Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Bored, designing and making.

· 
Posted: 03.12.2020  ·  #1
Over the past few weeks we’ve been in and out of hospitals for routine stuff and with it comes the inevitable waiting, and waiting......... and waiting!
So, not to get bored too much my mind goes into thinking mode !
Our heating system at home can be controlled remotely via an app on the phone, we can turn heating on/off, set timers, control zones etc so long as we have 3G/4G WiFi from anywhere..... very handy to be able to do so remotely if we’re away from home and returning etc. I built it years ago using a raspberry pi and sensors and a multiple relay board.
Stuff available now out of the box to do it, but not back then...... the sonoff range being particularly interesting which I’ve worked with, but it’s predominantly 240vAC.

So, can I do it with the heating in the van?.... not so easy being restricted to 12vDC and wanting to control it via an SMS module if no internet available in van.
So, Plans drew up using the multi-output module from gsm-uk and thru a raspberry pi monitoring and controlling temperature and on/off state and switching a relay board accordingly.
Assembled it up over the past few weeks an have it sort of tweaked and working but temperature reporting not yet sorted.... but will get there. Draw on standby is 15mA and in use is from 30mA to 70mA, so a very acceptable current draw.
Interesting project that has a way to go but proves it can be done for about €30 and means that the heating can be controlled remotely. It should be possible to bring in water heater remotely too as one relay is still surplus, but that’s another day !

It’s bringing out my ‘Dilbert’ side 🤣

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Re: Bored, designing and making.

· 
Posted: 03.12.2020  ·  #2
So after all that, it means you can fire up the heating 10 minutes before getting back to your van?

. . . 🤔. Cool!

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2020  ·  #3
Aye, or an hour or two.....
It was more to see if it could be done, will be handy though.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2020  ·  #4
Well.... can you ?? NO 😬

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2020  ·  #5
Tbh Jon there is a ready made system that will do that, all you need different to a home system is an inverter. Not nearly as much fun as building your own though.
Not many could do that. Good on you

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2020  ·  #6
No really Jon, that kind of tinkering is how cool stuff is born. It will eventually be rolled out en- masse, if Truma are watching.

Liked by: eirebus

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2020  ·  #7
Yeah, the sonoff pro could do it but running an inverter, even on standby would probably be a current draw in excess of an amp David. Would also require internet to operate. Wanted to do it without internet and low current draw and also monitor and set temperature. The pi, while old tech now is astonishing what can be done with it and I’m a real novice besides the real builders/programmers. As you stated, more fun building and doing it, more to see if it could be done..... it can and more besides.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2020  ·  #8
Quote by JJF

Over the past few weeks we’ve been in and out of hospitals for routine stuff and with it comes the inevitable waiting, and waiting......... and waiting!
So, not to get bored too much my mind goes into thinking mode !
Our heating system at home can be controlled remotely via an app on the phone, we can turn heating on/off, set timers, control zones etc so long as we have 3G/4G WiFi from anywhere..... very handy to be able to do so remotely if we’re away from home and returning etc. I built it years ago using a raspberry pi and sensors and a multiple relay board.
Stuff available now out of the box to do it, but not back then...... the sonoff range being particularly interesting which I’ve worked with, but it’s predominantly 240vAC.

So, can I do it with the heating in the van?.... not so easy being restricted to 12vDC and wanting to control it via an SMS module if no internet available in van.
So, Plans drew up using the multi-output module from gsm-uk and thru a raspberry pi monitoring and controlling temperature and on/off state and switching a relay board accordingly.
Assembled it up over the past few weeks an have it sort of tweaked and working but temperature reporting not yet sorted.... but will get there. Draw on standby is 15mA and in use is from 30mA to 70mA, so a very acceptable current draw.
Interesting project that has a way to go but proves it can be done for about €30 and means that the heating can be controlled remotely. It should be possible to bring in water heater remotely too as one relay is still surplus, but that’s another day !
It’s bringing out my ‘Dilbert’ side 🤣

WOW!!! ....In the words of that judge on the dancing program
AAA...MAZE...ING😅
I was lost after "Our heating system". How do you know all that stuff Jon???

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2020  ·  #9
Quote by The Rambler

No really Jon, that kind of tinkering is how cool stuff is born. It will eventually be rolled out en- masse, if Truma are watching.

They have already Jason, it’s what got me thinking !.... but I don’t have their budget.. 🤣

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2020  ·  #10
I was thinking more along the lines of Climote. It uses a SIM card to operate. Full functionality. They must bring down mains voltage for sim, so if you remove that, you are up and away. No internet required, just edge at worst. Have it at home. Often thought... this might work, but too busy/ lazy, to ever try adapt it.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2020  ·  #11
sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Bored, designing and making.

· 
Posted: 04.12.2020  ·  #12
Quote by JJF

Will take a look at that.
Then I’ll go and swear at you for not telling me beforehand 😂

we better not tell you about the method they use to control the Voyger, or you'll be trying to get the motorhome to collect you from the Pub.😁

Liked by: eirebus, GMAC, panda, Paul mcg

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.12.2020  ·  #13
or you'll be trying to get the motorhome to collect you from the Pub

Now that would be the perfect van 😁😁

Liked by: GMAC, panda

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2020  ·  #14
Sorry team, but I'm so far ahead of you all on this one!
Back in the early seventies, my 60's VW Beetle was a mobile fridge on the way to work on Winter mornings. The heating system was basically a pair of cable controlled flaps that diverted air, flowing past the hot cylinder heads, through tubes into the car.
My solution? Pre-warm the interior before I left for work! I had a small camping heater (similar to the butane gas mini blow-torch, but with a circular flame reflector). Each morning, I'd shiver out to the car ten minutes before leaving, fire up the heater (securely fixed against the centre tunnel) then go back in for a quick cuppa.
Obviously I turned it off before the journey (safety first lol!) and drove to work in feeling slightly warmer.
I thought of patenting the idea, but never got around to it.... I could have been a millionaire by now.....

Liked by: GMAC, ntg, panda, sprinter, +deleted user

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2020  ·  #15
Even tho you can get stuff like that of the shelf it’s had to beat making your own plus you can do it at 1/4 the price but it’s the working it out that I like

Liked by: eirebus, GMAC, panda, sprinter

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.