mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Insurance on an imported mh

· 
Posted: 07.09.2020  ·  #1
Just wondering if any craicers have any info regarding insurance on an imported mh,

A friend is thinking of importing a mh that is on English plates at the minute,
He was planning to leave it on english plates and then hope to get VRT paid in January,
But I'm thinking I heard that Dolmen will only cover it for 30 days on the English plate, anybody have any experience of this?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Insurance on an imported mh

· 
Posted: 07.09.2020  ·  #2
I think revenue will only allow 30 days too

Liked by: baguette, sprinter

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.09.2020  ·  #3
Quote by eirebus

I think revenue will only allow 30 days too

How do revenue know when you imported it,do you have to have a receipt or ticket from ferry company

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.09.2020  ·  #4
Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.09.2020  ·  #5
Damned if you do and damned if you don’t!

Liked by: sprinter

Harvey
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2020  ·  #6
I have just completed the VRT process on a motorhome I imported from UK. You have to book inspection within 7days and then on inspection date produce the following. Full 2 page V5. Hard copy of shipping details. PPS details and proof of address. The VRT inspector took photos of vehicle inside and outside and told me to wait for Revenue to contact me. After 10 days I got figure payable by text and paid at VRT office who gave me Irish Reg. Whole process took about 6weeks and VRT was charged from the shipping date. Dolmen only allow 30 days for registration but were understanding in my case as I kept them informed of progress. Hoping this might be helpful.

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, GMAC, panda

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2020  ·  #7
Thanks for that Pat,

That explains a lot of questions etc

Harvey
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2020  ·  #8
You’re welcome John. One other thing to mention is that you can swop a valid UK MOT for the Irish CVRT equivalent. You will be dealing with RSA for this and form can be downloaded from their website.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2020  ·  #9
Quote by Albert the Talbot

Damned if you do and damned if you don’t!

Sounds like every day in the UK & Ireland.

Liked by: petereire

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2020  ·  #10
@Harvey,

If you don't mind me asking what kind of motorhome you imported and what them shower of b******s in Rosslare conned you out of,
The reason i'm asking is it might give some body a very rough idea of what (as there is no way to calculate it) the VRT would be on a certain year and model of a motorhome,

If you dont want to share the info its understandable but said I'd ask for the benefit of the community ,👍🏻👍🏻

Harvey
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.09.2020  ·  #11
I don’t mind. As a first timer on a budget I imported a Ducato Swift Lifestyle 2002 with 40K miles. Revenue valuation was €19600 which had me paying €2546 VRT @13.3%. This I presume was a full blown dealer valuation obtained from their dealer contacts. I wasn’t unhappy as in today’s mad market I had anticipated around the 20K mark and I got a well documented and minded van. I suppose the only guide one can presume is that valuation will be based on the forecourt asking price of the established dealers.

Spailpin Fanach
Craic'er
Homepage: bharr.com
My Motorhome: 1989 VW T25 1.6TD JX Westfalia California poptop with 5 gears.
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.09.2020  ·  #12
Hi
I'm just importing a camper from the UK and Dolmen said 28 days from start of insurance to register in State. They said that ins co is flexible because of Covid and will extend.
Hope this helps

Liked by: Ally, mad max

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.09.2020  ·  #13
insured or not be carefull, yesterday on stop search seize a guy in an oldish vectra that he had give a 1000 euro for hadnt regestered in the 30 day window and got an on the spot fine of 10 percent of the car they valued at 2500 ,they got in beside him and drove with him to an atm machine for a cash only fine of 250 euro or seizure

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.09.2020  ·  #14
it had english plates

Harvey
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2020  ·  #15
Key thing is to book the VRT appointment within 7 days of landing on Irish soil. Carry proof of appointment with you. Barring a miracle it’s going to take you longer than 30 days to get motoring on Irish plates.

Liked by: Ally

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2020  ·  #16
All sorted,

He bought a cracking MH on irish plates,

But the info above will have some bit of guidance for somebody thinking of importing a mh

Thanks to all for the info

Liked by: Ally, CHAUSSON, Harvey, panda, sprinter, +deleted user

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2020  ·  #17
Quote by Harvey

You’re welcome John. One other thing to mention is that you can swop a valid UK MOT for the Irish CVRT equivalent. You will be dealing with RSA for this and form can be downloaded from their website.

This was the information I wanted, can you expand on the process as I hope to be doing similar if and when traveling is permitted again. It’s only the mot to cvrt process I understand how to do the rest.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2020  ·  #18
Quote by Harvey

That's very interesting. So The RSA recognise the validity of an MOT, a Certificate of Roadworthiness of another jurisdiction.
So why don't they recognise a Certificate of Roadworthiness from, for example, Spain? Why can't we get our test done there if re-test time arrives while we are away?
If they recognise a certificate on one other EU member state why not those of the others.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2020  ·  #19
Quote by baguette

Quote by Harvey

That's very interesting. So The RSA recognise the validity of an MOT, a Certificate of Roadworthiness of another jurisdiction.
So why don't they recognise a Certificate of Roadworthiness from, for example, Spain? Why can't we get our test done there if re-test time arrives while we are away?
If they recognise a certificate on one other EU member state why not those of the others.

Good point Colin...I'm pretty sure it's the same Spanish car testing company that have the contract to do the NCT here.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

were in Glendalough upper car park on our own, Had a Glass or two and some company call by.

· 
Posted: 11.10.2020  ·  #20
Quote by panda

Quote by baguette

Quote by Harvey

Good point Colin...I'm pretty sure it's the same Spanish car testing company that have the contract to do the NCT here.

Point is who is saying you have to come home to get tested?.
Are you going to get done in the country where you are when the test is out?
Has anyone gone into a Test centre abroad and asked them to do a test?.
How do the law down here or anywhere in Europe know if a vehicle from another country is going around out of test, am I right in thinking that some of you guy's now have nothing on your windscreen.?

Harvey
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2020  ·  #21
I got my replacement CVRT cert this week valid to July 21. I completed the form which you download from the RSA website and send to their Loughrea office with original UK mot cert. The replacement cert took two weeks to arrive. If you’re buying in UK territory get seller to put new MOT on van as I did. A word of caution is that Brexit might change things although unlikely. This is a mutual recognition agreement and to my knowledge applies to all EU countries provided you have an English translation of their Cert.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2020  ·  #22
Glad you got sorted Pat,

It took three weeks for a log book to get returned to me after buying a jeep so maybe there is a delay in the system (or a shower of lazy people working there)

Liked by: Harvey

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2020  ·  #23
Quote by mad max

Glad you got sorted Pat,

It took three weeks for a log book to get returned to me after buying a jeep so maybe there is a delay in the system (or a shower of lazy people working there)

I would blame an post i sent a letter to my daughter she got it 23 days later.
From galway to dublin.
And when she got it it looked like it was in the post persons pocket for 22 days😅

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2020  ·  #24
@TAYLOR.

I hadn't thought of that .....maybe my comment above about lazy people is not accurate 🤔

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.