StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

So far

· 
Posted: 01.11.2021  ·  #1
Caught the 1645 Stena ferry Rosslare to Cherbourg it was a little late leaving 90 minutes. Heated dog lodge for Bertie not very big enough room in each of the 8 kennels for two very small dogs or one large dog. Bertie wasn’t happy to find 3 kennels in the DOG lodge occupied by cats.
Ferry ok arrived about mid day on dry land on Sunday, shops shut but we had planned for that. Monday off for a big shop only to find it’s all saints day and most shops closed. Found an Aldi that don’t celebrate all saints day. All good. Stayed on a commercial Aire near Laval €11 inc all services. Now 160 miles south at Prahecq municipal Aire free inc ehu and all services. Tomorrow 150 miles again to saint germain. Weather ok 14 degrees and showers. Fuel in supermarkets around €1.48 per ltr.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

Re: So far

· 
Posted: 01.11.2021  ·  #2
Good stuff Jamie....Looking forward to these sunny travel tales over the grey winter months :up:

Liked by: eirebus, ntg, sprinter

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2021  ·  #3
Safe journey Jamie. From you earlier posts I had though you were already gone south, must have misread them, 🙄.

Liked by: sprinter

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2021  ·  #4
Quote by baguette

Safe journey Jamie. From you earlier posts I had though you were already gone south, must have misread them, 🙄.

We closed a bit ahead of time to get the site ready for closing down. And had a day at ferrybank before Rosslare. Heading south now.

presstout1
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 896f
Base Vehicle: Fait Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2021  ·  #5
StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2021  ·  #6
Now at Jaca. I spent 4 nights in France. I have done 700 miles roughly. So far I have spent €210 on fuel since leaving ferrybank. I’m getting about 24 mpg. I’m not hanging about and some of the hills and villages have had a negative impact on fuel consumption. Crossed into Spain via the Somport tunnel a first for me, the scenery was amazing snow capped mountains. Heading a bit further today just stopped for shopping. Repsol diesel €1.40 per ltr in Spain.

Crossing via Bilbao 30 hrs give or take and straight into Spain versus Rosslare to Cherbourg 18hrs cheaper crossing but 4 days/700 miles and €200 of diesel.!!!
Next year already booked Rosslare to Bilbao but it was nice to something different.
Sunny but only 11 degrees today, tonight it’s meant to get to zero degrees.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2021  ·  #7
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Crossing via Bilbao 30 hrs give or take and straight into Spain versus Rosslare to Cherbourg 18hrs cheaper crossing but 4 days/700 miles and €200 of diesel.!!!
Next year already booked Rosslare to Bilbao but it was nice to something different.

I'm thinking of heading off mid March to early June and have done a few price comparisons. Rosslare to Bilbao €1105 return, Rosslare to Cherbourg (using the link from this site), €622. As I'm in no hurry and have plenty of time I look on the 4 days / 700 miles as part of the holiday, every different road is a new adventure. We never get lost, we just explore different routes.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2021  ·  #8
Quote by Flipperdipper

I'm thinking of heading off mid March to early June and have done a few price comparisons. Rosslare to Bilbao €1105 return, Rosslare to Cherbourg (using the link from this site), €622. As I'm in no hurry and have plenty of time I look on the 4 days / 700 miles as part of the holiday, every different road is a new adventure. We never get lost, we just explore different routes.

Mid March and June would be a lot warmer probably in France than now so yes if you are in no hurry it’s good to do France

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2021  ·  #9

Now at Jaca. I spent 4 nights in France. I have done 700 miles roughly. So far I have spent €210 on fuel since leaving ferrybank. I’m getting about 24 mpg. I’m not hanging about and some of the hills and villages have had a negative impact on fuel consumption. Crossed into Spain via the Somport tunnel a first for me, the scenery was amazing snow capped mountains. Heading a bit further today just stopped for shopping. Repsol diesel €1.40 per ltr in Spain.

It's forecast to be a balmy 5 degrees here in Lucan tonight, I didn't even bother lighting the stove. #notjealousatall

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2021  ·  #10
Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2021  ·  #11
Quote by the fat controller

Jamie, I have found that the Bon Arena fuel station are considerably cheaper than Repsol in Spain so keep an eye out for them.

