baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Is the end of the Satellite Dish nigh

· 
Posted: 12.01.2021  ·  #1
Last week I got a call from a friendly Vodafone agent who told me of great things for me if I renewed my contract for another 12 months.
Central to his offering for my €30 per month subscription was unlimited texts and calls to all networks Europe wide and 100 minutes and texts to the rest of the world.
But the bit which drew my attention was unlimited data Europe wide. Wondering about the infamous data caps, as you do, I asked is the amount of data limited when roaming out of my home country. The answer was an unequivocal NO, the nice chap even went on to describe how I could hot-spot from my phone to my smart tv (which I don't have in the mh) to watch streamed content like Netflix and TV player content as much as I wished at no extra cost (data charge) and at 5G speeds if available.

So, with the advent of unlimited highspeed data becoming available while I roam around Europe do I really need a satellite dish anymore.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Is the end of the Satellite Dish nigh

· 
Posted: 12.01.2021  ·  #2
The trend is very strongly moving towards on demand content rather than scheduled broadcasting so in that sense satellite tv will diminish in scale and maybe even disappear in time. The satelites will probably start to carry data instead, the 5G spectrum was freed up by shutting down the old analogue TV transmission network, so in a sense, that's already happened with terrestrial TV.

Charges for calls and texts are also becoming a thing of the past. Vodafones USP is really for roaming where you carry your full data allocation across Europe, all other networks cap roaming data even on unlimited data plans, but €30 per month for SIM only is more than 3x the price of some other offers so you'd really need to value the roaming and international calls.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2021  ·  #3
I've the basic Sky package simply for Irish TV while away. Now with unlimited data I can dump the Sky package and view the Irish TV I want via mobile data connection. While at home I've Saorview to watch any Irish TV I want.
The savings from the dumped Sky will more than cover my Vodafone subscription.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2021  ·  #4
Think your right Colin, the trend is towards the streaming format and I don’t think we shall see as much development or investment in the satellite platform in the future, at least not in the European context.

That’s a good deal Vodafone is offering if you are using the international roaming and the overseas calls, does it entitle you to a discounted handset or is it a sim only deal? I’ve just moved over to 48.ie and get 100gb a month, (10gb roaming) unlimited calls and unlimited texts for €7.99 per month on a 30 day rolling contract but no international mins/texts.... it’s OK but data is light on the European front.

Seems there is more and more deals coming from the various providers which is good to see and offers the punters a good selection.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2021  ·  #5
Quote by JJF

Think your right Colin, the trend is towards the streaming format and I don’t think we shall see as much development or investment in the satellite platform in the future, at least not in the European context.

That’s a good deal Vodafone is offering if you are using the international roaming and the overseas calls, does it entitle you to a discounted handset or is it a sim only deal? I’ve just moved over to 48.ie and get 100gb a month, (10gb roaming) unlimited calls and unlimited texts for €7.99 per month on a 30 day rolling contract but no international mins/texts.... it’s OK but data is light on the European front.

Seems there is more and more deals coming from the various providers which is good to see and offers the punters a good selection.

It's SIM only. I'd never go for a deal with a handset, you generally end up paying a lot more than buying your own outright.

Liked by: JJF, johnnymac

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2021  ·  #6
I had a problem with the dish on the van a while ago and the thought did cross my mind, why have I got that big yoke on the roof when I could have a small Internet aerial

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2021  ·  #7
Well I certainly wouldn’t remove it, when it’s there. There are still plenty of places where Internet signal is poor. Especially if you like wild parking in the boonies. Nothing as bad as a show/ match freezing, or buffering constantly. Drives me mad. I’ll be sticking with my dish for the foreseeable future

Liked by: The Rambler

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2021  ·  #8
whats the boonies

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2021  ·  #9
Quote by relay racer

whats the boonies

Out in the sticks. Middle of nowhere 😁

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2021  ·  #10
Quote by Daffysparks

Well I certainly wouldn’t remove it, when it’s there. . I’ll be sticking with my dish for the foreseeable future

Have no intention of removing it, but maybe next van will need a rethink, Sat signal not available everywhere either, try the Scottish mountains or Southern France etc

Liked by: +deleted user

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2021  ·  #11
If you are on top of the mountain, you would be fine 😂.
Absolutely, nothing is 100% guaranteed.
However there is quite a few places we go to, in Ireland, and the phone/ internet is shite, but we can get satellite perfectly. The more options the better

Liked by: eirebus

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2021  ·  #12
While the future is OTT, Satellite and terrestrial reception is worth holding on to if you have it. Streaming still means VOD for the most part. There are times you can’t connect and times when you just want random live TV such as news channels on in the background.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2021  ·  #13
You’re right Jason.
I won’t be getting rid of the dish in a hurry...... just yet !

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2021  ·  #14
A few Memory sticks loaded to the gills with movies and whatever ya like yerself are always a good thing to have in the van :up:

Liked by: eirebus, Paul mcg, sprinter, The Rambler, TommyS, +deleted user

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2021  ·  #15
Don't be spending money on smart tvs, buy an unexpansive chrome cast or roku stick and that'll be the best solution.

Liked by: baguette, johnnymac

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2021  ·  #16
When we changed the van we thought about putting another sat system on and when we really thought about it we rarely used tv so just went with an aerial

Liked by: panda, Paul mcg, TommyS

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2022  ·  #17
It now looks like there is only another five or six years left before satellite dishes are consigned to the metal recycling bin
▶ State of play: Broadcast TV switch-off
The current fleet of satellites serving Sky and Freesat come to the end of their life between 2027 and 2029. Sky’s contract with the satellite operator SES expires in 2028.

Read about it Here

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.12.2022  ·  #18
As an update to my previous post on this, when we changed the van, again, after I posted that about an aerial, we decided not to even have an aerial fitted as we now primarily stream through netflix/amazon etc. I really think the time of dishes on vans is really numbered.

Liked by: eirebus, ntg

fork
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.12.2022  ·  #19
Our van came with a dish on it and we used it a good bit at the start, but one time in the carpark of Disney land paris,it refused to park itself because of low voltage.
Google said to get a ladder and a set of allen keys and drop it manually,
I had the allen keys but what about a bloody ladder!!
Thankfully it parked itself after trying it the following day.
That was back in the day of low data packages.
Now we have a firestick with Netflix.

We use the aeriel below for our terrestrial channels. The base is magnetic.
I put a small metal plate on the roof over the hab door and just reach up with the aerial and attach it when stopped.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pr…Q4A9&psc=1

A couple of dvds just in case one of the above doesn't work.. Hasn't happened yet.

If a van came with one, fair enough but no way would I buy one

fork
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.12.2022  ·  #20
Just to add to the above, as regards a firestick for netflix, lots of people upgrade to a newer model of firestick such as the 4k one for their home entertainment The older ones, especially the second generation on, are perfect for campervans.
Ask your friends if they have an old one lying around!.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.