Thinking of Importing from Germany

Sprinter Automatic 1998 advice?

Juan Nacido
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2021  ·  #1
Hi All Campers,
I'm a newbie with my first post, so any expert help welcome!
Thinking of importing from Germany, and have made initial contact with Pat Butler, in Waterford.
A 1998 motorhome on a Sprinter 312D Automatic caught my eye, 176200 kms on clock and was looking for some tips.
Is it a reliable and powerful engine for a full motorhome, Max weight is 3500 kg, rating is 90 kw (122hp)?
I believe German vans have a reasonably good reputation, this is via a dealer, with all history, HU cert etc., on the market for €19990.Looks good in photos with fixed bed, oven, solar heating and usual facilities. I understand re VRT etc, but am just wondering is it worth a further enquiry, and is it a reasonable deal?
Any specific issues to watch for?
Cheers,
John N.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.03.2021  ·  #2
Quote by Juan Nacido

Hi All Campers,
I'm a newbie with my first post, so any expert help welcome!
Thinking of importing from Germany, and have made initial contact with Pat Butler, in Waterford.
A 1998 motorhome on a Sprinter 312D Automatic caught my eye, 176200 kms on clock and was looking for some tips.
Is it a reliable and powerful engine for a full motorhome, Max weight is 3500 kg, rating is 90 kw (122hp)?
I believe German vans have a reasonably good reputation, this is via a dealer, with all history, HU cert etc., on the market for €19990.Looks good in photos with fixed bed, oven, solar heating and usual facilities. I understand re VRT etc, but am just wondering is it worth a further enquiry, and is it a reasonable deal?
Any specific issues to watch for?
Cheers,
John N.

Add 4/5 K to land it in Ireland, less, but not by much, if you go and get it yourself. before you consider the VRT.

Juan Nacido
Subject:

Re: Thinking of Importing from Germany

· 
Posted: 31.03.2021  ·  #3
Thanks Sprinter,
I know going abroad is costly and time consuming, but I would be willing to if the overall deal turned out to be worthwhile.
I'm looking for a camper for the next 5 years and possibly beyond.
In your experience, is the Sprinter 312d with reasonably low mileage a good reliable bet?
Has it enough power for the Scottish Hills?
Is the Automatic a plus or a minus, both for operational reasons, and resale value?
Is rust a big issue?
Cheers,
John.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.03.2021  ·  #4
is it a van conversion or a motorhome ( what make ) I had a van conversion 02. 220k miles no problems. auto I've no idea.
Up untill 06 the mechanics would have been good, on vans 02/06 the body rusted badly.
If it's a motorhome it will be the sitting on the Sprinter chassis and running gear, I would not be all that concerned about that, but it will be the motorhome build you will need to take particular notice of.
Post up the make, model, even the link chances are that someone will have had one in the past, and can offer,useful advise.

Juan Nacido
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.03.2021  ·  #5
Thanks for that.
Van is a Fendt motorhome model, with fixed bed Solar, sat tv and usual facilities.
As luck would have it, another Fendt appeared today, this is year 2000, with 123K Kms also on a Sprinter 321D Auto chassis, with HU cert until 11/21 Max weight 3500 kg.
Price negotiable at 22500, but from a private buyer. I would prefer a Dealer, but realise there is no guarantee with either.
Tried to upload a jpeg, but system said file type is not supported?
Cheers,
John.

Juan Nacido
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.03.2021  ·  #6

roadwretch
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2021  ·  #7
The 2.9 TD 5 cylinder engine in my mind is one of the best engines ever made. It will bring you around the world. Probably €3500-4000 VRT on that motorhome. Don't know how to get it home in this current climate. Nice looking motorhome. Check can for rust Chassis normally good. I have the same engine and chassis in a Hymer 640

Juan Nacido
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2021  ·  #8
Thanks for that Roadwretch.
I have heard that the engine is sound, and good to have it confirmed.
Haven't heard of Fendt very much as a van, and was advised that there not the highest German Quality build.
Also advised that this model at 22500 does not represent super value, so between that and the possible difficulties getting home from Germany, with possible quarantine, I'll let the hare sit for the time being.
Maybe go for an autumn purchase when things quieten down a bit.
Cheers,
John.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.