If you're anywhere near Guissona, https://www.google.ie/maps/@41…a=!3m1!1e3
as well as cheaper fuel the Bon Área has the cheapest buffet that I ever came across. Mainly pork and chicken with a good variety of sausages which you cook yourself on a hotplate. Mrs Dipper wasn't too enthusiastic about it but I thought it was great. Tends to get busy 12:30 to about 13:45. €5, yes five euro per person, eat as much or as little as you want. Good supermarket in the building as well. Not too far away is Vinya Els Vilars in Arbeca, https://www.google.ie/maps/dir…m2!4m1!3e0
where you can stock up on good wine and olive oil, tasting sessions available and free Aire on site overlooking the vineyards.

voyager
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2021  ·  #12
Hi Jamie

Not sure where you are heading but motorway from Zaragosa to Valencia is now toll free, as is the AP7 motorway from Valencia south
Voyager

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2021  ·  #13
Had few days at camping Estepa at Valfarta in land in northern Spain it’s a very quiet campsite with no shops restaurants anywhere close but we like it. €10 per night ehu if needed €1 every six hours. Showers WiFi etc free, washing machine €2. Now near benicarlo at camping Algeria for a few nights, again not a site for everyone but we like it, €18 per night Acsi rate. Very warm today 24 degrees. Loving life. Off to an Aire we know next if it’s not full, if it is we have a plan b and c.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2021  ·  #14
adria
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2021  ·  #15
Wishing we were there...... stayed in Algeria for a month it was the last of our winter break before heading into France..... had a great time there with the people on site.,,. Brits,French and the Dutch..... say hello if you are up in the bar. And the staff a very nice ..... enjoy your trip Jamie and keep us posted....

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2021  ·  #16
You are only about an hour from our place, pity we weren't there or we could have let you stay for a recharge.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2021  ·  #17
Quote by the fat controller

You are only about an hour from our place, pity we weren't there or we could have let you stay for a recharge.

Thanks Jon but we have only been gone a week or so and we are all good.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2021  ·  #18
After Benicarlo we went to El Grao. An Aire which has a maximum stay of 48 hours which was not enforced unfortunately and it was obvious that people were staying much longer, we arrived early and got a spot but both nights we woke up to find another MH blocking us in, the turning area was also occupied. It’s free and in a nice location but needs to be chargeable or the rules enforced as it was way oversubscribed. Found ourselves back at El Naranjal in Javea again. Intended to stay 5 nights here and then head to camping Javea that so many people have told me is better than Naranjal but I went on the scooter and asked at reception if I could have a look round and whilst I can see most prefer it I didn’t so I have extended our stay by an extra few days here.
Some things that surprised me. Campsites are much less busy than previous years the row I’m on now 25% occupied and it was similar in other sites. Shops/restaurants are not asking for covid certs. Masks are worn even by people alone in the middle of nowhere.
Temperature late teens early twenties during the day low teens at night. Heading to an Aire at archena next, then maybe the IKEA Aire.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2021  ·  #19
Found camping Javea quite a soulless place too…. Barron pitches with little character.
The town & the playa itself is nice though.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2021  ·  #20
Quote by JJF

Found camping Javea quite a soulless place too…. Barron pitches with little character.
The town & the playa itself is nice though.

That’s why I prefer Naranjal 10 minutes to the beach. 5 minutes to a Nepalese/Indian and some nice small green walking areas for the hound.

benen
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: fiat ducato
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2021  ·  #21
In mazarron at moment, I think weather is not good for next few days,haven't been in site but park close by a few and seem very quite ,walk in to town this morning was like Xmas day dead lots of shops close ,there is a nice port here

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2021  ·  #22
Quote by benen

In mazarron at moment, I think weather is not good for next few days,haven't been in site but park close by a few and seem very quite ,walk in to town this morning was like Xmas day dead lots of shops close ,there is a nice port here

Thank you for this I’m heading that way soon.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2021  ·  #23
Took the dog out yesterday the temperature at 7.50 am was 17 degrees but it was very cloudy. The forecast was for rain all day. Lunch time no rain and the temperature had soared to 18 degrees. We had planned to leave on Monday morning and I was debating pack the boot putting the scooter away etc but as Sunday was meant to be dry I decided to leave it. It started to rain at 6pm and has continued now for 15 hours with no let up. The dog looked out the door and went back to bed without his morning walk. Rain may stop according to the weather forecasts early afternoon so I might get everything packed away then. I don’t like packing wet ground sheets but the alternative is to stay longer and I’m ready to move on now.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

on So far

· 
Posted: 21.11.2021  ·  #24
All together you have a better chance of getting continues good weather, enjoy it.
I think we did a bit better here last couple days, Friday morning in the Cove, the swimmers were sitting around in beach chairs, and 3 guys cooking the full Irish on a gas grill, and yesterday we got a full day doing the winter cutback in the garden, but cold after dark,

