Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

Irish ferry bookings available

· 
Posted: 13.11.2020  ·  #1
Irish ferries seem to have released bookings for the high and shoulder season today. Last week in May through to 3rd October. Looks like they hope to capitalise on people rushing to book. My trip from last year, 16th Aug to 27th September has increased by €200 for the same dates this year. What is even more ridiculous is a trip from end of May to end of June 2 people, 7 metre van and 1 window 2 berth cabin is approx €920. They have upped the deposit to €150 but are giving free flexibility on booking change.

I think I will wait a while.

Davy

Liked by: sprinter

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Irish ferry bookings available

· 
Posted: 13.11.2020  ·  #2
The other half had a look a couple of days ago and they had released dates for January and they were quite expensive for time of year. As you say Davy think I will hold off as well.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.11.2020  ·  #3
Rip off again. They know people are desperate

Liked by: GMAC, ntg, sprinter

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.11.2020  ·  #4
Quote by Daffysparks

Rip off again. They know people are desperate

I really hope that people see this for what it is, let the rip off merchants keep their so called deals.
Enjoy what this great country has to offer,then the better deals will come.

Liked by: daz28, eirebus, GMAC, Stacks, +deleted user

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.11.2020  ·  #5
We should probably stop making enquiries, if they think you're not interested they'll maybe worry and get back to realistic prices

Liked by: baguette, GMAC, johnnymac, liz treanor, ntg, sprinter, +deleted user

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.11.2020  ·  #6
Quote by eirebus

We should probably stop making enquiries, if they think you're not interested they'll maybe worry and get back to realistic prices

Or else start telling them that we are just making enquiries for a laugh.😅😂

Liked by: sprinter, tony glenn, +deleted user

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.11.2020  ·  #7
Just checked. €670 for a trip next September. Think it was to be €480 this year. Even taking off my €100 deposit that they still hold, it will be hard to justify that amount. Think we will hold off also.

I wonder how many deposit they are holding!

Liked by: Edgar, GMAC, sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Irish ferry bookings available

· 
Posted: 14.11.2020  ·  #8
Quote by eirebus

No, take a screenshot when you have the quote in print and send it to the minister for transport and tourism and the competition authority.

Liked by: eirebus, ntg

PG trips
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.11.2020  ·  #9
My daughter travelled back with them in September. Dublin Holyhead in a Fiesta was €270 one way and then they had the cheek to put her on the late PM sailing after her booking 8.00am. The whole travel industry will seek to recoup through hiking prices with pent up demand...let's see how the economy hold ups.

Liked by: ntg

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.11.2020  ·  #10
thats a fact, no doubt

Wolvespaul
Craic'er
My Motorhome: 2004 Adria Adriatik 620sk
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #11
I have also looked at booking a trip for 2021, we had paid the full €1060 for our trip in August, we got a credit note for full amount, I have just been priced €1780 to go end of June.
Can't say I'm too impressed

Liked by: Mark&Wendy, sprinter

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #12
Quote by Wolvespaul

I have also looked at booking a trip for 2021, we had paid the full €1060 for our trip in August, we got a credit note for full amount, I have just been priced €1780 to go end of June.
Can't say I'm too impressed

Did they give you the credit for the €1060, I can't see anyone going at €1780 in June

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #13
Well...I wont be helping them claw back their 2020 losses that's for sure...Robbing b@stards

Liked by: eirebus, glastry, GMAC, ntg, +deleted user

Wolvespaul
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #14
Did they give you the credit for the €1060, I can't see anyone going at €1780 in June
[/quote]

Yes I got full credit note thankfully, we will more likely go via Holyhead and tunnel, and use excess for another trip to Wales and Scoland maybe.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #15
Surely these credit notes are a rip off in their own right, they have now got your money and you have got a piece of paper telling you that when you decide to spend your credit you will then have to top it up to whatever the inflated price they now decide to charge.
Dick Turpin at least wore a mask.

