Damp found

Is this the end of the road for my new motorhome?

Bowsie 3
Subject:

Damp found

· 
Posted: 22.06.2022  ·  #1
Hello.

I just recently bought a motorhome from a private seller. It's a peugeot boxer wayfinder motorhome, year 2000.
When I viewed it, it looked great, It ticked all the boxes I was looking for! ...the right size & layout, everything working, It seemed clean and fresh, (at least, compared to some of the previous horrors I had seen).

The add said 'No Damp'! and it's also the first thing I asked before going to view it.

When I got it home, and climbed up into the sleeping area over the cab the next day, I found a damp spot under the mattress, on the left side, and a smaller one again on the right side. Part of the wall beside the larger spot is a little spongy also.

I feel a bit dumb! There had been no ladder to hand to climb up when viewing it, and the ceiling above the area that I could view, looked spotless.

I bought it from an older couple, ..they seemed honest. I don't know if they where even aware of the damp issue....although I have a feeling that some of the other more savvy viewer's would have pointed it out to them before I came along.

I am gutted, to be honest! I love it apart from this, and had great plains to decorate the Interior ..painting and reupholstering etc.

Now I don't know if to bother, Or if I should contact the seller and persist on trying to return it.

I have a sinking feeling that the repair needed will end up costing me more than the value of it, and I don't have loads of money to start ploughing into repairs...

Can anybody advise me.
Is this a huge issue... or can It be affordably repaired? And Is it something that needs to be repaired Immediately?

This is my first motorhome, Its all new to me. I have no idea of the scale of the issue.. I don't know If this is the end of the road for my new motorhome or if some damp is just to be expected in a motorhome of this age.. :-?

Please can anybody offer advise or even recommendations on who i could contact for a repair quote.
Im on the east cost (Greystones / Wicklow area)

:sick:

Liked by: sprinter

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

Damp

· 
Posted: 22.06.2022  ·  #2
Bad luck ,but don’t despair it my not be as bad as you think ,first thing I would do is get up on the outside and have a look to see if the water is getting in past the edge strips it my only need new sealer to fix it if there are stripes across the front which is held on by screws it might need took of and resealed ,if you could put up a few photos it would give us a better idea for a repair

Liked by: Bowsie 3

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: Damp found

· 
Posted: 22.06.2022  ·  #3
Why not report your findings to the seller, they just might do the honorable thing and reimburse the cost of fixing the issue, particularly as they assured you there was no damp.

I would get the whole vehicle checked for damp elsewhere too. The sooner any water ingress is found and rectified the smaller the bill.
If you do get any and all suspect areas fixed you can then enjoy your purchase without worrying. Look at any costs of getting it shipshape as a long term investment protection expenditure

Liked by: eirebus

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Damp found

· 
Posted: 22.06.2022  ·  #4
Quote by Bowsie 3

Hello.

I just recently bought a motorhome from a private seller. It's a peugeot boxer wayfinder motorhome, year 2000.
When I viewed it, it looked great, It ticked all the boxes I was looking for! ...the right size & layout, everything working, It seemed clean and fresh, (at least, compared to some of the previous horrors I had seen).

The add said 'No Damp'! and it's also the first thing I asked before going to view it.

When I got it home, and climbed up into the sleeping area over the cab the next day, I found a damp spot under the mattress, on the left side, and a smaller one again on the right side. Part of the wall beside the larger spot is a little spongy also.

I feel a bit dumb! There had been no ladder to hand to climb up when viewing it, and the ceiling above the area that I could view, looked spotless.

I bought it from an older couple, ..they seemed honest. I don't know if they where even aware of the damp issue....although I have a feeling that some of the other more savvy viewer's would have pointed it out to them before I came along.

I am gutted, to be honest! I love it apart from this, and had great plains to decorate the Interior ..painting and reupholstering etc.

Now I don't know if to bother, Or if I should contact the seller and persist on trying to return it.

I have a sinking feeling that the repair needed will end up costing me more than the value of it, and I don't have loads of money to start ploughing into repairs...

Can anybody advise me.
Is this a huge issue... or can It be affordably repaired? And Is it something that needs to be repaired Immediately?

This is my first motorhome, Its all new to me. I have no idea of the scale of the issue.. I don't know If this is the end of the road for my new motorhome or if some damp is just to be expected in a motorhome of this age.. :-?

Please can anybody offer advise or even recommendations on who i could contact for a repair quote.
Im on the east cost (Greystones / Wicklow area)

:sick:

Take it up to Noel Driver, he is on the road pass Avoca about 500 mtrs on the right. ( A98FF66 ) 087 257 6800 and ask him to have a look to see what the problem may be ,he does quite a bit of motorhome work.

Bowsie 3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.06.2022  ·  #5
Thanks for all your reply's. Im feeling a little calmer about it now, thankyou.

...I cant figure out how to to upload the photos to the forum so Ive added a link here 🥴
https://we.tl/t-8KcbBnBCoE. (sorry)

The photo of the outside of the van given, I actually grabbed from the original add, And I've only just noticed they had some type of tape in the area outside. (i've added zoomed in version also).
This tape wasn't there when I viewed it, or collected it... and I think i've found some small holes in the area under where the tape had been. ...Which is adjacent to the damp area inside the cab.

So Im guessing this is the source of the damp issue 🙄

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.06.2022  ·  #6

Just added that for you

Liked by: Bowsie 3

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Damp found

· 
Posted: 23.06.2022  ·  #7
Armed with that photo.it is definitely time you contacted the person you got the van from ASAP. asking why, when they new it had a problem, they went ahead and sold it as good no problems, do they not think, they were putting themselves in a fairly bad legal position, look for the immediate full return of your money. then if you really like the van, try getting an agreement for them to pay for the repair, keep in mind if they had repaired it in the first place the cost would probably have gone onto the selling price.

Bowsie 3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.06.2022  ·  #8
Quote by sprinter

Armed with that photo.it is definitely time you contacted the person you got the van from ASAP. asking why, when they new it had a problem, they went ahead and sold it as good no problems, do they not think, they were putting themselves in a fairly bad legal position, look for the immediate full return of your money. then if you really like the van, try getting an agreement for them to pay for the repair, keep in mind if they had repaired it in the first place the cost would probably have gone onto the selling price.

Thanks Sprinter, Yes I am planning to contact them (the dred of it!). ...Im just hoping to get an idea of the cost of damage repair first.
I really thought they were an honest pair that looked after their motorhome, now Im worried about what else has been just been neglected and covered up. :'(

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Damp found

· 
Posted: 23.06.2022  ·  #9
Did you Noel a call, where abouts are you around the town, I'm on the mill road.

Bowsie 3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.06.2022  ·  #10
Hi Sprinter.

I did try to call Noel. I've also texted and emailed him (through his site). No reply ad yet.

I've bought some polymer sealant in the meantime for those little holes, as I hear rain is on the way...

I'm actually located in Kilcoole. (I always say Greystones as not everybody knows Kilcoole :-)

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Paddy the Pilote Galaxy 78MX
Base Vehicle: Citroen 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.06.2022  ·  #11
I’m not an expert, but I reckon those small holes are the result of damp sitting against them and causing a chemical reaction, rather than being the source of water ingress.
Looking at the stain marks I’d suspect the over cab window or roof vent, possibly the rails though.
If it does rain (and you can’t park under cover) use the opportunity to try to find any water runs inside. It can be hard to see on walls, try flinging talc powder on beforehand which may help show any runs.

Best of luck 🤞

Liked by: petereire

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.