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.11.2021  ·  #25
So 4 weeks ago yesterday we arrived in Cherbourg we are now at Mar Azul a campsite surrounded by plastic growing sheds, vegetables rather than pot I believe. After we left Javea we went to the IKEA Aire in Murcia then to a campsite that has always been full when we have tried to book in advance but I read elsewhere that rather than booking in advance if you only want a few days just turn. They had 8 or so pitches available for a week or more we found a nice pitch slap bang in the middle of Sweden at least that’s what it felt like. Playa mazarron I nice site facing the beach. The reception was incredibly slow and to leave you have to park offsite about 200m away and walk back to reception and hand over the barrier fob and pay.
Next we went to Aire in Vera town intending to stay for 3 nights but left after one. There was lots of shooting and bangs which my dog hated. Next a rustic campsite little Texas in the middle of the spaghetti western filming area. €15 for the night inc ehu, WiFi and I think showers. We have been using our own shower mainly. We could only get a pitch here in Mar Azul for three nights which suits us fine. I have gone from Sweden to Germany who are staying for a very long time. Masks are rarely worn by the majority of campers even inside buildings although I’m wearing mine the whole time. We are staying in this general area for a week or so bank holidays on the 6 and 8 of December then to Torrox and the Marbella, we are still intending on going to Portugal but we are watching the news and mindful of any extra restrictions that may be brought in. Rub it in moment 19 degrees full sun and about 12 at night.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.11.2021  ·  #26
We stayed at Playa de Mazarrón a few times. It's really popular with the Scandinavians.
It's a great site to settle into for a few months with the local and intercity buses outside the gate plus the local shops and restaurants.
The site hosts various social activities including free bingo once a week with bottles of wine as the prizes 😊🍷

Keep up the good reporting Jamie, we're heading to the Andelucia / Murcia area via The Algarve in mid January 🤞

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2021  ·  #27

Don't you wish you were here Jamie, hope you shut the doors and windows tight 😁😁

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2021  ·  #28
Quote by eirebus

Don't you wish you were here Jamie, hope you shut the doors and windows tight 😁😁

We are going to keeping an eye (cctv) on the storm as it also coincides with high tides. But hopefully my gates and shutters will hold.

Liked by: eirebus, ntg, sprinter

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2021  ·  #29
Big coat then again,😀

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Moving

· 
Posted: 14.12.2021  ·  #30
So after Mar Azul we went to adra mercadona good access for parking to
Campsite Huerta Romero very close to the beach. Also an nice Aire almost next door the campsite. The campsite is not in Acsi but €19 per night. Good but not great. Then El pino in Torrox Acsi campsite now €18 per night it was €15 in 2019. The site is difficult to navigate in a 7.4m MH but we like the restaurant about 100m away from the entrance. It was here our fridge freezer stopped working but we go it fixed (for now) now at camping Torre de Mar. Nice beach side site €20 on Acsi rate again getting on the pitch tight but with the help of a danish lady, French gent and Amanda we parked up next to a nice Swiss gent. Weather still good. Not sure whether to head to Cabo Pino or turn around from here. But all is good.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

So far

· 
Posted: 14.12.2021  ·  #31

We are going to keeping an eye (cctv) on the storm as it also coincides with high tides. But hopefully my gates and shutters will hold.

Did you have any damage at home, during the last storm?

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.12.2021  ·  #32
StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2021  ·  #33
Upwards.
So we left torre de Mar campsite. A site i’d go back to for its location but not if you were reliant on their facilities.
We went back to Mar Azul to pick up the 2022 Acsi book and on arrival we found they no longer stock the book. We booked in for 2 nights but I was disappointed that during our first night we had an email in German (only not even Spanish) telling us to leave before 12 noon the following day. The email was followed up by a hand delivered letter at 8.30am again in German telling us to leave before 12 noon the following day. I did go to the reception as I was leaving at 10.30am after my second night and explained I speak English live in Ireland and I would have expected the letter to be in Spanish rather than German. I did also express the email followed by the hand delivered letter was a bit of an overkill. On the pitch beside me was a German, nice enough couple who had a domestic washing machine on their pitch and the pitch the other side again nice German couple had a domestic fridge freezer bigger than mine at home in their awning. The campsite was a chorus of Morgan Morgan even in the afternoon.
Now at a campsite in Roquetas De Mar. Where we will stay until after the 3 king’s celebration. It’s a nice campsite and only a short walk to miles of beaches and boardwalks. The campsite is around 95% full. On my my row there is a mix of British, Dutch, Spanish, Swiss.
Amanda is preparing our traditional Christmas dinner, a slow cooked beef rendang.
Cloudy today but acuweather saying 27 degrees and 9 hours of sun on Monday the other weather app says it’ll be 22 degrees (I’ll take that). As we leave I’ll go to Elche where I know a place that have the Acsi book, then maybe Benidorm for a few days.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

So far

· 
Posted: 25.12.2021  ·  #34
Enjoy you Christmas Jami & a Amanda, your in the best place for the weather, its overcast, grey and drizzling rain since yesterday, its a day for a glass and the fire, I tried to put Liath out and she went and got my slippers,

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2022  ·  #35
the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2022  ·  #36
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.