waterways with kids

kavman
Subject:

waterways with kids

· 
Posted: 07.05.2013  ·  #1
evening all i have been hearing a good bit about the waterways route and am thinking of trying them for a change so heres my questions i have 2 kids ages 6 and 4 so looking for something kid friendly also ones where the are some facilities eg toilets at least so any ideas greatly welcome have heard a lot of good reports about portumna so please tell me more if ye can

thanks in advance

60rubberduck
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Swift Escape Low Profile
Base Vehicle: 2.2 Fiat Ducato Turbo
Subject:

Re: waterways with kids

· 
Posted: 08.05.2013  ·  #2
Terry glass & Garrykennedy good spots. Playground & toilets in both.

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs A6971 AKA Hoot
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2nd Gen 2.8HDi 128PS
Subject:

Re: waterways with kids

· 
Posted: 09.05.2013  ·  #3
Portumna is a good spot. Good playground in the village which is a short walk from the harbour. The harbour also gives you easy access to the Forest Park which is great for walking and cycling. Village has felt the brunt of the recession and the fire damaged hotel is a real loss but there are still some good places to eat, a good supermarket and a good hardware store which sells propane.

http://goo.gl/maps/MHKgN

Pull up on the right but face the harbour wall (not like the guy in the picture) as it can get very busy (10+ vans) on a summers weekend. No problem overnight parking here. There are signs requesting campervans to not park beside the harbour wall which is more than reasonable.

There is a toilet block but it is not up to the standard of Terryglass. AFAIK Waterways Ireland have recently taken over the harbour area from GCC and have a development plan in place. Apparently they also have the money!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.