The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Halfords Leisure batteries

· 
Posted: 25.06.2022  ·  #1
Well my leisure battery has reached end of life. I wanted to add a second battery last season but the current one still had some life in it so I couldn't justify buying 2 new batteries at the time. Now I'm on the lookout for a pair of new ones. Adding an inverter for toaster/ kettle would be more viable if running a pair. I'm looking at the Halford HLB 700s . They look like good value. Has anyone tried these or know of any other good deals around right now?

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Halfords Leisure batteries

· 
Posted: 25.06.2022  ·  #2
If you're insured with Axa, there's a 20% discount batteries in Halfords with the Axa Plus card, the general Axa plus discount in Halfords is 10% so you will probably need to tell them that it's 20% on batteries

Liked by: lapsed, sprinter

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.06.2022  ·  #3
Take a look at Tayna batteries in N wales. They used to ship to Spain for a tenner but may not be the case now .
I got 2 105ah delivered about a year back for about £200

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.06.2022  ·  #4
I've had 2x HLB 700 s for the last 3 years with no problems and would buy again although I am thinking of lithium for the next change

Liked by: The Rambler

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.06.2022  ·  #5
Quote by <BM>

If you're insured with Axa, there's a 20% discount batteries in Halfords with the Axa Plus card, the general Axa plus discount in Halfords is 10% so you will probably need to tell them that it's 20% on batteries

That’s a great discount. Now I need to find someone with Axa insurance.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.06.2022  ·  #6
Quote by Albert the Talbot

Take a look at Tayna batteries in N wales. They used to ship to Spain for a tenner but may not be the case now .
I got 2 105ah delivered about a year back for about £200

Buying from the UK is just not viable anymore Albert. The last thing I got from the UK was that Lanoguard underbody treatment. I can’t remember what I paid now but it was awfully expensive in the end.

Catherine and stuart
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.06.2022  ·  #7
Hi I have 2 leasure batteries from Halford 1 hlb 700 which is about 3 years old and a hlb 800 which is 1 year old working all my 12 volt and a inverter working my 220 v fridge . I have solar keeping them charged never had any problems with them.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.06.2022  ·  #8
my last set of HLB700’s ran for 5 years, pretty heavy use but battery monitor in van and carefully watched so no deep discharge. Everything is 12volt in the van, all LED’s, 600 PSW inverter that is seldom used. Van also has 200 watt solar and MPPT controller.
The old ones were getting ‘lazy’ in the last 6 months and not doing so good.
I’ve replaced them this year with the same again, Halfords HLB700’s and think that 5 years is a pretty good innings taken the abuse they get.
A lot of issues with batteries is from abuse and deep discharging, if that is monitored then the life is greatly enhanced.
Lithium negates that to an extent, but proper charging profiles needed and the cost implications may influence your decision.

Paul mcg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.06.2022  ·  #9
I had two of the Halfords batteries and found them to be very good they are yuasa batteries rebranded. I had them for a year and since went to lithium . But would recommend the Halfords batteries no problem 👍

Paul mcg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.06.2022  ·  #10
Oh and I used the AXA card with 10% off they didn't even check the card just seen it in my hand it wasn't mine

Liked by: eirebus

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.06.2022  ·  #11
Quote by JJF

Lithium negates that to an extent, but proper charging profiles needed and the cost implications may influence your decision.

I'm told that a good BMS will ensure LiFePO4 batteries will be protected from the effects of charging profiles from the likes of solar, engine and mains charging commonly found in vehicles and boats

Liked by: JJF, sprinter

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.06.2022  ·  #12
I see the HLB 700s are rated at 200 cycles. I presume that is at 50% depth of discharge as I don’t see a spec sheet. It would be nice if battery monitors could calculate an effective cycle count over the battery lifetime. I’m not sure what algorithm would be best applied. You can be sure that (200 cycles @ 50%) != (400 cycles @ 25%).

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.06.2022  ·  #13
I've a pair of These
up to 900 cycles @ 50%

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.06.2022  ·  #14
Quote by baguette

I've a pair of These
up to 900 cycles @ 50%

Pricey?

Phil Bert
Craic'er
My Motorhome: A big white box
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.06.2022  ·  #15
A few things you might consider before investing ....On the face of it the Halfords batteries represent good value even better if you can get the Axa discount, as has been said if they are managed well will give years of use ..... but with the rise of lithium technology having a 50kg bucket of sulphuric acid sloshing about in the van is making less sense.

Yes the cost might still make it restrictive to some but if you factor in that lithium can be cycled up-to 6000 times compared to the 400 of the lead acid you are basically getting a battery for the life of your camper plus one 100/110ah would meet your needs ,

At the moment I am experimenting with a cheap LiFePO4 battery sent from Germany with no extra charges and delivered within days that I just dropped in and while its early days it has performed very well to date ,

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.06.2022  ·  #16
I hadn't really considered Lithium at this stage. It's not just the cost of the lithium batteries to consider but then there is the charging set up; solar controller /mains charger too. It would be nice to have a lithium setup but I don't mind sitting back for a while to see how there's get on with the switch and what problems. And hopefully the price will comes down too.

