tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Switzerland anybody?

· 
Posted: 22.03.2022  ·  #1
On our last pre-Covid trip to France, we decided to drive to Belgium. It served as a 'challenge'.... stopping off plenty of times on the way there and back. And an interesting Country to visit
This year, we were thinking of double the distance.... Switzerland Three weeks holiday, so why not?
Looking for advice or comments from. anyone who's done the trip.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Re: Switzerland anybody?

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #2
We have been to Switzerland quite a few times. Our favourite places are Interlaken and Lucerne, both have campsites within walking distance. From Interlaken you can go to Grindlewald and Lauterbrunnen. The Ballenberg Outdoor Museum is close to Interlaken and well worth a visit.

Liked by: Ally, ROBANDSUE

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #3
Quote by TommyS

We have been to Switzerland quite a few times. Our favourite places are Interlaken and Lucerne, both have campsites within walking distance. From Interlaken you can go to Grindlewald and Lauterbrunnen. The Ballenberg Outdoor Museum is close to Interlaken and well worth a visit.

Did you drive straight there from the ferry over a day or two Tommy, or was it part of a more roundabout journey? We're just wondering how best to split the traveling distance. We're thinking possibly four/five days each way, enjoying stops on the route.

Liked by: TommyS

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #4
We have done it all ways, bombed down to have more time there and have cruised down. Usually we enter from Lyon, Geneva direction. There is a campsite on the Eastern side of the lake at Geneva, From Geneva, Annecy is close.Lausanne is also worth a look. I stick mainly to the motorways between towns. My van is over 3.5 tons and you buy a pass for the number of days you think you will be driving in the country and sign it each day you are driving. You can get this at the border

Liked by: tony glenn

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Switzerland anybody?

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #5
We were in Camping Fischers Fritz in Zurich, on the lake, beach, water activities, restaurants, all on site, 10 min to center city, public transport directly outside, not a cheap place to visit.

Liked by: tony glenn

mtravel
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Carthago Malibu 600DB
Base Vehicle: FIat Ducato 2.3 140CV
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #6
Quote by tony glenn

We're just wondering how best to split the traveling distance. We're thinking possibly four/five days each way, enjoying stops on the route.

From Calais a free motorway (Lille, Namur, Luxembourg, Metz, all cities that are worth a visit).
From here, 130 kms on national roads lead to the beautiful Strasbourg, now you are in Alsace, plenty of beautiful small towns and villages to visit.
The motorway Strasbourg-Basel (F-CH border) is free. On the way Colmar.
Remember that Swiss motorways require the purchase of the vignette (<3.5ton, roughly 40CHF or 40€) or a certain number of days (I believe twelve) for >3.5ton.
Any trailer needs its vignette.

Switzerland is all beautiful but quite camper unfriendly.
Few overnight stopovers but good availability of campsites.
For the rest areas you can refer to:
wohnmobilland-schweiz.ch
stellplatz.info/reisemobilstellplatz/schweiz
campercontact.com (it includes also campsites)

A few kilometers from Interlaken you will find Wengen, quite expensive but exceptional the ride by train (Jungfraujoch) with beautiful landscapes on Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau.

Besides Lucerne, nice are Geneva (land of luxury watches), Lausanne, Bern and Zurich.
The Rhine Falls are at a short distance from Schaffhausen.
To the south, Zermatt (accessible only by train, you have to stop below) spectacular views of the Matterhorn.
From Sankt Moritz you can take the Bernina train, another beautiful route that brings to Tirano (Italy).
Then you come back on the same train.
Then the Lakes, that of Geneva and the Bodensee with the beautiful Constance.
And those shared with Italy where you can cross over (Lake Maggiore, Ceresio and with a short excursion from Lugano, that of Como).

Don't forget that Switzerland is quite expensive.

Max

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #7
This is really useful info, much appreciated. Suddenly, an idea becomes a plan.....MH Craic rules ok!
🤞😎

Gar99
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Roller team 295P
Base Vehicle: Renault Master dci150
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #8
Quote by mtravel

Quote by tony glenn

We're just wondering how best to split the traveling distance. We're thinking possibly four/five days each way, enjoying stops on the route.

From Calais a free motorway (Lille, Namur, Luxembourg, Metz, all cities that are worth a visit).
From here, 130 kms on national roads lead to the beautiful Strasbourg, now you are in Alsace, plenty of beautiful small towns and villages to visit.
The motorway Strasbourg-Basel (F-CH border) is free. On the way Colmar.
Remember that Swiss motorways require the purchase of the vignette (<3.5ton, roughly 40CHF or 40€) or a certain number of days (I believe twelve) for >3.5ton.
Any trailer needs its vignette.

Switzerland is all beautiful but quite camper unfriendly.
Few overnight stopovers but good availability of campsites.
For the rest areas you can refer to:
wohnmobilland-schweiz.ch
stellplatz.info/reisemobilstellplatz/schweiz
campercontact.com (it includes also campsites)

A few kilometers from Interlaken you will find Wengen, quite expensive but exceptional the ride by train (Jungfraujoch) with beautiful landscapes on Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau.

Besides Lucerne, nice are Geneva (land of luxury watches), Lausanne, Bern and Zurich.
The Rhine Falls are at a short distance from Schaffhausen.
To the south, Zermatt (accessible only by train, you have to stop below) spectacular views of the Matterhorn.
From Sankt Moritz you can take the Bernina train, another beautiful route that brings to Tirano (Italy).
Then you come back on the same train.
Then the Lakes, that of Geneva and the Bodensee with the beautiful Constance.
And those shared with Italy where you can cross over (Lake Maggiore, Ceresio and with a short excursion from Lugano, that of Como).

Don't forget that Switzerland is quite expensive.

Max

Wow Max, you should write a travel book, in a few lines you gave such a great choice of places worth seeing, after reading I'm already looking forward to going there, wonderful, thank you.

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #9
Sounds good Tony. We are going to Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald for some hiking on way to med in July. Last trip we went through Luxembourg with free aire and cheaper diesel. Then we went via strasbourg, down along the rhine and into CH via basel. The vignette is bought before border. I was surprised by the campsite prices, significantly cheaper than IRL. Even with us still taking kids, swiss sites in mountains are cheaper than here. Even pricing for 2022 seems good. If you fill up in LUX then you shouldnt need to buy much in Switzerland and everything is VERY expensive. For us the hiking and sceneery is free, so we really did not need to spend much in CH. You will find that wild camping is frowned upon and aires are not very numerous

Liked by: TommyS, tony glenn

mtravel
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Carthago Malibu 600DB
Base Vehicle: FIat Ducato 2.3 140CV
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2022  ·  #10
Quote by Gar99

Wow Max, you should write a travel book, in a few lines you gave such a great choice of places worth seeing, after reading I'm already looking forward to going there, wonderful, thank you.

I live in Italy thirty kilometers from the Swiss border.
So much of Europe is easy to reach for us.
With the exclusion of Bulgaria and a few countries formerly part of Yugoslavia, I can say that I have visited all the others.
Some, Great Britain included, even several times.
I wrote about forty travel reports but obviously in Italian.
Actually, I also wrote one in my poor English as a gift to friends of www.motorhomeowners.org.
If you are interested you can find it at
https://d28lcup14p4e72.cloudfr…20more.pdf

Max

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.