The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

France in August

· 
Posted: 04.05.2022  ·  #1
We have had to cancel our May trip due to unforeseen family stuff. It is rescheduled now for August. Are we mad to do so, being in high season? We got dates in August with Stena that actually had a cabin both ways. I couldn't bring myself to push it out any further as we have waited long enough as it is with 2 years of cancelling due to the pandemic

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

Re: France in August

· 
Posted: 04.05.2022  ·  #2
As teachers with children, we have been in france in july/Aug for 20 years. Of course its busier, but its a big country. Stay away from Eastern med coast and you will still find plenty of room. Depends in your preferences, but alps for example will still give tranquility. It beats being is our wet excuse for summer any year!!

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2022  ·  #3
We typically go just before the August bank holiday and don't typically prebook anything before travelling if that's your concern.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2022  ·  #4
We had to cancel our May trip also and rebooked for September/October as the cost,crowds and heat in August put us off , weather etc is still good then but the campsites are a bit battered and alot close end of September but we'll use Aires then , the wait is a pain but can't be helped

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2022  ·  #5
Quote by <BM>

We typically go just before the August bank holiday and don't typically prebook anything before travelling if that's your concern.

That was my concern alright so good to know. We will probably stay on the west coast mostly.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2022  ·  #6
Quote by eirebus

We had to cancel our May trip also and rebooked for September/October as the cost,crowds and heat in August put us off , weather etc is still good then but the campsites are a bit battered and alot close end of September but we'll use Aires then , the wait is a pain but can't be helped

We had resigned waiting until then but I saw a cabin was available both ways. Then we couldn’t wait no more

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2022  ·  #7
Since the kids stopped coming we go June or September to avoid the crowds. Up to then we always went July/August. There are times I wish we could go back 35 years when things were unspoilt.

Liked by: Phil Bert, sprinter

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2022  ·  #8
We have cancelled our July trip to France....Just not arsed.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2022  ·  #9
Same here John,we were thinking about it for July but there are too many variables circulating so feel that we would be happier staying closer to home for a while yet.
For others they may travel and have a good time, so each to their own.

Liked by: sprinter

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2022  ·  #10
Absolutely Norman....Our main reason was we felt it would be too hot for the dogs in the van at night....No problem during the day with lakes and sea to frollic in but the stifling heat at night would be the deal breaker. We love going abroad in the van but Mirela could only get mid july into August this year for her hols....Much prefer September into October. Each to their own as you say....Quite happy to spend the 3 weeks rambling around Ireland this year.

Liked by: ntg, sprinter

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2022  ·  #11
Quote by panda

Absolutely Norman....Our main reason was we felt it would be too hot for the dogs in the van at night....No problem during the day with lakes and sea to frollic in but the stifling heat at night would be the deal breaker. We love going abroad in the van but Mirela could only get mid july into August this year for her hols....Much prefer September into October. Each to their own as you say....Quite happy to spend the 3 weeks rambling around Ireland this year.

And you'll have the price of the ferry in your pocket to start you off

Liked by: ntg, panda, sprinter

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2022  ·  #12
We always, 12 years, did France end August into September and alway had a great time with few hassles. If you plan on using sites, I'd recommend booking ahead to make sure you get a good pitch, but, usually, it's not a problem.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2022  ·  #13
So we count down the nights now before our return sailing. We’ve had 12 nights so far, all in campsites in Normandy, Brittany and I’ll de Re. It was worth booking ahead to secure these sites. Tomorrow we travel from La Rochelle to make our way back to Cherbourg for the Wednesday sailing.

Anyone have suggestions for stopovers for the next couple of nights heading for Cherbourg. Preferably aires in a nice setting and not a Lidl car park. Granville to me being a good example but we wouldn’t mind something new.

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2022  ·  #14
we went up from ile de re on way home from the med a few weeks back. We stayed in st vivier sur mer and Utah Beech. Bothe are 'Camping Car Park' aires. Both were spot on. Electricity, water, drainage and bins all available. https://www.campingcarpark.com…er-sur-mer

Liked by: The Rambler

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2022  ·  #15
Quote by Hymer544

we went up from ile de re on way home from the med a few weeks back. We stayed in st vivier sur mer and Utah Beech. Bothe are 'Camping Car Park' aires. Both were spot on. Electricity, water, drainage and bins all available. https://www.campingcarpark.com…er-sur-mer

That looks like a good location alright. We looked for campsites in St Malo area before coming over and everything seemed to be booked out. I think we’ll head that way for night one. Cheers Hymer!

