Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Hobby Premium Drive 70GE for sale

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #1
I have had my C1 licence taken from me because of a health problem, so now I must reluctantly sell our fabulous van. I've tried to find a fair price for her but there isn't a single van of the same model for sale anywhere in the UK. I don't imagine it would be much under £45k. 2014 and 69K miles. One very careful owner from new, fsh mechanical and habitation. This is the same as[url=

] mine [/url]almost, different fabric and a year younger.

Liked by: Smilgy

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: Hobby Premium Drive 70GE for sale

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #2
Such a shame.
Would it be practical to get it down-plated to 3,500kg GVW so you could continue to use it on a B licence?

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #3
kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #4
JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #5
So sorry to hear this news Nick. I hope you sell quickly, it’s a beautiful van having seen it first hand.
Have you looked at any 3500kg vans that you like? I’d imagine your van would trade in very well as it is a desirable marque.

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #6
Such a lovely Motorhome, I suppose the big question is are you still in love with her and very happy to drive etc
If you change to a smaller van would you be happy because whatever you choose is not going to be the same and is going to cost you more than downplating.
Not that I know as I drive a PVC so have you had a look at SvTech I do know someone who had one downplated for same reasons as you are looking and said it was very simple worth a read at least
http://www.svtech.co.uk/our-services/downplating/
David

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #7
Quote by baguette

Such a shame.
Would it be practical to get it down-plated to 3,500kg GVW so you could continue to use it on a B licence?

I doubt it, we weighed it empty, around six years ago and she was 3.20 t.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #8
Quote by heanorboy

Such a lovely Motorhome, I suppose the big question is are you still in love with her and very happy to drive etc
If you change to a smaller van would you be happy because whatever you choose is not going to be the same and is going to cost you more than downplating.
Not that I know as I drive a PVC so have you had a look at SvTech I do know someone who had one downplated for same reasons as you are looking and said it was very simple worth a read at least
http://www.svtech.co.uk/our-services/downplating/
David

Thanks for that, it won't harm to have a look. I read some comments about them last year, all favourable, but never thought I might need their services.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #9
Quote by kabundi

http://www.dicklanemotorhomes….e-2014.pdf

This shows a payload of 329kg on a 3500kg GVW

I've noticed that on some other models and could never figure out how there could be such a difference in weights. Chassis? Build materials? Mine is plated 4.25 and weighs 3.20 empty.
I was really surprised that a year younger one than mine went for £39.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #10
Quote by Helgahobby

Quote by kabundi

I've noticed that on some other models and could never figure out how there could be such a difference in weights. Chassis? Build materials? Mine is plated 4.25 and weighs 3.20 empty.

If empty 3200 kg means no water, people, gas bottles, fuel or any contents then you have no chance of making it work at 3500kg.

The one I referred to at a payload of 329kg quotes what is included below the table. Working back it would be under 3000kg ‘empty’.

However you have weighed yours so the weight quoted in the brochure is irrelevant

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #11
In the ADAC magazine a few years ago there was an article about overweight motorhomes (very common)
In the article, they mentioned that up to 5% overweight was ignored by the police and you can go on your way without having to reduce the load.
5% > 10% was a fixed fine, over 10% > 15% a bigger fine over 15% bigger fine plus penalty points. If over the 5% excess load must be removed at the checkpoint to bring the vehicle back to its plated GVW.
CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS
Going on the above a 3,500kg GVW running at 3,675kg wouldn't cause problems. although I don't know the policy of the PSNI or UK police services.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #12
Quote by kabundi

Quote by Helgahobby

Quote by kabundi

If empty 3200 kg means no water, people, gas bottles, fuel or any contents then you have no chance of making it work at 3500kg.

The one I referred to at a payload of 329kg quotes what is included below the table. Working back it would be under 3000kg ‘empty’.

However you have weighed yours so the weight quoted in the brochure is irrelevant

Well thats what I said. Why is mine plated at 4.25 and some of the other models 3.50. The plate is correct according to the public weigh bridge. For me, life is way too short to look into what another van may weigh with all the equipment defined in the brochure.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #13
IN effect there is no difference most converters will now make the MAM 3500kg or less so that it makes it available to more drivers and a lot could be uprated by a couple of hundred kgs or so. I see that the 3500kg version comes with 329kg which is about standard these days and bears out what you have found, dont forget anything fixed e.g. awning, Sat Dish, towbar, gas bottles added all weigh quite a bit to you empty van and so 300kg for persons and personal goods I feel is still good.

Its what you want/need to take and I think that depends on each person what they perceive they want, for example we have friends who bring out massive padded chairs which between them weigh over 50kgs more than the in a bag type we use. Not saying who is right or wrong, I have no idea what you take but getting it down to below 300kg should not be a problem for non fixed items and that is all you are talking about (including passengers), even if you decided to downsize you might be in the same position as you will have less room to store stuff in a smaller van,
IF you would prefer to keep your lovely van why dont you fully load her and get her down to the weighbridge again and with all passengers in half full water tank get her weight again you might find it easy to put her on a diet by looking at what you take.

So having waffled on still really depends on how much you want to keep her.

