The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Would you pay for a roll out awning?

· 
Posted: 02.09.2020  ·  #1
Just curious. Would you pay a campsite charge for a rollout awning? I’m guessing from previous topics that many of you wouldn’t. So if you want to roll out your awning and are unsure if it qualifies for an awning charge, do you check with the campsite first? Or do you just go ahead and if they have a problem with it let them come to you?

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Would you pay for a roll out awning?

· 
Posted: 02.09.2020  ·  #2
the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.09.2020  ·  #3
Personally if I had it to do again I wouldnt fit one to the van as I never use it, but agree with <BM>

johnnymac
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Adria 660SP
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.09.2020  ·  #4
JonMac46
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter 1999 Ducato 2.8 idTD
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.09.2020  ·  #5
In 6 years I used mine twice in Spain. Worthless in our winds.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.09.2020  ·  #6
If it wasent on the van when I bought I wouldn’t put one on as for paying to put it up on a site I would do without it

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.09.2020  ·  #7
I have a Leg/Wall Bracket Kit fitted and if I was challenged, but never have been, I would simply remove the legs from the campsite's precious ground and clip then to the side of my mh.
Having said the above, if ever asked 'have you an awning' I answer no as IMHO the reference is to a caravan type awning or safari room.
They're also useful if parked on hard ground and can't peg down the legs.

Liked by: The Rambler

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.09.2020  ·  #8
Well thanks for all your opinions. It now means I can go back to the missus and say we should not be volunteering to pay for an awning when all we are putting up is a canopy, as seen below. It touches down at a couple of points but it is no privacy or safari room. If I’m challenged on it, it can come down as quickly as it went up. I think we have either paid a few times unnecessarily in the past, or chose not to put it up because we didn’t want to pay. Either way we were probably getting caught out for no reason.

This was kind of covered before in another topic forum/topic.php?t=16945 but I wasn’t sure what everyone else was doing.

Cheers !

Liked by: sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.09.2020  ·  #9
Quote by The Rambler

Well thanks for all your opinions. It now means I can go back to the missus and say we should not be volunteering to pay for an awning when all we are putting up is a canopy, as seen below. It touches down at a couple of points but it is no privacy or safari room. If I’m challenged on it, it can come down as quickly as it went up. I think we have either paid a few times unnecessarily in the past, or chose not to put it up because we didn’t want to pay. Either way we were probably getting caught out for no reason.

This was kind of covered before in another topic forum/topic.php?t=16945 but I wasn’t sure what everyone else was doing.

Cheers !

,have you got one like in the photo what is it that's the sort of thing Im thinking about getting /making

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.09.2020  ·  #10
Yes Martin, I have that very one, it’s the Outwell Touring Canopy. They’re quite neat, quick to put up and don’t break the bank. I got mine at Charle’s Camping.

Judge Dredd
My Motorhome: Kentucky Camp
Base Vehicle: 2014 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2020  ·  #11
I use my awning regularly and have never paid extra for it, nor been approached to do so.
I'd wind straight back in if I was asked !
As previously stated in my opinion this charge is for the caravan type / awning that doubles your living space.

Thinking about it I don't remember ever seeing an awning charge in Europe.
Always better equipped sites with decent bars, restaurants, kids playing areas, free showers etc etc.

I think it's more of the greed we see from Irish campsite owners.
Put as little as possible into the site and ask as much as possible for the privilege.

cowboy70
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Elddis encore 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducat 2.3/ 9 speed auto 140bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2020  ·  #12
StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2020  ·  #13
The other perspective. If a sided and especially floored awning is put on grass and even if the grass was dry after 3 to 7 days the grass underneath the awning will be discoloured, damaged and in some cases ruined. And if I’m going park on a pitch I don’t want my outside area to be the source of bringing mud into my van. This means a pitch that has had an awning on it for a period of time at best is un popular until the ground has recovered or has to be left un used for a while.
It has got to the point that this year I removed the grass on the majority of awning suitable pitches and replaced the grass with a surface that can still be used for awnings but will not be damaged by ground sheets and a like.
Wind out awnings do not cause me the same problems the sun can still shine on the grass. Enclosed awnings especially with ground sheets are the ones that harm the grass.
So I can understand why sites charge for awnings, especially awnings that are effectively another room for the caravan or MH.
I don’t charge for awnings.
Incidentally I have a limited number of pitches suitable for tents and this year we had a family on one tent pitch for 4 days and when the left the ground was wrecked they came back a week later saw the state of the pitch they had left 7 days ago and said we are not having that pitch again it’s sub standard. No one had used the pitch in the mean time.