Liked by: Hymer544

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2022  ·  #16
The Aire at Mont San Michel is nice but is probably full at this time of year,also Aire at Nozay between Rennes and Nantes

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2022  ·  #17
Quote by The Rambler

Quote by Hymer544

That looks like a good location alright. We looked for campsites in St Malo area before coming over and everything seemed to be booked out. I think we’ll head that way for night one. Cheers Hymer!

your welcome rambler. 'Aire de Camping Les Ilots' next door to St Malo, might be worth a look too as its right opposite a beech and in a village. We could'nt get in when we tried, but that was 10 Aug, it would be less busy now i'd imagine. It was absolutely rammed and looked like a bit of a carve up, but would be better when quieter like now.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2022  ·  #18
Why not send the last night at the free Aire in Cherburg. Its a lovely city to spend a day Cafe Yalta (one of huge selection of restaurants) a short stroll across the harbour from the Aire has a decent menu at a reasonable price. You can empty your tanks and buy your beer/wine last thing before boarding.

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2022  ·  #19
Quote by baguette

Why not send the last night at the free Aire in Cherburg. Its a lovely city to spend a day Cafe Yalta (one of huge selection of restaurants) a short stroll across the harbour from the Aire has a decent menu at a reasonable price. You can empty your tanks and buy your beer/wine last thing before boarding.

You must be reading my mind baguette. We spent an hour or two there last time we caught the ferry and thought about spending a night there. A nice city for sure.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2022  ·  #20
Quote by eirebus

The Aire at Mont San Michel is nice but is probably full at this time of year,also Aire at Nozay between Rennes and Nantes

I just checked that out on street view and it looks lovely. We could possibly get the kayak out there and later eat a Galette in town. How bad eh?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2022  ·  #21
Quote by The Rambler

Quote by eirebus

I just checked that out on street view and it looks lovely. We could possibly get the kayak out there and later eat a Galette in town. How bad eh?

I think there's cable water skiing there now if you fancy trying that , as Colin said Cherbourg is good too, museum beside the Aire and a tour of the nuclear submarine

Sojim
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Eura Mobil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2022  ·  #22
Heading to Cherbourg early Sept returning to Dublin towards end of month. Hope to visit Normandy beaches & Ile de Re, La Rochelle & one or two other places in that general area (suggestions??). First time taking camper to France. Should we book campsites in advance? Do we need to book Aires or is it pay as you go or free??.
Thanks in advance.

Liked by: sprinter

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2022  ·  #23
The Aire was a bit rough and ready when we were there a few years back but I really liked Fougeres. It's got a massive medieval castle pretty much beside the Aire and the town itself is really pretty. The one weird thing is that the town is built on a hill above the castle rather than the other way around but there's a church up high with a park with terraced gardens cascading down the hill towards the castle, really impressive.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2022  ·  #24
We took a detour to Fougeres on the way down as it happens. We parked beside the aire. It’s a possibility for heading back alright. We’re still undecided. It probably depends on how many miles we feel like putting in .

Liked by: rebbyvid

Europa
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2022  ·  #25
Gendarmerie Espace Jules Verne, is one of the best Aires in France. Beside the town of Saint- Brice-en- Coglès. Between Rennes and Avranches. See Campercontact, its free.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2022  ·  #26
Quote by Europa

Gendarmerie Espace Jules Verne, is one of the best Aires in France. Beside the town of Saint- Brice-en- Coglès. Between Rennes and Avranches. See Campercontact, its free.

Plus one to that. We've stayed there a few times.
I would avoid Averanches, its Aire is on quite a slope and it can be difficult to get level but ok if just visiting the town during the day.

Liked by: eirebus, The Rambler

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

France in August

· 
Posted: 22.08.2022  ·  #27
If you have any interest in old cars, Le-Mans would be well worth a visit. There is an Aire close to the race track 30min, and parking at the racetrack.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2022  ·  #28
We stop here in our last night:
https://goo.gl/maps/nZxc2bNvpSSAcUb3A
Superb restaurant there called A L'Abri Des Flots
Or if weather is nice a couple of days on the west coast of the peninsula is good, another nice stop is at:
https://goo.gl/maps/V2V4gBhQJerrVDyZA and again this very rustic restaurant has superb food and views to die for.

So many options there, just wing it as you’ll never be stuck.
Enjoy the trip.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2022  ·  #29
We decided to take a good skelp off our journey so we just landed at the aire in Le Vivier-sur-mer, cheers Hymer. Regarding the final night in Cherbourg, I’m not so sure. The boat sails 9pm Wednesday. That might mean too much time hanging around, we’ll see. Otherwise something like JJF’s second suggestion might be the best.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

Liked by: Hymer544, sprinter

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2022  ·  #30
Quote by Sojim

Heading to Cherbourg early Sept returning to Dublin towards end of month. Hope to visit Normandy beaches & Ile de Re, La Rochelle & one or two other places in that general area (suggestions??). First time taking camper to France. Should we book campsites in advance? Do we need to book Aires or is it pay as you go or free??.
Thanks in advance.

Ile de Re can be extremely busy even in September. We prefer to go down to Chatelaillon Plage and stay at Camping Au Port Punay. There is a train into La Rochelle. We have booked it’s final week this year but never did before. Just have a feeling most places will be full. Aires are first come and pay as you go. We use the All the Aires guide from the Vicarious shop.

