Nightmare

mudflat pete
Subject:

Nightmare

· 
Posted: 19.02.2021  ·  #1
Hi all, bought a 1996 Fiat ducato in september 2020 with fresh cvrt from July, small mileage, needed a bit of tlc etc but thats doable. Went in for the CVRT and got a major surprise, lots of work needed. I'm in East Cork, can anyone recommend someone to do repairs? Here's the CVRT Report

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

Re: Nightmare

· 
Posted: 19.02.2021  ·  #2
Just asking but if you bought a vehicle with a fresh cvrt from July 2020 why have you gone in for a new cvrt in February 2021?

mudflat pete
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2021  ·  #3
I think the other one was backdated, it says july 2020 on it anyway

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2021  ·  #4
I’d be most worried about the identification plates missing. How did it get through in September without these. Are you sure that cvrt is for your vehicle. I guess it has the same registration number, but any motor factors will make you a plate

Liked by: GMAC, ntg

mudflat pete
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2021  ·  #5
As regards the test date, It was last july that it was tested, just thought I'd get a new test on it.

I don't know what is going on with it, surely the crowd that tested it last would of flagged the issue with the chassis number

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2021  ·  #6
Yes they would have...... if they tested the same vehicle

Liked by: GMAC, ntg

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2021  ·  #7
Why did you want a test in February if it was tested in September. Did you have concerns?? I’d be inclined to go to the previous test centre, and ask how/ why they passed it with all these defects. They didn’t all occur in the last 6 months

Liked by: GMAC

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2021  ·  #8
Quote by mudflat pete

As regards the test date, It was last july that it was tested, just thought I'd get a new test on it.

I don't know what is going on with it, surely the crowd that tested it last would of flagged the issue with the chassis number

You need to get back to the source that you purchased from,there are a lot of factors that are not what you would expect of a vehicle with a recent vcrt.

Liked by: GMAC

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2021  ·  #9
As Daffy and Norman have said something doesn't seem right. I couldn't see van needing that amount of work having passed in July and especially last year with little chance for usage with Covid.

mudflat pete
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2021  ·  #10
Lads, I don't know what is going on, as ye said all the problems in a few months, something seriously fishy going on here. It was a private sale but what sort of come back do I have? Just decided to get it tested and this is the outcome, it's heart breaking to be honest.

Back to the original question, anyone in East Cork recommended?

mudflat pete
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2021  ·  #11
Quote by ntg

Quote by mudflat pete

You need to get back to the source that you purchased from,there are a lot of factors that are not what you would expect of a vehicle with a recent vcrt.

Going to ring them tomorrow to see what they say

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2021  ·  #12
There is no comeback with a private sale AFAIK. No liability. Not for defects. But if it was me I would try talking to them anyway. The missing VIN is a bit of a red flag. And I would want to be talking to them test Centre who conducted the previous test and showing them the current test results.

mudflat pete
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2021  ·  #13
Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. I'll let ye know what the outcome is

Liked by: The Rambler

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2021  ·  #14
For the repairs try Camper World in Midleton. Looking at the list of fails expect a substantial bill.
The CVRT doesn't check for water ingress damage, if present that could add seriously to the final cost.

Liked by: mudflat pete

mudflat pete
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2021  ·  #15
Thanks baguette, will look at them

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Nightmare

· 
Posted: 19.02.2021  ·  #16
I would think you have a serious case of simple fraud.
If the identification is wrong now, how did it get passed in July.
There is no way all that stuff could have worn out in 6 months ( did you even use it since you bought it?)
Compare the mileage that was on the 2020 test. And now
Go to the test centre that did the July test and ask for an explanation, and bring a witness, If you can't go to it, get in touch and make sure you record the conversion.
Send the two test reports to the RSA for an explanation also.
Bring both of the to your local Garda station and make a formal complaint against the test centre and the seller.
Copy everything you do to the seller.
If need be, pay an SQI to give you a report on the vehicle and the likelihood of all that wearing out in 6 months and the mileage done since the July test .
Consider taking the guy to the courts

Liked by: baguette, Mark&Wendy

mudflat pete
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2021  ·  #17
Thanks for that sprinter.

Had a look today and found the chassis number on the passenger side under a strip of rubber, it corresponds with the log book number so that's good. Also there's a plate under the bonnet with the same number, I presume that CVRT tester couldn't find the one in the cab and that's why item 0 on the report failed. The one under the bonnet is very visible.

