joberg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 696f
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3
Subject:

France via the landbridge

· 
Posted: 22.03.2022  ·  #1
Was looking at going to France for the first time this year in July. The cost direct sailings with Stena or Irish ferries to France run from the ridiculous to absolute crazy - July is the only time the other half can get time off work. Had a look at going through the UK and eurotunnel and the cost is much more realistic, about half the cost of Stena and less than a third of irish ferries - don't know how they can justify their prices. There's a bit more driving but that wouldn't bother me and still making a saving allowing for the 3xtra cost of diesel
Just wondering has anyone used this route and is there any gotchas traversing the UK now that they've left the eu

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2022  ·  #2
What prices are you actually talking about , I looked at it recently and there wasn't much difference + the time taken to drive across the UK. And ending in the wrong place in France for me that is.

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

Re: France via the landbridge

· 
Posted: 22.03.2022  ·  #3
We did it many times in the past, we had family to visit on the way in England, and I'm so glad I don't have to do it anymore. Whichever route you choose, the drive through England is usually awful, and then you've a lot more driving to do in France to get further south. So, IMHO, the cost of fuel and the hassle factor makes going directly from Dublin, Rosslare or Cork is so much easier....

Liked by: eirebus

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2022  ·  #4
Unless you overnight in the UK, you will have 16 hours continues travel until you land in France. Without any real rest.
We used the land bridge to Zurich, but we took a late evening boat to Pembroke and stayed on a farm campsite just out of town, next morning travelled nonstop Dover, Calis to Zurich but there was two of us. I'll never do it again.

Liked by: eirebus, ntg

joberg
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2022  ·  #5
Irish ferries was €2300 going out on the 5th July and coming back on 26th, Stena working out around €1600, they've really hiked the prices. Ferry to UK €500 and euro tunnel €350. Its for 3 weeks so I was thinking of breaking the journey for a day in the UK both ways

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2022  ·  #6
If you're insured with Dolmen/AXA, you can get the AXA Plus card which has a 10% discount for Stena, still expensive though.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #7
Don't forget 15% off on Irish Sea routes with Stena for MHCC members.

Liked by: eirebus, Sojim

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #8
Quote by joberg

Irish ferries was €2300 going out on the 5th July and coming back on 26th, Stena working out around €1600, they've really hiked the prices. Ferry to UK €500 and euro tunnel €350. Its for 3 weeks so I was thinking of breaking the journey for a day in the UK both ways

Check your prices again because I got €785 ferry and £359 BP. (€430) then 500km fuel and 2 days/nights UK.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #9
Quote by sprinter

Quote by joberg

Check your prices again because I got €785 ferry and £359 BP. (€430) then 500km fuel and 2 days/nights UK.

I've just booked irish Ferries Cherburg - Dublin for €423 sailing 16th June. IIRC the mid July price was about €580 or something like that. Those prices include a four berth cabin and the flex booking.
Your €2300 seem very wrong, check again.
As for driving landbridge, after my last experience of UK traffic in 2020 I wouldn't even consider it unless it was to include visiting family and relatives.

Liked by: eirebus, PaulH, sprinter

mtravel
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Carthago Malibu 600DB
Base Vehicle: FIat Ducato 2.3 140CV
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #10
When I came to Ireland (from Italy, then via Calais-Dover) I used the port of Holyhead.
On the way, stops for short visits to Warwick (overnight at Harbury Fields Farm camping) and Shrewsbury (city of Brother Cadfael's novels).
From Dover two days were enough, at noon on the third we were in Dublin.
On the way back, disembarked in Holyhead at noon, we stopped at Hurley Riverside park in Hurley and the next day we visited Windsor Castle.
In the evening we were in Dover.

We didn't cross from Pembroke or Fishguard because we wanted to start and finish the tour in Dublin and because the distance from Dover is about the same.

If I come next summer I will do the same, obviously changing the intermediate stops in Great Britain.