Liked by: eirebus, GMAC, panda

Wolvespaul
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #16
It looks that way, only good thing is you can use it on any Irish ferry sailing,

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #17
Quote by Wolvespaul

It looks that way, only good thing is you can use it on any Irish ferry sailing,

And they will all be members of the rip off club.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #18
That’s shocking. A complete rip-off. Hopefully these proposed extra journeys will have them seeking to fill the boats, and prices might drop. .............
And they all lived happily ever after😀

Liked by: GMAC, ntg

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #19
Daffy it will all work well as long as they do not get the avalanche of ferry traffic that they are expecting.
Then they will have to eat humble pie and reduce their extortionate prices.
This goes for all the other rip off merchants either by ferry or air traffic .

Liked by: eirebus, +deleted user

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #20
A lot depended on when you decided not to travel with Irish ferries. At the start of the lockdown I cancelled our May /June (approx) and because I had the flexible option and cancelled early I got all of my money back. I had only paid the €100 deposit at that stage and only lost the flexibility fee.
We were due to go in mid August again. We had paid in full and hoped to go to France. However shortly before the potential departure the Uk government advised against travel to France leaving us potentially without insurance cover. The ferry was still running of course so to cancel would be our choice and we would have lost a large percentage of the fare, so transfer (at no loss) to 2021 was probably the least worst option. We have used Irish ferries every year for 10 years, usually twice a year.
A like for like costing shows an increase of some €200 for 2021. It was a no brainier that costs would rise. We just have to run with it. I dare say many other areas of life will be subject to price rises, wether justified or not.
I have spent 60 years trailing round Ireland in my families caravan, then my caravan and eventually a Motorhome. If it takes an extra €200 to get to France/Spain then so be it. Assuming some sort of normality we will do our usual trips of varying length round Ireland, but having already lost one year and being 67 shortly, time is starting to be a factor in making the most of the potential years ahead for foreign travel.

Davy

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #21
Quote by Davy

A lot depended on when you decided not to travel with Irish ferries. At the start of the lockdown I cancelled our May /June (approx) and because I had the flexible option and cancelled early I got all of my money back. I had only paid the €100 deposit at that stage and only lost the flexibility fee.
We were due to go in mid August again. We had paid in full and hoped to go to France. However shortly before the potential departure the Uk government advised against travel to France leaving us potentially without insurance cover. The ferry was still running of course so to cancel would be our choice and we would have lost a large percentage of the fare, so transfer (at no loss) to 2021 was probably the least worst option. We have used Irish ferries every year for 10 years, usually twice a year.
A like for like costing shows an increase of some €200 for 2021. It was a no brainier that costs would rise. We just have to run with it. I dare say many other areas of life will be subject to price rises, wether justified or not.
I have spent 60 years trailing round Ireland in my families caravan, then my caravan and eventually a Motorhome. If it takes an extra €200 to get to France/Spain then so be it. Assuming some sort of normality we will do our usual trips of varying length round Ireland, but having already lost one year and being 67 shortly, time is starting to be a factor in making the most of the potential years ahead for foreign travel.

Davy

Very good point David,I just hope that people with your outlook are not ripped off in order to balance the books for these cartels.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #22
I think there is no doubt that we shall all pay for the nearly 9 months now of disrupted life wether by ferry companies, airlines, or campsites. I think that will all be small fry compared to the future attempts by governments all over the world trying to claw back some of the lost taxes and benefits paid to workers.

A quote springs to mind “life’s a bitch and then you die”

Davy

Liked by: GMAC, ROBANDSUE

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #23
Quote by Davy

I think there is no doubt that we shall all pay for the nearly 9 months now of disrupted life wether by ferry companies, airlines, or campsites. I think that will all be small fry compared to the future attempts by governments all over the world trying to claw back some of the lost taxes and benefits paid to workers.

A quote springs to mind “life’s a bitch and then you die”

Davy

Couldn't agree more Davy. Irish Ferries like a lot of travel related companies will be screwing us all to recoup losses but nothing compared to the claw back the government's will carry out.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2020  ·  #24
We really need a new operator on the Ireland - France route to shake the market up. These outrageous fares should make it more attractive for a new operator who is looking to build market share by undercutting the incumbents.

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2020  ·  #25
I had to laugh, even last years deposit that they still hold is not good enough. Deposit is now €150, but they are including ‘free’ flexibility. Must read the small print.

