p0089 error - engine cuts out intermittently

2008 Fiat Ducato 3.0 160 multijet

tomskimc
Subject:

p0089 error - engine cuts out intermittently

· 
Posted: 10.11.2020  ·  #1
2008 Fiat Ducato 3.0 160 multijet

I've been having a problem with engine warning light coming on and engine stalling. I used an odb to get a code and it throws up p0089 referring to the fuel pressure regulator but not sure that the issue.

Symptoms I had recently. Drove full length of M50 no problem, parked up overnight. Drove back through the city the next day and it started to stall when I'd stop at lights. Restart, drive to next lights and cuts out again. Also have had it cut out randomly turning a corner. That's pretty much what happens each time.

A friend suggested it could be the tank pump which I changed, no good. Someone else mentioned checking and cleaning the throttle body which I haven't tried yet. The fuel pressure regulator would be another option but I wanted to check if anyone else out there has had a similar problem before I start spending on more parts.

Thanks for any advice.
Tom

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

Re: p0089 error - engine cuts out intermittently

· 
Posted: 10.11.2020  ·  #2
Some relevance, my daughter and I both have 2014 Hyundai i10s. Hers developed similar problems to your Fiat. Rough idle and stall when stopped. Fuel pump was fine, my mechanic bought a second hand throttle body, but no change, so we took the fuel regulator valve out of mine and popped it into hers and it ran perfectly. Mine then began to display the symptoms, so we bought a new one which cost about £170. Hope I got the part names correct. Still possibly means you have to spend again.

Davy

Liked by: maineside, tomskimc

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2020  ·  #3
That age of Sevel vehicles have a known issue of water ingress in the engine bay which causes problems.
Two most common failures is solenoids which control EGR function and the throttle bodies.
The EGR valves themselves can stick open which can manifest itself by stalling and if severe will cause starting issues.

Liked by: tomskimc

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2020  ·  #4
Tom,have you checked the fuel filter? has it been serviced lately? Personally I would change that first,just to eliminate the possibility of it being the cause.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2020  ·  #5
Harvey
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2020  ·  #6
Faulty fuel pump in a dirty fuel tank would be my guess. The two often occur together. When you replaced the pump the tank should have flushed and new filter fitted.

tomskimc
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2020  ·  #7
Thanks all for the replies. Plenty to keep me occupied there!

Definitely think the water ingress is the root of all the problems. Had to replace ECU, fusebox recently as well as service so filters etc. were all replaced at that stage.
One other symptom that I notice is when I reset the codes and start up, it idles normally. Drive until the issue happens as described, and then it idles at a little higher revs then drops back to normal.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.