Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Confused about a section of our route.

· 
Posted: 09.04.2022  ·  #1
OK team...maps at the ready?
Our route from Cherbourg to Interlaken seems fairly straightforward to a point. Past Paris, all the way down the A6 to Beaune, A36 to Brazey-en-Plaine, then down the A39 to junction 7...then Google says turn left for Poligny and Champagnole. That's when it gets a bit confusing. At Champagnole it's suggesting a worryingly small road through Nozeroy and Malbuisson to cross into Switzerland after Metabief. Any thoughts on an alternative route?
Or even a major re-plan from Cherbourg if preferable?

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Re: Confused about a section of our route.

· 
Posted: 09.04.2022  ·  #2
Just looking at the other option, the A5, A54 then E27 down to Bern.... actually looks preferable?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Confused about a section of our route.

· 
Posted: 09.04.2022  ·  #3
I cant see where that is coming from when I look, the route transfers to the D21, about 5k pass Montrond. ( 46.779556 5.899824 ) D21,D471,D107,D47,D9,eventually onto the 1( E25)

You could also transfer onto the D5( E54 - E17 ) outside Paris change here ( 47.920407- 5.219254 ) on to A31 to N19 ( E54), N1019 ( E27 ) on to the Swiss 16 ( E27 ) at Boncourt, 16 to 6 to Bern

Liked by: tony glenn

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.04.2022  ·  #4
Thanks Sprinter, that second paragraph option is the better choice for us, decision made, route felt-tipped on the map so no changes possible!
We might take the original route plan on the way back, we have a leisurely week either side of the Swiss stay. 👍

Liked by: sprinter

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.04.2022  ·  #5
When long distance route planning I often use the ViaMichelin route planner.
Selecting vehicle type 'luxury' and ticking the 'caravan' box gives fairly accurate journey time, fuel and toll costs for a motorhome.
It normally give three route options also.

Liked by: sprinter, tony glenn

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.04.2022  ·  #6
Having never been, on the continent, in a motorhome am I wrong in thinking you all pay far to much attention to fine detail?

Surly the beauty of all of this is making the mistakes?

I'd be more inclined to 'wing it'.

Gar99
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Roller team 295P
Base Vehicle: Renault Master dci150
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2022  ·  #7
Quote by Ally

Having never been, on the continent, in a motorhome am I wrong in thinking you all pay far to much attention to fine detail?

I agree totally Ally, having spent many ( too many) years driving lorry's around the continent, a saying amongst us drivers was " if you don't make the odd wrong turn you'll see nothing" , forget about the detail, have a start point, and an end point, and enjoy all the journey, who cares if you make the odd wrong turn.

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2022  ·  #8
A timely reminder to balance planning with fun..... I'll keep Ally's comment to show my wife when we're stuck on a hairpin bend halfway up the Eiger! 😂

Liked by: Ally, sprinter, TommyS

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2022  ·  #9
ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2022  ·  #10
Quote by Ally

Have never done it any other way,for example one holliday we went to france (Motorhome) the weather was not to good so after a couple of days i had enough and so two days later i was in Salou lovely sunny weather.
The only planning i would do is sit down the night before i head off and take a look at the most appropiate route.
It has got me around France , Austria ,Germany ,Italy ,Spain ,Switzerland to name a few so i must be doing something right.

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, JJF, TommyS

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2022  ·  #11
Quote by JJF

I’m a fan for the “Ally” approach too.
Love planning…. Ferry about to dock, start planning…. Left or right?

When I say "wing it" that's with the help of Sygic Camper/truck satnav 😁

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2022  ·  #12
Quote by tony glenn

stuck on a hairpin bend halfway up the Eiger! 😂

Imagine the story you would have for the lads on a Friday night in the local.....😁😁

Liked by: Ally

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2022  ·  #13
Quote by tony glenn

A timely reminder to balance planning with fun..... I'll keep Ally's comment to show my wife when we're stuck on a hairpin bend halfway up the Eiger! 😂

I also would be inclined to agree with you, we have never really ended up where we considered before we left home.

