by: Ally

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2022  ·  #14
Con910
Craic'er
Subject:

In the ''Long Village''?

· 
Posted: 24.01.2022  ·  #15
Mon Dieu! GRM (go raibh míle) Some nice Cornish campsites on Youtube... :-/

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Cornwall?

· 
Posted: 25.01.2022  ·  #16
Cornwall is a lovely place,
Don't be put off, everyone needs punishment at some time in their life. 😊

Liked by: Ally, eirebus

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.01.2022  ·  #17
Hi folks, sorry re being a bit tardy in Answer but presently not enjoying the best of health.
Sorry but have not been down to any part of Cornwall like seems like forever. Cornwall is not really "Motorhome" friendly by that I mean if you are under 6.5mts not too bad but anything much above that you are best sticking to the "A" roads, the problem with this is that the best bits of Cornwall are not on "A" roads but down single lane roads often with or without passing places. Camp site prices are mostly at least expensive even the smaller CLs and CSs and you really do need another form of transport to get around Cornwall.
You do not say how long you are intending to stay if you are only looking for a couple of weeks then I suggest that you think about what StrandcampingDoonbeg has suggested and compare the cost of stopping in alternative accommodation either driving down (Car) (But not on a Friday or Saturday) or Fly and Hire this would give you the freedom to roam anywhere and see a lot more of what is a beautiful county.
As I said at the start it is many years since re traveled down and even then it was with a Caravan so that we had a car.

Con910
Craic'er
Subject:

Míle Buíochas!! ( a thousand thanks)

· 
Posted: 30.01.2022  ·  #18
Grateful for that, thinking about September...Thanks very much

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2022  ·  #19
Tintagel has a Carpark £10 for a MH overnight and I’ve just seen this:
Hi all, it's that time of year again when I open a new diary and offer up our carpark in exchange for custom. We are fitting EHU in one of the car parks at rear. 24 hour toilet access and water. Not bad for the price of a pint. We are a short drive form Porthtowan, Perranporth etc in Cornwall. Here's to a much better and needed, 2022! Scorrier TR165BN and drop us a FB message to book, Thanks!
Plume of feathers pub.

Con910
Craic'er
Subject:

Up the Banner!

· 
Posted: 04.02.2022  ·  #20
:up:

Con910
Craic'er
Subject:

Back in one piece!

· 
Posted: 12.09.2022  ·  #21
So...back safe and sound and only 1 scary episode on a country lane which was my own fault for being brazen. No damage to van but sweated bricks and it was close. We had sites lined up for the entire trip and only one was difficult to access requiring reversing etc for local traffic. I was glad to get out of it. Site charges are expensive but we sucked it up. Soon into the trip we established a pattern i.e. drive to a local town/village, scout around for parking on the outskirts and walk then. this walking allowed a few hours out of the van and a pint with lunch in lovely pubs. It was very busy overall but that's to be expected. I enjoyed the way drivers respect the speed limits with the result that you have no ******es up you're exhaust pipe expressing frustration at your existence on the then Queen's highway. If making close enough to speed limit at all all other drivers were courteous and kept a safe distance. The sites were of a very good standard, the cost of living there is high and diesel was £2.00 a litre for most of the trip, got it once at £1:81 though. The British people are gentle in their speech and verbal engagements, not like us shouty Paddies and that was interesting. One motorist even pulled up beside me on the right to tell me one of my brake bulbs was out. There's courtesy! The weather was amazing for week 1 and mixed for week 2 but we coped. The star of the show was the camper, our 2005 Renault Burstner 3 litre. Plenty poke when it was needed. We even took a detour to Surrey outside London from Weston Super Mare one afternoon and spent the night with a relative, purely on a whim. Great to have it ticked off the Bucket List and exploring the next trip soon. Interesting to be around at the tail end of our trip for the pomp and circumstance of their Royals. I have certain theories and opinions on all that which are not for this forum I'm thinking and are of little consequence to anyone except myself anyhow! So...thanks for the above considerations and we'll drive on!!! 8-)

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2022  ·  #22
Con910
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2022  ·  #23
I might as well go for it!! The way Queen Elizabeth was welcomed so heartily here in 2011 was a delight to most and confirmed, agree or otherwise, that folk enjoy royalty. She was welcomed then like an old friend. Our own royalty fled these shores after the battle of Kinsale in 1609 and my own theory is that the Celtic Royal vacuum was filled for 4 centuries, coveniently and opportunistically, by a religious entity which did a lot of damage. While in the UK I was struck by the fact that it was a woman who was top dog for seventy years while also being head of a nation's church. This is exactly what a mysogynist like Donald Trump and extremists returned to power in Afghanistan rail against. Not bad for a nation to be able to achieve this. I know there's a flip side to the coin, and the coin is old, but as long as we only talk about it things will be fine. Now, have I set myself up for excommunication!!

Liked by: ColinM, lapsed, sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Cornwall?

· 
Posted: 13.09.2022  ·  #24
Quote by Con910

I might as well go for it!! The way Queen Elizabeth was welcomed so heartily here in 2011 was a delight to most and confirmed, agree or otherwise, that folk enjoy royalty. She was welcomed then like an old friend. Our own royalty fled these shores after the battle of Kinsale in 1609 and my own theory is that the Celtic Royal vacuum was filled for 4 centuries, coveniently and opportunistically, by a religious entity which did a lot of damage. While in the UK I was struck by the fact that it was a woman who was top dog for seventy years while also being head of a nation's church. This is exactly what a mysogynist like Donald Trump and extremists returned to power in Afghanistan rail against. Not bad for a nation to be able to achieve this. I know there's a flip side to the coin, and the coin is old, but as long as we only talk about it things will be fine. Now, have I set myself up for excommunication!!

I wouldn't worry about it, you'll be in good company, but for that to happen ,the men in colorful long frocks and funny hats would have to hear and acknowledge that you exist and have said something,buy that's difficult when your head is firmly stuck in the sandbox.
I have always considered it peculiar, that men who are so set against women having equality all seem to dress in long frocks. :-/

Liked by: ColinM

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.