Chimpo
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2020  ·  #26
Quote by Davy

Irish ferries seem to have released bookings for the high and shoulder season today. Last week in May through to 3rd October. Looks like they hope to capitalise on people rushing to book. My trip from last year, 16th Aug to 27th September has increased by €200 for the same dates this year. What is even more ridiculous is a trip from end of May to end of June 2 people, 7 metre van and 1 window 2 berth cabin is approx €920. They have upped the deposit to €150 but are giving free flexibility on booking change.

Davy

looked at it myself for us and the dog, nearly 1000 in may and june, they can shove it, Irish ferries have pushed and pushed for this past 8 year , now making it way cheaper to drive across UK , mad

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2020  ·  #27
Wa going through some old paperwork and things and came across these booking confirmations

Nearly €100 cheaper 14 years later
Came across another booking for June 2019 so did comparison for 2021

Big jump in price.

Liked by: sprinter, +deleted user

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2020  ·  #28
I used to get twice a year for about £50 a time using my Tesco vouchers. How times have changed

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2020  ·  #29
I know ferry prices are increasing substantially but so is the cost of staying in Ireland.
In the summer just gone many caravan and camping parks hiked their prices and required seven-night minimum stays, if you could get in in the first place.
2021 year isn't looking much better, I've just heard that the 'aire' in Eyeries will be €15 p/n + €5 for ehu.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2020  ·  #30
eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2020  ·  #31
Quote by Daffysparks

It was that this summer, when we were there

Same here, and Castletownbere is only a few miles away and free so I don't know what his thinking is there

Liked by: panda, +deleted user

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2020  ·  #32
Quote by Davy

Davy

Just had a look at my prior year bookings

Irish Ferries first available sailing seems to be 25/05/21 so based on that and return on 30/06/21 including 2 people MH and cheapest available cabin, fare is €885. This compares to actual 2020 fare (not used) of €517 for 15/05/20 to 25/06/20, an increase of 71%.

For autumn, out 26/08/21, back 01/10/21, the fare is €760 compared to very similar dates in 2020 where the fare (not used) was €553, an increase of 37%.

Stena is €786 for May/June dates and €716 for autumn although this excludes the flexibility option.

Landbridge from Irish Ferries and Stena don’t seem to be available yet for 2021. Based on 2020 fares and avoiding weekend travel, Stena was around £510/£540 for both trips via Cairnryan/Eurotunnel whereas Irish Ferries was around €610/€640 for both trips using Holyhead/ Eurotunnel or Dover/Calais ferry.

Direct routes are very significantly more expensive in 2021. Taking into account that I have two €100 vouchers it might be best to wait until Landbridge is available and hope that IF accept the vouchers on that.

Anyway I won’t book anything yet.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2020  ·  #33
This is just inflation guys,😜 Ferry operators inflation rates apply.😤

Liked by: sprinter, +deleted user

voyager
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.11.2020  ·  #34
Down through the years, IF and Stena offered 20% off sales around Xmas time. Wonder if they will repeat this year

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.11.2020  ·  #35
Quote by voyager

Down through the years, IF and Stena offered 20% off sales around Xmas time. Wonder if they will repeat this year

Unlikely 😠

Chimpo
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.11.2020  ·  #36
Think Stena and Irish ferries need to offer 40% this year now that they are ripping prices for 2021. Think we will stay at home and travel then take a couple of package hols of peak.

Marzypan
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.11.2020  ·  #37
I agree. They should use they heads and encourage people to go away, if their prices were reasonable they would get more people buying. The more the hike the price the more people will stay at home.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.11.2020  ·  #38
Does that mean they will have unsold tickets and empty cabins?

Or will people, who stayed at home for a year and survived a once in a hundred year pandemic, just say enough is enough, I’m going on holidays?

Liked by: GMAC

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.11.2020  ·  #39
With brexit looming there is news that there will be new routes from Ireland/Europe (or increased capacity) on existing routes to keep goods moving and prevent bottlenecks in the UK due to custom clearance and hopefully with it a bit of a relaxing of pricing.
All being well we will be in Europe next winter even if it means a drive through UK/France but will use the Ireland/Spain routes if available.
For now we shall wait, see what transpires and take it from there.

Marzypan
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.11.2020  ·  #40
Sounds good to me. Patience is a vitue

Liked by: eirebus

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.