Liked by: Phil Bert

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.06.2022  ·  #17
Quote by The Rambler

I hadn't really considered Lithium at this stage. It's not just the cost of the lithium batteries to consider but then there is the charging set up; solar controller /mains charger too. It would be nice to have a lithium setup but I don't mind sitting back for a while to see how there's get on with the switch and what problems. And hopefully the price will comes down too.

Post #11 🤔

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.06.2022  ·  #18
Quote by baguette

Quote by The Rambler

Post #11 🤔

Hmmm. It's hard to know how wise it would be to use lead-acid chargers on lithium. https://glider-battery.eu/post4-1/

Liked by: eirebus

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.06.2022  ·  #19
Quote by The Rambler

Quote by baguette

Quote by The Rambler

Post #11 🤔

Hmmm. It's hard to know how wise it would be to use lead-acid chargers on lithium. https://glider-battery.eu/post4-1/

This article appears to show that a BMS protects the cells of a Lithium Ion battery from the effects of inappropriate charging regimes, it will only allow charge and discharge currents and voltages within the preset tolerances of the cells Click here

Liked by: Phil Bert

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.06.2022  ·  #20
Quote by baguette

Quote by The Rambler

Quote by baguette

Quote by The Rambler

Post #11 🤔

This article appears to show that a BMS protects the cells of a Lithium Ion battery from the effects of inappropriate charging regimes, it will only allow charge and discharge currents and voltages within the preset tolerances of the cells Click here

The BMS may well do a good job of protecting the battery pack from excessive currents and voltages. But I wonder how well it protects against undercharging. From the article I linked to :

Some lead acid chargers “ping” the battery on startup to determine the voltage/resistance of the battery. Based on return information, the charger then determines what charge phase to start in. Because lithium will hold voltage above 13+v, some lead acid chargers will see this as a near full battery and enter into a float stage and bypass the charge stage all together.

I would be interested to know what SOC the BMS reports when a standard lead-acid charger reports a full charge. That should be easy to do for any folk currently running lithium. And there is quite a stark warning in that piece too. - If you want to use a lead acid charger on a lithium battery you can, HOWEVER, you must NOT use a lead-acid charger if it has an automatic “equalisation mode”,

With such initial expense required to get a lithium setup going, it would be a shame to do harm because of bad charging. I would certainly want to know that I can charge to %100 and happily discharge to < %10 SOC without undue damage or reduction in lifespan.

Phil Bert
Craic'er
My Motorhome: A big white box
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.06.2022  ·  #21
[/quote]

[/quote]

Your over thinking this..... ! You can simply plug out the mains charger , if you are on hook up you could plug it back in for a few hours then plug it out again when charged , in the real world with the solar and alternator you wouldn't need to plug it back in on hook up as the battery would be well charged .

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Halfords Leisure batteries

· 
Posted: 27.06.2022  ·  #22
Quote by baguette

Quote by JJF

I'm told that a good BMS will ensure LiFePO4 batteries will be protected from the effects of charging profiles from the likes of solar, engine and mains charging commonly found in vehicles and boats

Colin, can you trough a bit more light on what you mean by a good BMS, and at what cost?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.06.2022  ·  #23
Quote by sprinter

Colin, can you trough a bit more light on what you mean by a good BMS, and at what cost?

I would think, like every other piece of electronic control equipped there are cheap poor quality and premium price top quality BMS units.

BTW a BMS is only needed as a separate purchase if building your own 12v battery from a supply of individual cells. A ready made battery would have the BMS built in to its outer case.

I've just come across This Article by Roadpro which gives a very comprehensive rundown on lithium batteries and their various charging regime requirements.

Liked by: sprinter

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.06.2022  ·  #24
Quote by baguette

Quote by sprinter

I would think, like every other piece of electronic control equipped there are cheap poor quality and premium price top quality BMS units.

BTW a BMS is only needed as a separate purchase if building your own 12v battery from a supply of individual cells. A ready made battery would have the BMS built in to its outer case.

I've just come across This Article by Roadpro which gives a very comprehensive rundown on lithium batteries and their various charging regime requirements.

Good article. It sells the benefits of lithium. I still don't think I would install one without changing my mains charger though. The article FAQ addresses the concern

Q) Is it OK to just replace my existing (lead-acid) leisure battery with a lithium battery?

