Smell from grey water tank

Dumbo VI
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.07.2020  ·  #1
A solution to the smell from the grey water tank is to.add acupful.of ordinary white vinegar after emptying. This usually works.
I have also used the little bleach tablets you can.buy in France ( javel.is the French word for bleach ) Definitely no bad smell on emptying with these !

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

Re: Smell from grey water tank

· 
Posted: 03.07.2020  ·  #2
My favourite, proven in use, is cheap supermarket Cola. Buy a few litres depending on tank size, I normally put about 4 litres into the empty tank before driving and it gets a good sloshing en route to the next stop.
Look what it does to old pennies! Better in the tank than your stomach!

Davy

workbox
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.03.2021  ·  #3
If you waste tank fitted outside I would recommend to install inexpensive waste water trap.
This way no smell will return back to camper van interior.
See link below for an idea
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/272820272836

Liked by: Davy, sprinter

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.03.2021  ·  #4
An interesting item, although I reckon the smell is a good reminder to give the tank a good clean. I am fortunate to have a tank which is accessible from inside the van via a 6 inch screw lid, so periodically I lie on the floor and get my arm into the tank (right up to the shoulder) and give it a good scrub with water and disinfectant. The hardest bit is getting up off the floor when finished!

I think if I was to fit those traps I would need a minimum of 2. One for each sink. There are also 2 shower outlets which cannot be accessed, but at least I can put the plugs into place until I get some cola.

Davy

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.03.2021  ·  #5
Those traps look like a great dirt catcher/pipe blocker.
Personally I use a cupful of soda crystals widely available from supermarkets mixed with a bucket of hot water and tip some down the various plugs into an empty waste tank and leave it.
Works well for a couple of months.

If you get the problem whilst driving put the plug stoppers in to prevent the stench from rising

Liked by: CHAUSSON, sprinter, +deleted user

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.03.2021  ·  #6
They only stop the smell coming into the Motorhome, they do nothing for cleaning the tank, leaving the plugs in place will give you the same result and wont cause blockages that I fear they might.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.03.2021  ·  #7
Mine has factory fitted traps on the kitchen sink, shower and washbasin waste pipes.
In 16 years I've had to clear out the sink one a few times but never the shower and washbasin.
The tank has never been cleaned and boy does it honk when emptying it when the weather is hot but the smell has never made its way into the mh interior.

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.03.2021  ·  #8
I put in a precisely measured glug of supermarket vinegar.

Works and as cheap as......chips.

Liked by: eirebus

workbox
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.03.2021  ·  #9
Quote by AliPhatCamper

I put in a precisely measured glug of supermarket vinegar.

Works and as cheap as......chips.

I tried vinegar, bleach, laundry soap and some specific waste tank liquids, they all work well but return certain smells back anyway specially bleach, until I installed smell trap. Now I have no smell return whatsoever. : )

Liked by: baguette, panda, The Rambler, TommyS, +deleted user

BigMal
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Hobby 750
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2021  ·  #10
Nothing better than coke to clean out your grey water. Empty the tank pour a total of 4 to 6 lts of coke down the various waste pipes then take her for a spin on some windy country roads. Cleans it out nicely and gets rid of those nasty smells

Liked by: panda

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2021  ·  #11
And throw in a couple of mentos if you really want to clean out those pipes 😆

Liked by: TommyS

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2021  ·  #12
Quote by The Rambler

And throw in a couple of mentos if you really want to clean out those pipes 😆

I just tried your suggestion. 🤥 Pipes are great but, er, do you have anything to clean Motorhome ceilings 😆

Liked by: big LIam, CHAUSSON, eirebus, The Rambler, TommyS, tony glenn, +deleted user

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2021  ·  #13
Had to fit a water trap to our bathroom sink stopped the smell coming back up ,I would put Milton fluid and fill up the tank leave for a week or so soon cleans it out but must try the coke

harringtonp
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Concorde Compact 98
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2022  ·  #14
Was just about to post a new thread asking what the likely smell from my new (to me) camper was when driving when came across this one.

I was trying to decide whether it was from outside (a lot of slurry is spread around here), a gas issue or the toilet sloshing around when moving. Couldn't figure it out as also had it just after emptying the toilet. And when stopped with the gas running there is no smell at all coming from it (have a carbon monoxide alarm too).

I guess it's safe to assume it is the waster water tank ? Will try the vinegar trick and probably the coke as well.

On waste has anyone ever had a clog from throwing used coffee powder down the sink ? Been doing it for years at home, never had issues (normally grease has been the source of blocks around the house) and can't imagine how it would cause problems but thought I'd check ?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2022  ·  #15
DO NOT put used coffee grounds in the sink you'll block the pipe work, which will have to be unblocked and possibly replaced

harringtonp
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2022  ·  #16
Quote by Dumbo VI

A solution to the smell from the grey water tank is to.add acupful.of ordinary white vinegar after emptying. This usually works.
I have also used the little bleach tablets you can.buy in France ( javel.is the French word for bleach ) Definitely no bad smell on emptying with these !

So you just throw a cupful of vinegar down the sink after emptying ? And do you run the tap for a bit so there is some water in there as well ? Or just a little bit of pure vinegar ?

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Paddy the Pilote Galaxy 78MX
Base Vehicle: Citroen 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2022  ·  #17
We stopped using a French press as it’s a pain to clean.
Now use a mocha pot or aeropress, much easier.

Keep the plugs in the drains to prevent the odours emanating 😁

Liked by: big LIam

harringtonp
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2022  ·  #18
Went into Aldi and the standard coke was 2.49 for 2L. But they had a thing called Cola which was 59c for 2L. Compared ingredients and both contained phosphoric acid which I suspect is the main cleaning agent. Other ingredients very similar too. The cola had citric acid which I didn't see in the coke.

Anyway bought 12L total and 2 bottles went down each of the 3 plug holes. Drove an hour after and will leave it in there for a couple of days before emptying.

Liked by: sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2022  ·  #19
Quote by harringtonp

Went into Aldi and the standard coke was 2.49 for 2L. But they had a thing called Cola which was 59c for 2L. Compared ingredients and both contained phosphoric acid which I suspect is the main cleaning agent. Other ingredients very similar too. The cola had citric acid which I didn't see in the coke.

Anyway bought 12L total and 2 bottles went down each of the 3 plug holes. Drove an hour after and will leave it in there for a couple of days before emptying.

Considering phosphoric acid is used in rust remover and brick cleaning, and citric is used in limescale remover.

A liter a day keeps the Doctor away 😁

big LIam
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: d55 Dreamer Veronica
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2022  ·  #20
lidll dish washing fluid

harringtonp
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2022  ·  #21
Quote by sprinter

Quote by harringtonp

Considering phosphoric acid is used in rust remover and brick cleaning, and citric is used in limescale remover.

A liter a day keeps the Doctor away 😁

And this stuff is sold to drink :-). Took swig or two while pouring and horrible, too sweet

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2022  ·  #22
Quote by harringtonp"]
[quote="sprinter"]
[quote="harringtonp

If you leave it any longer there will be no electrical connections left. 😂 Give it a good rinse with fresh water.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.