Would not like to be in your shoes so best of luck hope to meet up if we ever get over again
David :happy: <_<

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #14
Quote by Helgahobby

Quote by baguette

Such a shame.

I doubt it, we weighed it empty, around six years ago and she was 3.20 t.

Lighter than most coach built MoHo's plated at 3500kgs since the turn of the century then

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #15
Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2021  ·  #16
My thoughts exactly ntg. I winged it for years with overweight Hgv s and tugged once near Stranraer. The officer asked me what my load weight was and as it was a mixed load of winches and drums with no tare weight I said at a guesstimate I was carrying around 10 tonne.
To say he was not impressed is an understatement!
He took me to the bridge and I was 10.5t so well under my 18t limit, he then set the terriers on me and went through everything for an hour and the found that one of the u bolts on the trailer axle were not up to tension but not loose. Allowed to proceed but had to re test the trailer within 10 days.
So bottom line I wouldn’t worry about being a little over the limit tho I read of instances where the French police have a habit of weighing motorhomes, easy money in my eyes

Liked by: ntg, panda, sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Hobby Premium Drive 70GE for sale

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #17
I came across this company this morning might be worthwhile to give them a call. this from their advert.
We have replated several camper vans recently where the vehicle length or GVW ( Gross Vehicle Weight ) etc. did not match the vehicle for various reasons.

Pro Assess Vehicle Solutions Ltd.
CRO Number: 599240
Registered address:
Dungimmin Lower, Mount Nugent, Co. Cavan
Contact
086 833 8576
info@proassess.

Liked by: Helgahobby

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #18
Quote by sprinter

I came across this company this morning might be worthwhile to give them a call. this from their advert.
We have replated several camper vans recently where the vehicle length or GVW ( Gross Vehicle Weight ) etc. did not match the vehicle for various reasons.

Pro Assess Vehicle Solutions Ltd.
CRO Number: 599240
Registered address:
Dungimmin Lower, Mount Nugent, Co. Cavan
Contact
086 833 8576
info@proassess.

I've spoken with the owner Joseph Nulty a few times and he seems a very sound guy. Well worth a call.

petereire
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: autoquest 270
Base Vehicle: Talbot express
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #19
i would search all reasons and ways to keep your hobby as it prob took you a long time to find the right van for you, so take the same amount of time before you change it,sorry just a thought :)

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #20
Just a thought Nick,

Why not weigh it now with what you usually bring when away, if slightly over the 3500kgs see if you can get it under the 3500KGS,

Down plating is a paper exercise and done without modifications from what I hear,

Might save you a lot of Hassel changing vans etc,

Good luck which ever you do,

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #21
There are occasions when ordering a new van that you can specify a heavy chassis which is if I remember right 4.2t, this may be the case with Nicks van, it may be fitted with a heavy chassis and probably can’t get down to 3.5t .

Most heavy chassis based Motorhomes come with 16” wheels while a lot of the 3.5t ones are on 15” wheels

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2021  ·  #22
There are two Ducato chassis, Maxi and standard, The Maxi is rated up to 4250kg and the standard is 3500kg.
This is probably where the difference is, FYI the wheel PCD between the two chassis is different. Standard is 5x 118, Maxi is 5x 130

Liked by: Ben/Ber, JettaJohn

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #23
Quote by ntg

Does anybody really know of a motorhomer that has been stopped by police and then taken to a weighbridge and weighed?
I certainly do not know of anyone.

I was more anxious about insurance cover. Surely if I don't have C1 for driving over 3.5 t, it's the same as driving unaccompanied as a learner driver??? No licence no insurance surely.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #24
Quote by petereire

i would search all reasons and ways to keep your hobby as it prob took you a long time to find the right van for you, so take the same amount of time before you change it,sorry just a thought :)

Yes thanks for that. I've decided not to sell! Plans for this year, if they ever get off the ground have to be altered, but probably no great hardship. I'm also going down the repeating road as suggested, but with the van virtually empty! With any luck I'll get my C1 back in August.

Liked by: petereire

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #25
Quote by Bounder

There are two Ducato chassis, Maxi and standard, The Maxi is rated up to 4250kg and the standard is 3500kg.
This is probably where the difference is, FYI the wheel PCD between the two chassis is different. Standard is 5x 118, Maxi is 5x 130

Sadly I've no idea what, Standard is 5x 118, Maxi is 5x 130 means. Can you enlighten me please? I do have 16 inch wheels though.

Liked by: eirebus

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #26
Quote by Helgahobby

Quote by Bounder

Sadly I've no idea what, Standard is 5x 118, Maxi is 5x 130 means. Can you enlighten me please? I do have 16 inch wheels though.

PCD is Pitch Circle Diameter, the diameter of an imaginary circle drawn through the centre of the wheel nuts.
These vans have 5 studs so they are 5 x and the circle can be two sizes 118mm or 130mm on the maxi chassis.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2021  ·  #27
The diameter of the hole in the centre of the wheel will tell you.

If it is approx 71 mm then you have 5x118 wheels

If it is approx 78 mm then you have 5x130 wheels

These dimensions are also the distances between the centres of 2 adjacent studs for the two wheel types

Liked by: Helgahobby, sprinter

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.