baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Ducato X244 Oil Leak

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #1
A few years ago the crankshaft front (pully end) oil seal started to leak a bit. Last summer when getting a timing belt change I also got a new oil seal fitted, but the leak continued :-/
I examined the old seal and it looked in quite a good condition so I started checking various forums about the issue.
I found there was a consensus of opinion that many 2.8 engines started leaking because the 5W-30 Synthetic oil recommended for the later X250 (2007 onwards) was being used when older X244 (pre-2007) models were being serviced, instead of the 10W-40 Semi-synthetic recommended for those engines.
It was said that the thinner oil was able to leak through the seals in the older engines.
Recently I got the oil and filter changed specifying 10W-40 Semi-synthetic as recommended in the handbook for normal climates ( 5W-30 is recommended for extreme cold climate operating).
Hey presto, the oil leak has stopped, more or less, I no longer have a little oil patch on the driveway.

So, if you have a pre-2007 Ducato base motorhome which is leaking a drop of oil, before going to the trouble and expense of replacing seals do check that the correct 10W-40 semi-synthetic oil has been used when last serviced.
Save yourself a bundle too, 10W-40 semi-synthetic is roughly one third the price of the 5W-30 synthetic stuff.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

Re: Ducato X244 Oil Leak

· 
Posted: 03.02.2021  ·  #2
Good stuff. I got an auto supplier to recommend the right oil for mine (1998 Ducato). Still leaked until I got the oil sump replaced which was showing its age. Surprisingly cheap thing to buy and replace.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2021  ·  #3
I always used 10w 40 in my pre 07 vans and never had a problem, good advice Colin

Liked by: adria, baguette

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2021  ·  #4
Up until a couple of years ago, my mh was always serviced by a main dealer, either FIAT or Rapido.
Perhaps with most motorhomes now being newer than 2007, for the sake of simplicity, they only keep the oil (5W-30) recommended for post-2007 models and use that too for older models.
As often said, it is always a good idea to RTFM or RTFI :P

Liked by: johnnymac, sprinter

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.