StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Negative reviews on trip advisor

· 
Posted: 26.03.2021  ·  #1
Over the last few months we have had a few people wonder into our campsite on foot, we have security bollards in place and a barrier. We always see the people on our security cameras and I approach them and I am usually told they are having a look around to decide if they want to stay later in the year. I’m thinking why would you be looking to stay on a campsite if you live within 5km of my site but I generally say, politely that we are not open and we do not allow visitors on site without an appointment and that there are plenty of video reviews on site if they want to get a better idea of our set up.

Any way I saw a trip advisor review of a campsite that I personally like like where it has been rated terrible. And whilst if anyone read the review in full they would discount the review but what is not fair is that a malicious negative review can reduce the overall score or rating on the business.

Here is an extract of the negative review from a person who basically admits they were trespassing, like I said I know this site and it is very obvious as you approach it that it is private property. And there is a barrier alongside their reception.

“My father and I decided to stroll into the caravan park purely to give it a quick look, as other family members had previously stayed there and had noted how lovely it was. Unbeknownst to us, we had entered 'private property, (however there was no gate or barrier to alert us to this?). I completely respect that private property is of course, private, and we would have been more than happy to apologise for our mistake and leave if we were politely asked to do so. Instead, a woman who came out of an on-site property dealt with us in an extremely rude and accusatory manner.
We left with our tails between our legs, shocked at how abrupt she was, as it was quite obvious we had no bad intentions whatsoever. If anything we probably would have considered recommending this place to any friends or family visiting in the future had this not happened.
I don't usually write these type of reviews, however this brief interaction left me with such a sour taste in my mouth. It takes very little effort to be decent, and I hope any future guests do not receive the same treatment.”

Like I have said this does not relate to my site and I will contact the actual site and let them know about the negative review.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Negative reviews on trip advisor

· 
Posted: 26.03.2021  ·  #2
Maybe a very short reply...

The park is never open to the general public to wander about. In season it's open to guests and out of season it's closed. If you do want to take a look, come ring the doorbell and there'll be no problem, as you say, it takes very little effort to be decent.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2021  ·  #3
Quote by <BM>

Maybe a very short reply...

The park is never open to the general public to wander about. In season it's open to guests and out of season it's closed. If you do want to take a look, come ring the doorbell and there'll be no problem, as you say, it takes very little effort to be decent.

It will be up to the campsite to respond to the review. And I’m sure they will respond accordingly.
Now I am sure that some people will take reviews with a punch of salt but there are a lot of people who select businesses based on overall review scores.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2021  ·  #4
We've been watching a show called Superstore on Netflix as a bit of low effort entertainment. There's an episode that digs into the anonymous internet review culture that's probably very close to the truth. Leaving bad reviews was the only part of the trolls life that they felt they had a little bit of power.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2021  ·  #5
Can they just leave a review if they're not customers? I'll probably take that up to tripadvisor, there should be some kind of monitoring/moderation on there to prevent that kind of bad rep of out nothing.

Some folks are just ignorants and have too much time on their hands.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2021  ·  #6
Quote by RTV

Can they just leave a review if they're not customers? I'll probably take that up to tripadvisor, there should be some kind of monitoring/moderation on there to prevent that kind of bad rep of out nothing.

Unfortunately yes they can write a review even if they haven’t stayed on the campsite. We have a total of 5 terrible reviews on Tripadvisor for our site. Guess out the 5 how many stayed on our site?
Clue <1

Marzypan
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2021  ·  #7
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Quote by RTV

Unfortunately yes they can write a review even if they haven’t stayed on the campsite. We have a total of 5 terrible reviews on Tripadvisor for our site. Guess out the 5 how many stayed on our site?
Clue <1

I cannot believe that a person can review anything without having experienced it, that's totally out of order. I have to say I am one of these people who leave reviews all the time. Every campsite I've stayed in especially abroad I have done a review on and hopefully it has helped others making their decision. However, I would never review anywhere I have not stayed in.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2021  ·  #8
Quote by Marzypan

Quote by RTV

Clue <1

I cannot believe that a person can review anything without having experienced it, that's totally out of order. I have to say I am one of these people who leave reviews all the time. Every campsite I've stayed in especially abroad I have done a review on and hopefully it has helped others making their decision. However, I would never review anywhere I have not stayed in.

