tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Bad Radio Reception

· 
Posted: 23.04.2021  ·  #1
I have a factory fitted radio in our 2004 Rimor. The radio works fine on all stations when parked up, but as soon as we're on the move the reception becomes intermittently crackly and noisy.
I've checked connections as best I can, is there an easy fix rather than trying to remove and replace the original aerial? Maybe an interior aerial instead? All advice appreciated.

Liked by: scotgard

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Bad Radio Reception

· 
Posted: 23.04.2021  ·  #2
Quote by tony glenn

I have a factory fitted radio in our 2004 Rimor. The radio works fine on all stations when parked up, but as soon as we're on the move the reception becomes intermittently crackly and noisy.
I've checked connections as best I can, is there an easy fix rather than trying to remove and replace the original aerial? Maybe an interior aerial instead? All advice appreciated.

check the earth connection between the body and the flange on the end of the lead connected to the sheet of the lead.

Liked by: eirebus, tony glenn

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

Re: Bad Radio Reception

· 
Posted: 23.04.2021  ·  #3
Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.04.2021  ·  #4
I had a similar problem in last van. Not exactly crackles but shite reception on the move and quite low. Changed the aerial to an 800 mm one including the attachment into the wing, which was a tad awkward, but it solved the problem

Liked by: tony glenn

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.04.2021  ·  #5
Quote by Daffysparks

I had a similar problem in last van. Not exactly crackles but shite reception on the move and quite low. Changed the aerial to an 800 mm one including the attachment into the wing, which was a tad awkward, but it solved the problem

Any further info on the 800mm you used ?

Im fiinding it impossible to get reception on last mh tried various aerials with same result,
The current mh has factory aerial but reception is brutal

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.04.2021  ·  #6
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try and check the aerial connection first. It's a Transit can, and the aerial mount is part of the plastic door mirror moulding. The other option might be to fit an interior aerial, and bypass the exterior one. Anybody ever done that?

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.04.2021  ·  #7
Ha! A Freudian typo.....'its a Transit can" ...... I meant "it's a Transit cab"!

Liked by: eirebus

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.04.2021  ·  #8
Quote by tony glenn

Ha! A Freudian typo.....'its a Transit can" ...... I meant "it's a Transit cab"!

That’s quite acceptable when you get to 3 score years and 10 so feel free to have more typos!

Liked by: tony glenn

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.04.2021  ·  #9
I got fed up with crap radio reception, I don't know why motorhome builders can't fit a decent aerial. Here in Midleton my old volvo will pick up local radio from Waterford to Kerry.
In the mh I now use a radio player app on the phone and play it through the radio via earphone jack on the phone to the aux in on the radio.
Bonus, you can listen to your favourite stations where ever you are, even in Europe.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2024  ·  #10
Quote by baguette

I got fed up with crap radio reception, I don't know why motorhome builders can't fit a decent aerial. Here in Midleton my old volvo will pick up local radio from Waterford to Kerry.
In the mh I now use a radio player app on the phone and play it through the radio via earphone jack on the phone to the aux in on the radio.
Bonus, you can listen to your favourite stations where ever you are, even in Europe.

An update.
Since I posted the above I've fitted a new radio which also does hands free for the phone.
I can now stream from the radio player on the phone via Bluetooth to the radio. Which means I can now tune in to my favourite RTE Gold in clear digital sound anywhere there's a phone signal, which these days is everywhere.
It's great to listen to Irish stations (or UK stations) anywhere in Europe.
The old fm aerial is now totally defunct, I don't even bother with it here at home.

For anyone concerned about data usage, streaming live radio uses just 28Mb per hour.

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2024  ·  #11
Quote by baguette

Quote by baguette

An update.
Since I posted the above I've fitted a new radio which also does hands free for the phone.
I can now stream from the radio player on the phone via Bluetooth to the radio. Which means I can now tune in to my favourite RTE Gold in clear digital sound anywhere there's a phone signal, which these days is everywhere.
It's great to listen to Irish stations (or UK stations) anywhere in Europe.
The old fm aerial is now totally defunct, I don't even bother with it here at home.

For anyone concerned about data usage, streaming live radio uses just 28Mb per hour.

I did the same, bought a 2nd hand Sony and use either Bluetooth or the USB plug which has the advantage of charging your phone as you drive along.
Don’t get me wrong there is some nice music on Spanish stations but not understanding the DJs lingo makes it tiresome never mind the ads

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.