Homepage: about.me/waynegibb…
My Motorhome: Granduca
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Suggestions for northern France please

· 
Posted: 20.02.2022  ·  #1
Hi there.

Relative newbie here. Set up an account on here last May, but lost all the details and had to start again today.

We've camped (tent and more recently motorhome) all around Ireland over the past decade or so, but decided to go further afield this year. We booked ferry to Cherbourg today for a week or so at the start of August.

I've spent the last 2 hours on Google Maps and various websites trying to tie down a campsite. But there is so much out there that my head is fried.

Can anyone offer some suggestions please? I'd feel happier booking somewhere that has a personal recommendation from someone who's been there.

Criteria:

1. Preference is for a regular site rather than an Aire (we're fairly new to the motorhome and I'd like the security and services of a 'proper' site.
2. Ideal location would be walking distance to beach but also close to a town.
3. Happy to move around a bit, but I figured Nantes would be about as far south as I'd want to go on our maiden voyage (2 kids and a dog, so not going to risk a massive journey time).
4. 2 kids (13 and 10yo), so on-site facilities for them would be good (pool at least).

As I said, I've gone round in circles looking at places all along the coast from about Nantes up to Brest. We arrive on a Wednesday morning and get the ferry back home the following Thursday, so we have 8 nights overall. Happy to split that up by hitting 2 or 3 sites, so all suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Liked by: Ally, petereire

petereire
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: autoquest 270
Base Vehicle: Talbot express
Subject:

Re: Suggestions for northern France please

· 
Posted: 20.02.2022  ·  #2
best place you could have asked,welocme and safe travels :)

Liked by: wgibbons

wgibbons
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2022  ·  #3
Quote by petereire

best place you could have asked,welocme and safe travels :)

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing what recommendations pop up.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2022  ·  #4
Have a look at the ‘Yelloh village’ chain of campsites.
Really well set up for kids, multiple pools , play areas, restaurants, play clubs etc.
We’ve stayed in a couple (our family grown) but the kids facilities are superb.
See https://www.yellohvillage.co.u…try/France and see what they offer.
Lots more info to follow I’m sure, enjoy your trip…. France is superbly set up for motorhoming.

Liked by: PaulH, wgibbons

wgibbons
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2022  ·  #5
Thanks! Yes, we stayed in a challet in a Yelloh Village in the south of France a few years back, I'll look into what they have in the northern region now.

wgibbons
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2022  ·  #6
Got antsy and just booked a few places.

4 nights in Yelloh Village La Plage (near Quimper), then 3 nights in Nantes Campsite (city break on wheels!) and the final night in Yelloh Village Le Pins (heading closer to Cherbourg for the last night seems like a good idea).

Thanks for the tip about the Yelloh Village sites.

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, JJF, panda, PaulH

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2022  ·  #7
Aaahhhh….. good stuff.
Don’t think the yelloh village sites will disappoint, they’re well run, well kept and clean and tidy and all have really good facilities.
Remember, updates required here on your trip……… you must let us be jealous too !

Liked by: eirebus, wgibbons

wgibbons
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2022  ·  #8
Quote by JJF

Aaahhhh….. good stuff.
Don’t think the yelloh village sites will disappoint, they’re well run, well kept and clean and tidy and all have really good facilities.
Remember, updates required here on your trip……… you must let us be jealous too !

Well all they had left were the '2 flower' pitches, so basic enough but probably as good if not better than most places here. Plus, the facilities for the kids and entertainment seem really good regardless of the 'flower' rating!

Thanks.

Liked by: JJF, petereire, sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2022  ·  #9
Quote by wgibbons

Quote by JJF

Aaahhhh….. good stuff.

Well all they had left were the '2 flower' pitches, so basic enough but probably as good if not better than most places here. Plus, the facilities for the kids and entertainment seem really good regardless of the 'flower' rating!