It’s not just trip advisor, same with a lot of review sites, google reviews are the same.

Equally I have seen it where it is obvious that a family have not had a good experience and every member has left a negative review and have got friends to do the same negative reviews even though they have no experience or knowledge of the business.

I tend to read reviews when I am choosing where to stay and you can often spot the clash of personality reviews if you look at multiple reviews.

Liked by: Marzypan

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2021  ·  #9
Quote by RTV

Anyone can, we have friends that had an apartment that they used to rent out in the Algarve a few years ago and I got an email from them for something and on top of the email there was some kind of link to their apartment, anyway Pat been nosey clicked on it to see what the Apartment was like and there to my surprise was a fantastic review that Maria and myself left the previous year :lol:
I got a lot of mileage out of that afterwards :happy:

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2021  ·  #10
Why do you think he sent it to you Pat 😂

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2021  ·  #11
Quote by Daffysparks

Why do you think he sent it to you Pat 😂

don't think I was suppose to see the review David, the email was about something else but the link was probably some promotional device for the apartment. after that I take reviews with a pinch of salt

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2021  ·  #12
Me too. As has been said .... you can be quite easily read between the lines, especially if there are numerous reviews

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2021  ·  #13
We had a holiday let in Belfast listed on TripAdvisor and had over 200 reviews. Each review was from someone who had stayed. I dont think a review can be left if you havnt visited

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2021  ·  #14
Quote by TommyS

We had a holiday let in Belfast listed on TripAdvisor and had over 200 reviews. Each review was from someone who had stayed. I dont think a review can be left if you havnt visited

in our case it was the owners that put up the review, they probably said we stayed there, Tommy

Liked by: TommyS

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.03.2021  ·  #15
Quote by TommyS

Most people wouldn’t bother to write a review of a business if they have not used their business but there are some malicious people out there who will write a negative review without using that business and equally there are businesses that bolster their ratings by writing false reviews and getting friends and family to do the same. I can pm you the link to the campsite I wrote about and if you look at their most recent trip advisor and google reviews you will see what I mean.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.03.2021  ·  #16
My recollection was that I was told I had a review and it woukd be posted when it was confirmed the people had stayed. It was a couple of years ago so brain might be a bit fuzzy

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.03.2021  ·  #17
Quote by TommyS

My recollection was that I was told I had a review and it woukd be posted when it was confirmed the people had stayed. It was a couple of years ago so brain might be a bit fuzzy

Unfortunately anyone can write a review without even availing of the service or business, with trip advisor the reviewer is asked the date of their stay but people can and do make it up.

I have been in touch with woodlands over their malicious reviews.
Check woodlands Tralee and look at their most recent review on trip advisor and google.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2021  ·  #18
Update, the review is no longer on Tripadvisor this maybe because the campsite reported the review to Tripadvisor and Tripadvisor removed it.
After all the review was not about their camping experience. The original review was all about admitting they had trespassed and being annoyed at the way they were spoken to by a person on the campsite who told them to leave.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2021  ·  #19
ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2021  ·  #20

Update, the review is no longer on Tripadvisor this maybe because the campsite reported the review to Tripadvisor and Tripadvisor removed it.
After all the review was not about their camping experience. The original review was all about admitting they had trespassed and being annoyed at the way they were spoken to by a person on the campsite who told them to leave.

Motormouths are never hard to find and the gob that wrote that review probably would not know what a camping experience was.
He was just willing to trash the owners regardless of the outcome towards their business.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.