A) We don't recommend doing this but, as long as the lithium battery is from a reputable supplier, it's usually safe to do so and you'll immediately benefit from some of the advantages of lithium batteries. On the other hand, the battery will probably never be charged to its maximum potential nor very efficiently. For example, although a lithium battery can be charged at more than 60 Amps, without modifying the vehicle's wiring the charge rate from the vehicle's alternator may be nowhere near that. Not only that, charging a lithium battery with a mains charger or solar regulator designed for lead-acid batteries may not fully charge the battery and could result in a shorter useful life. For these reasons, we strongly recommend installing a lithium battery with appropriate charging mechanisms and cable.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.06.2022  ·  #25
sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.06.2022  ·  #26
Quote by Paul mcg

I had two of the Halfords batteries and found them to be very good they are yuasa batteries rebranded. I had them for a year and since went to lithium . But would recommend the Halfords batteries no problem 👍

How do you know the Halford batteries are rebranded Yuasa ?

Paul mcg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.06.2022  ·  #27
I did a lot of research into different batteries a read something about them being rebranded. And when I changed them for lithium I brought them back to Halfords to get them checked and the guy told me that they were made by yuasa also the were in great condition 👍

Liked by: sprinter

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.06.2022  ·  #28
To buy a victron 30amp charger with Bluetooth is €200 and it can be tweeked to do what ever you want with it,
the Bluetooth solar controller uses the same app so very usable and reliable,

Liked by: panda, The Rambler

Paul mcg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.06.2022  ·  #29
I have a epever mppt solar controller 30A and with the MT 50 remote meter you can change the charge parameters to the recommended settings . there's a updated version of the one I have and It has a lithium setting. I think I paid 110 euros for it about 2 years ago on Amazon and the MT50 was I think about 35 euros a few weeks ago on Amazon

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.06.2022  ·  #30
Even better a set up similar to Paul mcg costing €135 all in,
its getting tempting now 🤓

Liked by: Paul mcg

lapsed
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.06.2022  ·  #31
Quote by The Rambler

Quote by baguette

Quote by sprinter

Good article. It sells the benefits of lithium. I still don't think I would install one without changing my mains charger though. The article FAQ addresses the concern

Q) Is it OK to just replace my existing (lead-acid) leisure battery with a lithium battery?

A) We don't recommend doing this but, as long as the lithium battery is from a reputable supplier, it's usually safe to do so and you'll immediately benefit from some of the advantages of lithium batteries. On the other hand, the battery will probably never be charged to its maximum potential nor very efficiently. For example, although a lithium battery can be charged at more than 60 Amps, without modifying the vehicle's wiring the charge rate from the vehicle's alternator may be nowhere near that. Not only that, charging a lithium battery with a mains charger or solar regulator designed for lead-acid batteries may not fully charge the battery and could result in a shorter useful life. For these reasons, we strongly recommend installing a lithium battery with appropriate charging mechanisms and cable.

Ok. So if I move to a lithium battery I should also change the charging system. Does that involve rewiring or just a charging unit ?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.06.2022  ·  #32
Quote by lapsed

Ok. So if I move to a lithium battery I should also change the charging system. Does that involve rewiring or just a charging unit ?

Well out knowing your charging system, who can say? If it has a lithium charging profile then you shouldn't need to, see post from Paul mcg. But it should only mean changing or re-programming the charging unit at most and not rewiring.

Welcome_28
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 28
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit MK6
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2022  ·  #33
rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.07.2022  ·  #34
I am over in France for 6 weeks and have a 2 year old AGM battery, Arriving at Canterbury day before tunnel crossing i visited Go outdoors and found these on offer (now an extra 10% off over the weekend and a depot in Belfast)
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/1…-15966141/

Don't know how good it will be but for the price i bought it as a back up.

Liked by: ntg

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.07.2022  ·  #35
Quote by rebbyvid

I am over in France for 6 weeks and have a 2 year old AGM battery, Arriving at Canterbury day before tunnel crossing i visited Go outdoors and found these on offer (now an extra 10% off over the weekend and a depot in Belfast)

That’s a great price 👍

Liked by: rebbyvid

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.07.2022  ·  #36
Quote by rebbyvid

Robert at that price it is a no brainer to buy that as a back up,very competitively priced.👍

Liked by: rebbyvid

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.07.2022  ·  #37
@The Rambler, I'll be crossing the Quincentennial bridge tomorrow afternoon if you need to borrow an AxaPlus card for a few minutes.

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.07.2022  ·  #38
Quote by <BM>

@The Rambler, I'll be crossing the Quincentennial bridge tomorrow afternoon if you need to borrow an AxaPlus card for a few minutes.

This could work. I just checked with Halfords website and they appear to be in stock and ready for collection. What time are you thinking about @<BM> ?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.07.2022  ·  #39
Cheers for sorting me out <BM>. It was a pleasure doing business.

A big shout out also to Sprinter, who was in the process of doing the same.

:-)

Liked by: <BM>, eirebus, ntg

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.07.2022  ·  #40
No problem Jason, thanks for the beers, completely unnecessary but appreciated none the less. We were passing that way anyway and you were in and out quicker than I could get a McDonalds for my kids.

Anyone who has their camper insured with Dolmen should make sure to get that Axa Plus Card, the 20% off batteries is a big benefit but there are a whole pile of other discounts too.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.