Thanks.

you and the children will enjoy the Nantes Machines, which way are you traveling first. don't forget to call to WBS in Cherbourg on your way from the boat for your weeks supply of wine.and the order for collection on the way home,tell Chris/Fred we sent you. Have you been to Mont San Michelle

Liked by: JJF, ntg

wgibbons
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2022  ·  #10
Quote by sprinter

you and the children will enjoy the Nantes Machines, which way are you traveling first. don't forget to call to WBS in Cherbourg on your way from the boat for your weeks supply of wine.and the order for collection on the way home,tell Chris/Fred we sent you. Have you been to Mont San Michelle

Travelling from Cherbourg to Quimper, then down to Nantes and back up to neat Saint-Malo for the last night. The longest leg is Cherbourg to Quimper, about 5 hours.

Liked by: sprinter

fairytreehouse
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2022  ·  #11
petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2022  ·  #12
Hi Wayne, we stayed a few times in the yelloh village la plage ,nice enough campsite, friendly staff , great beach ,maybe a good idea to stock up on your provisions as its a bit of a drive to the nearest supermarket ,then again if your out touring about that will not be a problem. There's a small aires over by the beach also. Have you applied for the yelloh card ? it gets you a discount for your next stay when you collect enough points, handy to have.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2022  ·  #13
sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2022  ·  #14
Quote by wgibbons

Quote by sprinter

Travelling from Cherbourg to Quimper, then down to Nantes and back up to neat Saint-Malo for the last night. The longest leg is Cherbourg to Quimper, about 5 hours.

I think everyone will advise you not to do too long driving in one one stint, its when Mister Cranky sneaks into the van.
I don't take a lot of notice how long Google quotes for travel time,I take the distance and then use 80kph to calculate the travel time. so I would add at least another hour to your traveling to Yelloh Village, and look for something /somewhere to spend an hour or two off the road to break your journey. even if it is one of the big Hypermarkets about half way to stock up, and book into the campsite for an evening arrival, a lot less stressful. :-/

Liked by: JJF, ntg, PaulH, petereire

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2022  ·  #15
Looks like you've got the itinerary planned but if the schedule is not full yet, Le Grande Metairie in Carnac could fit your route, not far off track between Quimper and Nantes.
It was the last French Campsite we stayed in pre motorhome, jam packed with activities. We used it as a test at the time to see if we could not use the car for as much of the week as possible to understand how we might do in a camper where you don't want to pack everything up to go to the supermarket. It's a little bit outside the town but very handy by bike, beach not too far either.

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2022  ·  #16
As you are only going for 8 days (is that after you arrive in Cherbourg) I would find a campsite closer to Cherbourg, get settled and start enjoying rather than hours of driving there and back. I remember the moan was “are we nearly there yet” and that was an hour before Rosslare. Campsites are very different in France. We loved Yelloh campsites . With Covid not been for 2 years so forgotten names.

Liked by: sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2022  ·  #17
Quote by R&N

As you are only going for 8 days (is that after you arrive in Cherbourg) I would find a campsite closer to Cherbourg, get settled and start enjoying rather than hours of driving there and back. I remember the moan was “are we nearly there yet” and that was an hour before Rosslare. Campsites are very different in France. We loved Yelloh campsites . With Covid not been for 2 years so forgotten names.

That the way I'm thinking too. I would forgo one night at at the beach and hit somewhere like, "Camping Saint Michel",about about 2 hours from the boat, Mont Saint-Michel its about 10k further on with loads of parking ( they do charge you the overnight rate) ,You could check in to the campsite and get your spot as you pass, and spend the afternoon, on the Mont.
Next morning head off to Yelloh Village, La Plage about 3.5 hours.

Liked by: rebbyvid, ROBANDSUE

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.02.2022  ·  #18
As i have been going to France for many years (not many campsites ) i could recommend lots of places to visit but in a week you will be limited especially as you have already booked your sites but one of my favourite places and on you route is Fougeres an which is well worth a visit or maybe keep it in mind for a future visit.
there's a few pics on this blog.
https://rebbyvid.blogspot.com/…-2018.html

Liked by: Europa

Pirahna
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.02.2022  ·  #19
Just for something different I would have suggested Annecy. There's a decent artificial beach on the lake, the town is lovely, plenty of campsites and lots to do.

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.02.2022  ·  #20
Great choices there, we've stayed at Camping Nantes and Yellow village La Capricious near Bayeux. Both great sites, as said, French sites are, on the whole, fantastic :ok_hand:

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.