Liked by: Sojim, voyager

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2022  ·  #31
Quote by Mark&Wendy

Quote by Sojim

Thanks in advance.

Ile de Re can be extremely busy even in September. We prefer to go down to Chatelaillon Plage and stay at Camping Au Port Punay. There is a train into La Rochelle. We have booked it’s final week this year but never did before. Just have a feeling most places will be full. Aires are first come and pay as you go. We use the All the Aires guide from the Vicarious shop.

Hi, just in case you didn't know about it, aires that are park of the 'Camping Car Park' network can be booked in advance. We used it this year peak season in july/aug, and even in prime locations we were able to have the peace of mind of getting in....the full membership at 29euro is needed for the booking option. The cost of the Aires is around 12-15 and include all services

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.08.2022  ·  #32
For anyone not familiar with Camping-car Parks Click Here

BTW the French do not like them as that are replacing places which were free or at a lower price.
Compared to the various 'fields' and pub carparks which cost €15 or more here they are great value for what you get.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.08.2022  ·  #33
Quote by baguette

BTW the French do not like them as that are replacing places which were free or at a lower price.
Compared to the various 'fields' and pub carparks which cost €15 or more here they are great value for what you get.

We used them last night for the first time at Le Vivier. The cost of the aire was about €12, when added to the cost of the card which was dispensed to me from the machine at the gate kiosk, about €18 in total. But now we have the card and and use it again.

We made it into the municipal aire at Agon-Coutainville this afternoon. Good timing too as more started to arrive and were struggling to find places. I think it only costs about €7 for the night so I can see why the French wouldn’t want to see Camping Carpark take over. We’d be glad back home if they did.

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.08.2022  ·  #34
Quote by The Rambler

Quote by baguette

We used them last night for the first time at Le Vivier. The cost of the aire was about €12, when added to the cost of the card which was dispensed to me from the machine at the gate kiosk, about €18 in total. But now we have the card and and use it again.

We made it into the municipal aire at Agon-Coutainville this afternoon. Good timing too as more started to arrive and were struggling to find places. I think it only costs about €7 for the night so I can see why the French wouldn’t want to see Camping Carpark take over. We’d be glad back home if they did.

Good going rambler, sounds good. For CCP aires, getting the ehu and water/waste for the fee and ability to pre book is worth it for me. The flexibility to be able to book meant that we were able to enjoy time at places between Aires without that anxiety of having to rush through to the aire to get there before it filled up. From my experience this summer, the vast majority of vans in ccp aires were French (obvious I know since we were in france!) so I can't say they don't seem to like the scheme. If they would quibble for the difference of a fiver, then many of them must be right tight derrieres!! A few we stayed in that have become ccp owned that we stayed in before gave improved considerably too. have a Good sailing homework.

Sojim
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.08.2022  ·  #35
Thanks to all for replies. I'm looking back through lots of previous posts and learning so much.
Thanks again.

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.08.2022  ·  #36
Another network thats similar to Campingcarparks is Aireparks, used a couple of theirs this year one new one and very impressive is in Arras ,10 mins to centre ,hard standing well spaced out pitches pay by card only and €8.50 plus taxes inc electric and wifi , one toilet and shower free on site and services €2 .
https://www.aireparkreservation.com/

Liked by: johnnymac

Jimster
My Motorhome: chausson
Base Vehicle: ford
Subject:

France passion

· 
Posted: 27.08.2022  ·  #37
Hi all, we did France as newbies in '18. We just went for it.
The only thing we signed up for was France Passion, free overnight with farms and vineyards. We spent more than half our 7 weeks using them. Costs about 25€, and just pick your next stop from the map and book.
1st night, organic cider farm 1 hour from Cherbourg, had stops at goat and duck farms and too many vineyards to mention. Taste the wine but no obligation to buy. Was just it suited us.

Liked by: Sojim, sprinter

Sojim
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2022  ·  #38
Sounds like we will have to give "France Passion" a try

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2022  ·  #39
France Passion is definitely worth a go...we still have children with us and they love it. Playing with the owners dogs, eating/drinking, in often idyllic locations and what harm is there is buying a few bottles/jars/boxes of superb produce....lol... We have had some of our most memorable nights in such locations...only caveat being that they are definitely off the beaten track....but that the charn surely!

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

France in August

· 
Posted: 28.08.2022  ·  #40
Quote by Hymer544

France Passion is definitely worth a go...we still have children with us and they love it. Playing with the owners dogs, eating/drinking, in often idyllic locations and what harm is there is buying a few bottles/jars/boxes of superb produce....lol... We have had some of our most memorable nights in such locations...only caveat being that they are definitely off the beaten track....but that the charn surely!

We often look for the ones that do dinner's, we've had some great meals.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.