Vodafone X for roaming experience please

76zedfour
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.10.2021  ·  #1
I am looking for a sim to use in Spain for the winter for data in my 4g router, and possibly a few weeks in france and Portugal too.
Vodafone Ireland have got a PAYG sim called Vodafone X

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay…one-x.html

20 euros PAYG
Unlimited Data, maximum speed 10Mbps
Unlimited any network texts
100 any network minutes & unlimited minutes from 3pm on Fridays until 11.59pm on Sundays
Includes your full allowance roaming in Europe
Your offer will re-activate every time you top up by €20 or more in one go

Just wondered on peoples experience of using this SIM abroad. It obviously says full allowance available in EU albeit throttled to 10mbs which is fine for me. I just wonder if the fair use policy kicks in once you stay longer than 60 days. Vodafone UK had same wording in their T&C for years but only began enforcing it from earlier this year.

I used a Spanish SIMYO this spring 9euros for 25gb PAYG after my Three and Vodafone SIMs were locked due to exceeding fair usage policy but would like a data sim that i can use no hassle in Ireland, England, Spain, France and Portugal

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: Vodafone X for roaming experience please

· 
Posted: 27.10.2021  ·  #2
I have a Vodafone bill pay deal for €35 pm which gives unlimited everything at home and throughout Europe plus 100 minutes international (useful for calling campsites to book ahead)
I hotspot my laptop, satnav, tablet etc. off the phone as necessary. If I had a smart telly I could probably hotspot that too.

Liked by: krissovo

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.10.2021  ·  #3
If your router is not network locked, you could just get a Spanish SIM when you get there. All of the roaming options are compromised, either with data caps or throttling unless you're using an expensive Vodafone plan.

Liked by: baguette, sprinter

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.10.2021  ·  #4
Can you just buy a Spanish SIM or do you have to have a local address ????

Same question for France ???

Liked by: sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.10.2021  ·  #5
Yes you can, on line and have them delivered, or in country from the usual stores, this is probably the best option as they will do whatever setting up you need.
I've used a Movestar one month sim, in Spain, in a spare phone, just make sure your phone is un blocked. Some of the newer phones will take 2 simcard. So you may not need a second phone.

Liked by: eirebus

krissovo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.10.2021  ·  #6
Quote by baguette

I have a Vodafone bill pay deal for €35 pm which gives unlimited everything at home and throughout Europe plus 100 minutes international (useful for calling campsites to book ahead)
I hotspot my laptop, satnav, tablet etc. off the phone as necessary. If I had a smart telly I could probably hotspot that too.

I have the same deal, it has been used in Ireland, UK & France so far without any issues at all and I burn through between 20 and 100gb a month. Normally there is 3 or 4 ipads plus phones, a laptop and TV connected. It might be time to shop around if if similar is available for €20.

Its not sientific testing in any way but my daughther uses a vodafone PAYG sim and her modem usually syncs with the lower frequency bands when my bill pay syncs with the higher frequency bands. I normaly have 25% more bandwidth than she does

Liked by: sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.10.2021  ·  #7
Quote by krissovo

Quote by baguette

I have the same deal, it has been used in Ireland, UK & France so far without any issues at all and I burn through between 20 and 100gb a month. Normally there is 3 or 4 ipads plus phones, a laptop and TV connected. It might be time to shop around if if similar is available for €20.

Its not sientific testing in any way but my daughther uses a vodafone PAYG sim and her modem usually syncs with the lower frequency bands when my bill pay syncs with the higher frequency bands. I normaly have 25% more bandwidth than she does

I have had that crap, going on for a couple of years, but you will never get them or any of the suppliers to admit they treat PAYG differently to Bill pay..

76zedfour
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.10.2021  ·  #8
The reason I flagged up this Vodafone X deal is after reading the T&Cs I can find no mention of a data cap abroad so unlimited appears unlimited. Perhaps they justify this by the lower max speed of 10Mbs but that is fine for my use. I also can only see a reference to voice and SMS with regard to a fair use policy of more time at home than abroad in a four month period. So again this appears as a near perfect data card for long stayers in EU.

Is there anyone currently away using this card?

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.