Liked by: petereire

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #11
hi joberg. We only ever go via UK now. Have been doing it for over 15 years. We leave Derry and go to Stranraer on an evening boat. Then we have a kip in Scotch corner before heading down M1 to chunnel. We shop during the year in Tesco so always get the chunnel rtn crossing (close to ) free with their tesco voucher scheme. So it is a no brainer. The Stranraer crossing for us is around £450. So for a few tanks of diesel, its still a no brainer. I strongly recommend doing the UK outward leg as an overnight drive to avoid motrway congestion, especially Dartford/M25 on way to Folkestone. Also we always head to Alps before heading to the sun so we go down eastern farnce/Lux anyway, so the trek from Cherbourg to Eastern France is not needed. Family prices of IF/Stenna to France are not affordable for us as we have to travel in peak season as we still take the kids and we are both teachers.

Liked by: sprinter

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #12
Quote by baguette

Quote by sprinter

Quote by joberg

I've just booked irish Ferries Cherburg - Dublin for €423 sailing 16th June. IIRC the mid July price was about €580 or something like that. Those prices include a four berth cabin and the flex booking.
Your €2300 seem very wrong, check again.
As for driving landbridge, after my last experience of UK traffic in 2020 I wouldn't even consider it unless it was to include visiting family and relatives.

hi baguette, mid July Dub Cherbourg is most definitely NOT 580euro...look again and you will see trn including cabin for july for 4 will be closer to 2600euro!!!

joberg
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #13
Quote by Hymer544

hi joberg. We only ever go via UK now. Have been doing it for over 15 years. We leave Derry and go to Stranraer on an evening boat. Then we have a kip in Scotch corner before heading down M1 to chunnel. We shop during the year in Tesco so always get the chunnel rtn crossing (close to ) free with their tesco voucher scheme. So it is a no brainer. The Stranraer crossing for us is around £450. So for a few tanks of diesel, its still a no brainer. I strongly recommend doing the UK outward leg as an overnight drive to avoid motrway congestion, especially Dartford/M25 on way to Folkestone. Also we always head to Alps before heading to the sun so we go down eastern farnce/Lux anyway, so the trek from Cherbourg to Eastern France is not needed. Family prices of IF/Stenna to France are not affordable for us as we have to travel in peak season as we still take the kids and we are both teachers.

Thanks for the info, especially about the traffic that's great. We are caught for july as well. Can't go before the 5th and have to be back by the 27th. I checked the IF prices direct for thev2 of us and its just €2500, its extortionate

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #14
Quote by Hymer544

hi baguette, mid July Dub Cherbourg is most definitely NOT 580euro...look again and you will see trn including cabin for july for 4 will be closer to 2600euro!!!

Sorry, should have said one way, and yes, I see if I left it to mid July to come back it would be costing me €1k plus cabin 😯

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2022  ·  #15
After a bad direct crossing from Rosslare I always did the landbridge until last year, the main reason was the dogs and what was or wasnt required for the pet passports and did a direct sailing again. I need to start thinking about this summer but what you are saying about prices is mad

Forgot to add that we used stena for the landbridge and booked it as such with them and it was a lot cheaper than booking each part separately

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2022  ·  #16
I remember doing landbridge in the '80's leaving Cork for Rosslare after tea on a Friday and arriving at the Med on Sunday morning. Tolls and petrol were cheap, two driving, kids asleep in the back on Saturday night and the frame tent on roof.
The crazy days of our youth.
In those days a landbridge ticket was 'cheap' and the return fare was double the fare of the departure date irrespective of when we were returning.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2022  ·  #17
Ferry prices and prices in France are getting out of hand as they did in the late 80s ,we stopped going to France then and went on package and self build holidays for over 20 years after that , maybe on the cards again after this year

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2022  ·  #18
when I started to go in the 90's, the driver got a dinner ticket, and a much coffee, as you could drink with your breakfast, (served out of a glass pot), you could bring your own food and wine to have on board,they even advertised it on the brochure.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2022  ·  #19
Can only find Stena landbridge fares for 2021 on their website.

Any one got a link to this years fares?

Thanks

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2022  ·  #20
Quote by kabundi

Can only find Stena landbridge fares for 2021 on their website.

Any one got a link to this years fares?

Thanks

yes, ther are only there to Jan 2022. I have never found the 'landbridge' cheaper than booking the legs directly. Actually for us stena to cairnryan and chunnel worked out about £180 cheaper the last trip in 2020

Liked by: kabundi

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.