Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Dingle

· 
Posted: 15.08.2021  ·  #1

Was in Dingle on Friday night. Appears to be a bit of pragmatism going on there in the main car park by Kerry County Council. The first 3 / 4 bus bays have been reserved for buses and cordoned off. Park there and you will get a ticket.

The remainder of the very generous bus bays have the above sign on the wall, "Temporary Parking for Cars" which, it would seem includes us. Paid for parking 08.00 to 18.00 at €1 per hour, 7 days. Free outside those hours.

If you put €2 into the meter after 18.00 it covers you until 10.00 so your not running across to the machine in your jocks at 08.00

(can someone rotate the image please)

Liked by: Ally, big LIam, Europa, JJF, skibbjerome, TommyS, +deleted user

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Dingle

· 
Posted: 16.08.2021  ·  #2
Sign of the times Eamon, usually Sumner time the bus bays are all busy with Tourist coaches, and you would get ticketed in any of them, but no too many around and more car visits.
Christmas time I've seen cars parked. nose to tail , and campers. filling up some of them with no tickets. play by the rules and it's generally ok.
I have seen the attendant knocking to remind people if your staying get a ticket.

Liked by: eirebus

Daniel Kennedy
Subject:

Re: Dingle

· 
Posted: 16.08.2021  ·  #3
Update , I was in Dingle last week and I spoke with the traffic warden about the coach bays as he was giving out tickets to 4 motorhomes in said bays. He told me it was ok to park in the bays past the temporary sign and also said there was no overnight parking. I pressed him saying I stayed there overnight last year, he replied saying there was no traffic warden last year and if I parked overnight I risked a ticket.

Liked by: CHAUSSON, Thornwood

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Dingle

· 
Posted: 17.08.2021  ·  #4
Quote by Daniel Kennedy

Update , I was in Dingle last week and I spoke with the traffic warden about the coach bays as he was giving out tickets to 4 motorhomes in said bays. He told me it was ok to park in the bays past the temporary sign and also said there was no overnight parking. I pressed him saying I stayed there overnight last year, he replied saying there was no traffic warden last year and if I parked overnight I risked a ticket.

Is that no overnight in the bus bays or the whole carpark.?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2021  ·  #5
With Fungi RIP you would think Dingle would be pulling out all the stops to encourage and facilitate tourists of all categories to spend some time, and €€€€, in the town

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2021  ·  #6
Parking tickets are issued under the Road Traffic Act, it is very prescriptive about the requirements for signage where there parking is allowed but restricted either by length of time, specific hours or payment. The sign above doesn't come anywhere close to the requirements. For reference if you ever receive a parking ticket in such a location, the major requirement id for either

RUS018 (Parking Permitted)

with an accompanying supplementary sign P051 specifying the hours of operation

or else supplementary sign P053 indicating the payment regime (Disc, Pay and Display, etc...) and the hours of operation.

Outside of the hours of operation, parking is permitted without any time limit or payment restrictions.

RUS019 (Parking Prohibited)

with an accompanying supplementary sign P051

specifying the hours of operation. Outside of the hours of operation, parking is permitted.

There is simply no other way of restricting overnight parking under the Road Traffic Act and as such no basis in law to issue a parking ticket for overnight parking in an area where parking is allowed by day. The signage requirements do not allow for the application of camper / motorhome specific restrictions.

Daniel Kennedy
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2021  ·  #7
Sprinter, the traffic warden told me it was the whole car park and there are signs indicating no overnight parking for motorhomes. At both ends and in the middle.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2021  ·  #8
Quote by Daniel Kennedy

Sprinter, the traffic warden told me it was the whole car park and there are signs indicating no overnight parking for motorhomes. At both ends and in the middle.

It's possible to restrict all overnight parking using a combination of signs in my previous post but not specifically motorhome/campers while allowing overnight carparking because the supplementary signs are very prescriptive in the information that they can and can't contain.
The approach they're taking is FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) because they know that they have no legal basis for enforcement.

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2021  ·  #9
Traffic Signs Manual
Chapter 5 – Regulatory Signs
5.1.3 The following sections of this Chapter deal with the various types of regulatory sign and describe where they should be used. Detailed designs for the signs are provided on the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport’s websites www.dttas.gov.ie and www.trafficsigns.ie. These signs are the only regulatory signs which shall be used. No other sizes, colours, symbols or text hall be used.