cowboy70
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Elddis encore 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducat 2.3/ 9 speed auto 140bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2020  ·  #14
StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2020  ·  #15
As I said we don’t charge for awnings but in order to ensure we are not reducing our capacity or suitable pitches available we have made the awning space for many pitches all weather suitable.
Our customers this year were very different to previous years where we would normally be 50% Irish in July and August and 50% touring Europeans. This year being pretty much 100% Irish we found people were staying not just for 1 or 2 days but in many cases 1 or 2 weeks and longer stays invariably led to more room type awnings and a huge increase in a second car with caravans and a motorhome with an extra car. Tents were staying longer too. I reckon next year will be the same and I don’t want to be half way through my season and only have mud pitches left.
I was at another campsite recently and like myself they had only been open 3 months but their tent field was trashed so if we are able to open next year for our more normal duration of 8 months we have to do something to ensure our pitches are fit for purpose.
Like I said I have no concerns with wind out awnings but ground sheets and room type awnings are potentially harmful for grass pitches.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2020  ·  #16
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Like I said I have no concerns with wind out awnings but ground sheets and room type awnings are potentially harmful for grass pitches.

I agree with you about the damage to the grass, Jamie. No one knows it better than myself with cattle poaching grassland much worse than any ground sheet here on the farm, but do you know another thing the grass grows again. I have yet to see a campsite owner laying new turf or scattering grass seed when a Motorhome leaves. Tough Sh1t to the next Coustomer if the grass is bit discoloured the Campsite owner has his awning money in his pocket and the grass will grow again.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2020  ·  #17
I have "invested" in a Lillypad awning with the roll down waterproof membranes, never found the need for a ground sheet since the spogs grew up.
The grass grows happily with the lillypad and you can see the world go by and have a natter, even better just thought when typing this they make a good face mask in these troubled times. Take no room when packed you and secure the windout to the ground with elastic so have some give.
Only bought and used for the first time this year and must admit more than happy.
Feel that If awning charged for though if using sides and front would pay if just one and not all it is just a windbreaker so no.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2020  ·  #18
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

I agree with you about the damage to the grass, Jamie. No one knows it better than myself with cattle poaching grassland much worse than any ground sheet here on the farm, but do you know another thing the grass grows again. I have yet to see a campsite owner laying new turf or scattering grass seed when a Motorhome leaves. Tough Sh1t to the next Coustomer if the grass is bit discoloured the Campsite owner has his awning money in his pocket and the grass will grow again.

Grass does grow again but and perhaps it’s just me I’m not the type of person who is happy to charge for a pitch if the pitch is basically mud.
I have one premium tent pitch here it comes with a few desirable extras that tent campers appreciate but this season a short season I had it blocked out, (not bookable) for approximately 50% of the season as I would not be happy taking money for a sub standard pitch, instead I’d give it 5 to 7 days to recover before making it available again. Each to there own but I don’t subscribe to a tough sh1t approach.
In addition I do regularly re seed pitches and feed and fertilise them regularly.

If I had a drive away awning and I was being charged for it I would not be happy if I had to scrub and dry my ground sheet after each use.

If I did charge for an awning I would only be able to justify charging if the surface was fit for purpose and not a brown or yellow mess.

I don’t charge for awnings but I do now provide a clean and useable space for awnings.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.10.2020  ·  #19
Well done Jami,your current solution with the new pitches is a great idea, and your recycling.
In this Country with rain every other week, it's they way to go instead of grass pitches.

seamus
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.10.2020  ·  #20
No definitely would not pay for an awning. Having been approached once for extra payment for winding out my awning. I politley pointed out that I had a canopy and not an awning which the owner accepted.
Pitches on camp sites are expensive enough with out being expected to pay for the privelige of paying extra to wind out an awning /canopy

Liked by: baguette, johnnymac, ntg

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.