Battery Charger

Electrics

hymerboy
Subject:

Battery Charger

· 
Posted: 24.06.2015  ·  #1
Hi All,
First I am in Bangor and I can't seem to be able to update my profile.
The suggestions to solve my previous airbag problem were very helpful - thanks all.
To the Fat Controller- yes that was me at LTS.
Now to my next problem!
Leisure battery not getting a charge, 240v going in to the battery charger (Electromatic LA 110 by Shaudt 12v - 7A 30Ah ) nothing coming out . Measure after windings and there is an output of 13v. This is where it enters the PCB and then the final 2 output connections - brown and blue which are after the PCB register zero.
So, something not right within the PCB.
Anyone out there have a schematic of the PCB or better still who could fix said PCB?

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1992 Hymer B534
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.5TD
Subject:

Re: Battery Charger

· 
Posted: 25.06.2015  ·  #2
I will try to attach the Electrical Schematics for the Hymer - if it dosent attach - PM me and i will send to you.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Tristan @ PHM
Craic Addict
Homepage: PatHoranMotors.com…
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.06.2015  ·  #3
I get them repaired regularly , getting one a week lately , whatever is going on! Did you check the pcb mounted fuse ?

hymerboy
Subject:

Battery Charger

· 
Posted: 25.06.2015  ·  #4
I can't see a fuse on the PCB - this is a 1990 B544 Hymer

Tristan @ PHM
Craic Addict
Homepage: PatHoranMotors.com…
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.06.2015  ·  #5
There's almost always glass fuses inside. Pictures?

freebird20
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2020  ·  #6
(First time poster - Hi all & apologies for resurrecting an old thread!)

Bought our first Hymer couple of weeks ago - it's a 1992 Hymer Camp 56 LHD German imported at some stage.
Am still familiarising myself with its systems and tracking back over years of mods/add ons going over how stuff works & what doesn't work.
The leisure battery mains charger is a Elektromatic LA110K & was not outputting any voltage at all.
A very quick look today I found the internal transformer fuse blown - replaced it & still no output.

Is it worth getting this charger repaired? I know it is the original as fitted.
But I have to replace the ~10yr old leisure battery anyway as it is only charging to 10.6V; would I be better to fit a more modern multistage battery charger at the same time to maintain the new battery(s) in prime condition (with perhaps an integrated solar PWM controller to give future options)? While solar is not a pressing need for as, there already is a (non working ~3V) solar panel fitted on the roof. This solar panel seems to have been wired directly to the output terminals of the LA110K???? - The charger says Solar on the front plate & there are 2 sets of +/- terminals; one set going to leisure battery, one set direct to the solar panel.
Is this a common setup on these?
Also, I am considering 2x Trojan 105Ah in parallel; is this overkill? Would the old Fiat 2.5D alternator handle charging them?There was another 45aH general battery added in parallel to the 96Ah leisure battery at some stage (2010); can't see that setup having worked very well.

Any advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated & may save early mistakes in choosing something unsuitable.

Also if anyone had the electrical drawings of the Hymer Camp from this date or something similar.

Thanks

insider
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.09.2020  ·  #7
Quote by freebird20

(First time poster - Hi all & apologies for resurrecting an old thread!)

Bought our first Hymer couple of weeks ago - it's a 1992 Hymer Camp 56 LHD German imported at some stage.
Am still familiarising myself with its systems and tracking back over years of mods/add ons going over how stuff works & what doesn't work.
The leisure battery mains charger is a Elektromatic LA110K & was not outputting any voltage at all.
A very quick look today I found the internal transformer fuse blown - replaced it & still no output.

Is it worth getting this charger repaired? I know it is the original as fitted.
But I have to replace the ~10yr old leisure battery anyway as it is only charging to 10.6V; would I be better to fit a more modern multistage battery charger at the same time to maintain the new battery(s) in prime condition (with perhaps an integrated solar PWM controller to give future options)? While solar is not a pressing need for as, there already is a (non working ~3V) solar panel fitted on the roof. This solar panel seems to have been wired directly to the output terminals of the LA110K???? - The charger says Solar on the front plate & there are 2 sets of +/- terminals; one set going to leisure battery, one set direct to the solar panel.
Is this a common setup on these?
Also, I am considering 2x Trojan 105Ah in parallel; is this overkill? Would the old Fiat 2.5D alternator handle charging them?There was another 45aH general battery added in parallel to the 96Ah leisure battery at some stage (2010); can't see that setup having worked very well.