Liked by: +deleted user

oldautotrailer
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: autohomes windfall
Base Vehicle: 1999 peugeot boxer 1.9td
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2021  ·  #18
first thing to do is not to panic! it might have been more than 12 months out of test at the last test which means they will only issue you with a 6 month cert, while a long list like that looks bad the first lot with the brake issue might be from lack of use (lockdown) the id plate was just layziness on tester half,the rest can be sorted easy enough, best of luck

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2021  ·  #19
Quote by mudflat pete

Had a look today and found the chassis number on the passenger side under a strip of rubber, it corresponds with the log book number so that's good. Also there's a plate under the bonnet with the same number, I presume that CVRT tester couldn't find the one in the cab and that's why item 0 on the report failed. The one under the bonnet is very visible.

Would this be where you found it.?
Where is the VIN number on a Fiat Ducato?
In most cases the chassis number will be etched on the windscreen. Engine Bay - You will also find your chassis number on a silver plaque in the engine bay. Footwell - The chassis number will also appear under a small flap in the drivers side footwell. This is located near the seat.

mudflat pete
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2021  ·  #20
Quote by oldautotrailer

first thing to do is not to panic! it might have been more than 12 months out of test at the last test which means they will only issue you with a 6 month cert, while a long list like that looks bad the first lot with the brake issue might be from lack of use (lockdown) the id plate was just layziness on tester half,the rest can be sorted easy enough, best of luck

Panic was the initial reaction but I've calmed down since and looked at it step by step, not too bad now thank feck! Now I have to get someone to do the job.

mudflat pete
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2021  ·  #21
Quote by sprinter

Quote by mudflat pete

Would this be where you found it.?
Where is the VIN number on a Fiat Ducato?
In most cases the chassis number will be etched on the windscreen. Engine Bay - You will also find your chassis number on a silver plaque in the engine bay. Footwell - The chassis number will also appear under a small flap in the drivers side footwell. This is located near the seat.

Found on the passenger side next to the seat by the door, left hand drive

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.02.2021  ·  #22
with the chassis number red flag sorted, the rest will be all do-able...keep the faith. In my experience CVRT centers give some sensationally OTT MH fail sheets (yes I know they want safe vans on the road), but they test MH with rigorous standards like commercial vehicles that will do 40K miles per year...not 6K. YOU WILL BE ON THE ROAD SOON...:)

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.02.2021  ·  #23
Quote by Hymer544

they test MH with rigorous standards like commercial vehicles that will do 40K miles per year...not 6K. YOU WILL BE ON THE ROAD SOON...:)

Yes, But on the other hand most commercial vehicles are under 10 years old, not like Motorhomes where you have 30 year olds still on the road and many are absolute rust buckets that were pulled out from under the bushes last year when prices rose. Before ye Lynch me, I know there is some very sound oldies out there too that have been very well looked after.by caring owners.

Liked by: sprinter

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.02.2021  ·  #24
Quote by Hymer544

............... but they test MH with rigorous standards like commercial vehicles that will do 40K miles per year...not 6K. YOU WILL BE ON THE ROAD SOON...:)

That's a bit of an understatement considering the test a 3.85t motorhome the same as a 36t HGV which could be doing 400,000 km per year

Liked by: eirebus

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Nightmare

· 
Posted: 24.02.2021  ·  #25
what really gets me is How can a vehicle that has passed all the break test including the parking.
Then be given a FAIL DANGEROUS DO NOT DRIVE ON THE PUBLIC ROAD.
(Transport to a garage and then retest)
because the "professional tester" can't see the minimum wear indicator in trough the holes in the wheels.
Is that what the holes were designed for ? I think Not.

mudflat pete
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.03.2021  ·  #26
Thanks for all the replies lads, didnt realise there were more since my last post.

Got all the work done, cost 2200 in the end, gutted!

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.03.2021  ·  #27
Good to hear the final outcome. Expensive... but now you have everything sorted, you can enjoy it when we get on the move again.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.03.2021  ·  #28
Quote by mudflat pete

Thanks for all the replies lads, didnt realise there were more since my last post.

Got all the work done, cost 2200 in the end, gutted!

Good to hear your ready to go again

mudflat pete
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.03.2021  ·  #29
Didn't put it through the test yet, just got it back last week. Will report back, thanks lads

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.03.2021  ·  #30
Quote by mudflat pete

Didn't put it through the test yet, just got it back last week. Will report back, thanks lads

Forget about the nightmare and look forward to getting out and enjoying it when the country opens up again.
Onwards and upwards 👍.

mudflat pete
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.03.2021  ·  #31
Will do, same to you

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.