BUT, if you have to be somewhere, exact planning helps, believe me. One of our trips we were to meet friends for the weekend Wine tasting festival in Tours, no problem 4.to 5 hrs or so, we were going to park at Rue St George,and our friends who had their car would collect us, so after that time, when we started to take notice ,that the sun was coming in the wrong window,and we really should be close, based on my normal 80kph estimate. Having plumbed the Sat nav, to the wrong St George without really checking the route. Do you know how many St Georges there are in France, 95. and Saint-Georges-les-Landes is not in Tours. O-) :lol:

Liked by: Ally, JJF, TommyS

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2022  ·  #14
Quote by tony glenn

OK team...maps at the ready?
Our route from Cherbourg to Interlaken seems fairly straightforward to a point. Past Paris, all the way down the A6 to Beaune, A36 to Brazey-en-Plaine, then down the A39 to junction 7...then Google says turn left for Poligny and Champagnole. That's when it gets a bit confusing. At Champagnole it's suggesting a worryingly small road through Nozeroy and Malbuisson to cross into Switzerland after Metabief. Any thoughts on an alternative route?
Or even a major re-plan from Cherbourg if preferable?

hi tony, that road is fine. Ive driven it in my last van in winter on a ski trip (8m 6 berth) and cycled it in summer. It is'nt that narrow. It had no switchbacks and doe'snt go over 850m or so. It crosses into CH at Creux on an N road. Lorries use this road. AT Creux you are then right onto a dual carriageway which opens up to wherever you might need to go. It is a short drive lac de neuchatel. Its not going to be gridlocked and of course the scenery is beaut!

Liked by: tony glenn

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2022  ·  #15
Quote by Ally

yes 'wing it' most of europe for sure, but CH does'nt have 'aires' so overnight choices need to be planned in advance. The only times Ive ever been moved on in europe has been in CH. Been a few times, it put me off first trip from going back. Next time we pre-planned and it was much more relaxing. With kids getting moved on is no fun!

Liked by: Ally, tony glenn

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2022  ·  #16
It seems we have the planners camp and the non-planners camp.
Looking back on life, I can understand the merits of both
Years ago, I planned to leave my wife, win the lotto and marry Beyonce.
None of this happened, but an unplanned twist of fate did (it involved buying a motorhome and spending too long on the MH Craic website). 🙄

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, JJF, ntg, sprinter

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2022  ·  #17
Quote by tony glenn

It seems we have the planners camp and the non-planners camp.
Looking back on life, I can understand the merits of both
Years ago, I planned to leave my wife, win the lotto and marry Beyonce.
None of this happened, but an unplanned twist of fate did (it involved buying a motorhome and spending too long on the MH Craic website). 🙄

Tony it is as the old saying goes,if you cannot beat them then join them.👍😅

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2022  ·  #18
Quote by tony glenn

I’m sorry, there is not yet a known cure…. Suffer like a man.

Pirahna
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2022  ·  #19
Quote by Ally

Here's an example of winging it and Google Maps.

My van has Android Auto, so I can use whatever navigation app I fancy, at the time it was Google Maps. We'd stopped at a place called Camping Las Lomas, it's up a mountain above Granada. I forget the next destination, but Google says turn right out of the campsite so that's what I did.

Now, I was already a bit wary of Google Maps, it has some very bad traits. You'll be on a motorway and Google will direct you off, through a village, then back onto the motorway because it saved a few hundred yards. Had you stayed on the motorway you'd be many miles ahead of your current position.

I've turned right out the campsite and drive into the village. I drove past a bus. It didn't feel quite right but the bus must have come from somewhere, so I cruise on by. The road narrows but widens into a village square, then narrows again, which is where the woman on a pavement runs out frantically waving and I realised I'd taken a 7.4 meter van somewhere I probably shouldn't have. I'm now in a narrow one way street with very few options. Wifey jumps out to direct traffic and bit by bit I reverse down to point where I reckon I can turn around. A thirty point turn later and I'm pointing the wrong way down a one way street with safety a couple of hundred yards away around a bend. Wifey goes down the road, phones and says I'm good to go. I crawl around the bend to wifey having a stand up screaming argument with a Spanish bloke who didn't fancy stopping. She hops in the van, we go past the bus (no idea how it got there) and set off down the mountain on the big road.

If you must use Android Auto, download the TomTom Go app and pay the annual subscription. It's a lot better than Google Maps (and Waze).

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.