Newbie - what to watch out for??

Looking for a motor home

keefbeef

Subject:

Newbie - what to watch out for??

· 
Posted: 09.11.2011  ·  #1
Hi everyone,
Just registered as I am thinking of buying a motor home for the family (3 boys under 5), as I think it would be a good chance to get away at the weekends.

Don't have much money to splash, around £2k-£4k. I have been looking in Gumtree, and see various motorhomes in this range, but obviously they have had a good run-big mileage. Examples include a Fiat Decato or Talbot Express Merlin. I'm not to worried about mechanical issues as I can turn my hand to that if necessary, but if availability of parts is an issue - there isn't much that you can do.

I also notice that most are petrol. I'm sure the running costs of such old vehicles can be high.

I suppose what I am really asking is : are motor homes at this level just money boxes on wheels and a waste of money - or if you get a good one - well worth having.

Also interested to hear your views if a motor home a good investment for such young family. I remember touring ireland with my mum and dad and it was great craic - different place every day - but not too sure if there are the child oriented camp sites available as much now.

Any pointers and tips will be gratefully received!

Keith

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Newbie - what to watch out for??

· 
Posted: 09.11.2011  ·  #2
Hi Keith, welcome to craic!

I am new to Motorhoming myself so can't offer much advice but I would say, any you go to see try them out for size, sit in them, make the beds up, bring the kids with you. Get everyone in it, may sound daft but whilst everyone is in it, do things that you would will be doing when you are away in it. Pretend to use the toilet, do the dishes etc - that's the only way you will know if it's right for you.

Remember - LAYOUT LAYOUT LAYOUT :-)

There is quite a few good ones at that money, if they have been looked after, a lot of them are low mileage so worth buying.

Hope that helps but I'm sure the more knowledgeable owners will be along shortly :)

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

motorhome for kids

· 
Posted: 09.11.2011  ·  #3
We found the motorhome was brilliant for our boys, they learnt a lot about making friends, history geography and the countryside. I would have come home from work and off we went, with the boys doing eny meny to decide which direction at each road juntion, even we were only somewhere local it was still away for them, the best holidays we had with the children was in the motorhome,the only regret I have was that did not find a way to get one sooner, the boys were 4 and 7, we often went to motorhome dealers and felt very poor indeed. our first motorhome was £5,000 and we went a half share with a friend, that got us started and we then bought a Kontiki needing some work, we went to the Med and back no issues and it had 80 thousand miles on the clock. we later sold that and then bought a new one on our way to Croatia the back brake locked on and destroyed the tyre, leaving me no option but drive to Croatia and back with no spare, so much for a new van.
I think you might need to look at a bigger budget to get a suitable motorhome for a family, we found the best layout was a overcab bed with a centre kitchen and dinett and rear u shape lounge but there is no perfect motorhome and there is always a compromise, when you see the motorhome you want you will know, if you smell any damp walk away as it will be expensive to repair, our boys never come in the motorhome now they have there own things to do, so time is much shorter than you think and before you know they will be grown up.
One thing you can be sure of the kids will have a ball, I know they can be expensive to hire but it would give you a feel for it. Hope this if some help

digger
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Mirage 6000
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2011  ·  #4
Hi Keith, welcome.
I have a 1989 talbot Merlin 73k miles. It has a 2.5D engine and does about 30 mpg. Old vans are not necessarily a money bucket. Mine was MOTd last month, with no problem. Cost me £180 for annual service and mot prep. I think that most vans are well looked after by their owners but there is certainly some scrap on the market. I looked at a few before I bought and didnt need to be an expert to know when to walk away.
Mine is a 4 berth and would be a bit small for your family, I find it great for 2 adults, but I have had my two granddaughters away for the weekend and its ok.
If you are in the Bangor area anytime you are welcome to have a look at mine. Might give you an idea of what you can buy on a limited budget.
Brian

keefbeef

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2011  ·  #5
Many thanks for all the replies so far. At the back of my mind is that kids grow fast and should I just give it go. I'll continue to keep an eye out for good options and hopefully something will come along that a suitable. Excellent idea to bring everyone, but it would probably be a little to much for any prospective seller to allow us a free night stay! Thanks digger for the offer to look you up. Much appreciate and I might just take you up on it. I had never even consider the option of going to europe in the Motorhome, but that just shows you what options you have.

I look forward to any further comments!!

Keith

Bronagh
Benny Hill Wannabe
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2011  ·  #6
Hi Keith! Welcome to the Craic! Just to let you know we are newbies ourselves, we got our lovely Motorhome in August, on a limited budget too. But the funny thing was after we set our budget we looked at a load but the one we got was the lowest price of the lot of them cos it just felt right for us! Its a 93 Karmann, the same layout as Willies one, there is just the two of us(and the dog of course) so it doesn't feel crowded ever. We didn't think about going abroad with it until the lads on here convinced me it would be grand! Best of luck with the search!!!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.