The highlighted text is highlighted in the actual manual.

5.17 Parking Regulation Signs

P 051: PERIOD OF OPERATION
Permitted Variant: The period of operation may be varied, using the 24-hour clock and abbreviations for days of the week.

Nowhere in the Manual of Regulatory Signs is there a sign which depicts a motorhome (Motor Caravan).
The only vehicle depiction is an HGV box van to facilitate zonal control of parking restrictions of large vehicles over a specified weight during a specified period (24-hour clock)

ZONAL PARKING RESTRICTIONS
5.17.10 It may be required to limit or prohibit parking by large vehicles within a defined zone. In these circumstances, the No Parking Sign, RUS 019, can be used as part of an assembly with Supplementary Plate P 056 to indicate the entry and exit points of the zone. The size of the RUS 019 roundel should be in accordance with Table 5.7 in Section 5.12.
5.17.11 This sign indicates that there is a zonal restriction on the parking of vehicles exceeding a specific weight (e.g. 7.5t as shown). At the end of the restriction zone, the variant displaying “Críoch / END” should be provided. Permitted values for weight limits are given in Section 5.15.
5.17.12 These signs should be erected on both sides of the road, and the entry and end signs will generally be mounted back to back except in the case of one-way streets.
5.15.3 Signs RUS 015 and RUS 053 shall show one of the following gross vehicle weights: 3.5t, 7.5t, 10t, 12.5t, 18t, 26t and 32t.

So, the signs in use at Dingle can bring no regulation on motorhomes (motor-caravans). There simply are no authorised signs which can be used to single out motorhomes for separate treatment from other vehicles.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2021  ·  #10
Quote by <BM>

Quote by Daniel Kennedy

It's possible to restrict all overnight parking using a combination of signs in my previous post but not specifically motorhome/campers while allowing overnight carparking because the supplementary signs are very prescriptive in the information that they can and can't contain.
The approach they're taking is FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) because they know that they have no legal basis for enforcement.

'OVERNIGHT' is not listed as a valid period in the D.T.T.S. Traffic Signs Manual. The only time period signs that shall be used are ones that denot a time period using the 24-hour clock.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2021  ·  #11
Quote by baguette

Quote by <BM>

Quote by Daniel Kennedy

'OVERNIGHT' is not listed as a valid period in the D.T.T.S. Traffic Signs Manual. The only time period signs that shall be used are ones that denot a time period using the 24-hour clock.

Correct but it can effectively be done by using a specified time period or a time limit. They know this, they choose not to do this, hence I described their approach as FUD.

Liked by: sprinter

Thornwood
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony Line 700
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2021  ·  #12
In Newcastle Co Down they used the correct signs. They state No parking between 00 00 and 0600. No mention of MHs. All vehicles restricted between these times

Thornwood
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2021  ·  #13
Is the area opposite the Aquarium still operating with the honesty box?

Liked by: CHAUSSON

Daniel Kennedy
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2021  ·  #14
The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2021  ·  #15
Quote by baguette

With Fungi RIP you would think Dingle would be pulling out all the stops …

There’s an opening here for Wally the walrus surely.

Liked by: CHAUSSON, eirebus, PDK

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2021  ·  #16
Quote by Thornwood

Is the area opposite the Aquarium still operating with the honesty box?

We're there tonight with three other mh's . Lovely spot no hastle no limits and you can sit out with a beer without getting looks from passers-by. Unlike the council carpark there's a lovely view across the harbour. €10 in the honesty box. Unfortunately no services.

Liked by: CHAUSSON, eirebus, panda

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.09.2021  ·  #17
Thornwood
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.09.2021  ·  #18
Good to know heading that way Sunday. In Sneem at the moment. Great weather.

Liked by: panda, PDK

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.09.2021  ·  #19
Quote by Thornwood

Good to know heading that way Sunday. In Sneem at the moment. Great weather.

Seven across the front tonight. Space for one more plus a couple along the back next to the road. Max for the place looks like ten.

Liked by: PDK

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.