Any advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated & may save early mistakes in choosing something unsuitable.

Also if anyone had the electrical drawings of the Hymer Camp from this date or something similar.

Thanks

Lots going on here. Question - how do you plan on charging your two new Trojans. The Fiat alternator should(cabling!!) handle charging them but you'd probably have to drive twice around Ireland to get anything decent into them. I would think ditching the Elektromatic LA110K would be the first step. Then if you intend being on hook up all the time replace with something more modern - don't know what's out there - my van has a Sargent PX300 which is multistage but only suitable for leadacid. There are others on here far more knowledgeable than me who will likely suggest something(and correct any bad advice I give!!). If you will be mainly off site then a B2B and/or solar with a MPPT(rather than a PWM controller) would be needed.

Don't understand you wiring - pictures help a lot but I'd suggest disconnecting the solar and testing the voltage when there's a bit of sun around. If you have a working panel then something like a Victron 75/15 is relatively cheap and does a great job.

I'm only scratching the surface but hope it starts something for you

freebird20
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.09.2020  ·  #8
Thanks insider.

Lots of questions I know!

I am thinking the primary charge for the Trojans will be the mains battery charger from EHU onsite & regular EHU when parked at home. Supplemented by the alternator when traveling to/from - as you say, I suppose this wont give much really to the leisure battery by the time the starter battery is topped up. Then eventually the system be supplemented by solar panel which I will replace in time (more a trickle charge topup).

The existing solar panel seems to be shot - I disconnected the cabling coming from the panel into the LA110K & I am only measuring ~3Vdc on the wires in (somewhat cloudy) daylight.

As we are new to the van, we are obviously still guessing how we will use it exactly - I would like to do a little bit off grid; maybe a couple nights parked up without EHU or starting the engine & mix this with campsites with EHU - I am in the process of replacing all the non working incandescent and fluorescent habitation light fittings with LED fittings, so the biggest 12V draw I can see would be the blown air fan (max 30mins operation/day) followed by the water pump (occasional use). Couple of USB chargers 12v-5v won't be a big load. Fridge & cooking & heat source will be on gas.

So I wonder am I going overkill with 220Ah capacity? Bigger battery bank obviously more power when required, but takes longer to charge up again.
What are others experience on this?

All suggestions are greatly appreciated; no advice is bad advice at all - I will do my homework on all suggestions made thanks again!

insider
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.09.2020  ·  #9
Quote by freebird20

Thanks insider.

Lots of questions I know!

I am thinking the primary charge for the Trojans will be the mains battery charger from EHU onsite & regular EHU when parked at home. Supplemented by the alternator when traveling to/from - as you say, I suppose this wont give much really to the leisure battery by the time the starter battery is topped up. Then eventually the system be supplemented by solar panel which I will replace in time (more a trickle charge topup).

The existing solar panel seems to be shot - I disconnected the cabling coming from the panel into the LA110K & I am only measuring ~3Vdc on the wires in (somewhat cloudy) daylight.

As we are new to the van, we are obviously still guessing how we will use it exactly - I would like to do a little bit off grid; maybe a couple nights parked up without EHU or starting the engine & mix this with campsites with EHU - I am in the process of replacing all the non working incandescent and fluorescent habitation light fittings with LED fittings, so the biggest 12V draw I can see would be the blown air fan (max 30mins operation/day) followed by the water pump (occasional use). Couple of USB chargers 12v-5v won't be a big load. Fridge & cooking & heat source will be on gas.

So I wonder am I going overkill with 220Ah capacity? Bigger battery bank obviously more power when required, but takes longer to charge up again.
What are others experience on this?

All suggestions are greatly appreciated; no advice is bad advice at all - I will do my homework on all suggestions made thanks again!

Solar definately shot - you should be seeing it peaking at 19V.

Typical use in a camper - no compressor fridge and no hairdryer/electric coffee maker is 20 to 30AHr per day. Given that you should not go below 50% discharge that means you have 110Ahr available to you when you leave your driveway. That gives you let's say 5 days in summer or 3 days in winter assuming you're parked up and no solar. I would definately stay with the 2 batteries if you have the space and payload as typically most leadacid batteries are rated at 200cycles at 50% DOD. Don't know what your Trojans are rated at but the less you take out the longer you'll have them.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.