Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Wine in France

· 
Posted: 22.09.2020  ·  #81
Quote by The Rambler

Ok I got you. He had it delivered as opposed to bringing it personally.

What if you touted your bulk buy offer to a local wine shop here? Might they match 10% or15%?

That's my point, we can have a MHCC wine club and then contact a few dealers in Ireland. if I don't go on the boat I've €600 extra to spend.
The only thing is off licences are raking it in, so might not be up for a deal.
But maybe some wine bar or pub might like to offload some stock?

Liked by: The Rambler, +deleted user

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

Re: Wine in France

· 
Posted: 22.09.2020  ·  #82
Quote by sprinter

Just as a matter of interest my Buddy put an order in of Porto 6. He was advised by the An Post who do the deliveries for DHL. that the customs had stopped the shipment, He then received a bill for 3.20 per bottle and upon paying it they let the shipment 30 bottles go trough this time, but advised him that they would not allow it to happen again. It would a[pear you need a license.
the final cost was €9.90.

I would think some people had a regular supply of more than 30 bottles coming in so it came to the notice of the customs.

Doesn’t seem to be a problem in the UK yet. Box of 12 bottles every month since lockdown. Seems to come to NI via Germany to GB using DHL. €5.05 inc delivery. Long May it last. 🤫

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.09.2020  ·  #83
Quote by sprinter

The only thing is off licences are raking it in, so might not be up for a deal.
But maybe some wine bar or pub might like to offload some stock?

Off licences are raking it in like Jeff Bezos, that's for sure. May be a struggling local pub might be more deserving.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2022  ·  #84
It’s getting near that time again after a long delay. Has anyone bought wine in France recently. Is it still as good value, are there issues for those of us from the North following Brexit and are we limited to what comes back home.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2022  ·  #85
We brought back wine in March. You are allowed 48 still bottles plus 24 sparkling into UK. My counting is not great so might have had a few over. The prices hadnt gone up much. No one inspected or asked us about it. We came back into Rosslare from Cherbourg so don't know who is going to control it as we drove back to the North. We are heading away again in 3 weeks so we'll have another load just to top up

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Wine in France

· 
Posted: 09.08.2022  ·  #86
Have a look at www.winebeersupermarket.com.
prices have gone up a little, how much you can bring, according to some truck drivers I spoke to, there appears to be a few new young bucks in Dublin, who have nothing better to do,on Weekend sailing,

Call in on the way out ( don't forget to tell them you were recommended from here) and get some wine to sample on your trip, for the order on the way home, you can stay overnight in the car park,some of the truckers do to wait for the boat next day, there are a few eateries locally.

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2022  ·  #87
What's this? Low price wine in France?
After several trips there, marvelling at the architecture, the scenery, the culture and the French way of life... you're now telling me they sell cheap wine as well?
This just gets better and better!

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2022  ·  #88
Quote by sprinter

Have a look at www.winebeersupermarket.com.
prices have gone up a little, how much you can bring, according to some truck drivers I spoke to, there appears to be a few new young bucks in Dublin, who have nothing better to do,on Weekend sailing,

Call in on the way out ( don't forget to tell them you were recommended from here) and get some wine to sample on your trip, for the order on the way home, you can stay overnight in the car park,some of the truckers do to wait for the boat next day, there are a few eateries locally.

We still have our list of favourites from WBS from 3 years ago. It’s our first stop on the way into France. Can’t wait. Thank you all.

Liked by: tony glenn

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2022  ·  #89
I can confirm that there is still an ample supply of wine in France. The last 10 days or so have demanded a more Spanish approach with the liberal application of sangria

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Wine in France Topic information

· 
Posted: 10.08.2022  ·  #90
Quote by <BM>

I can confirm that there is still an ample supply of wine in France. The last 10 days or so have demanded a more Spanish approach with the liberal application of sangria

I hope you're just using it as a mouthwash, 🤔😂

Liked by: tony glenn

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2022  ·  #91
A box of 6 bottles = 4.5 litre. That’s a lot of air. Same box filled with just wine = 20 litre. That’s where you save

Liked by: rebbyvid, sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Wine in France

· 
Posted: 10.08.2022  ·  #92
Quote by The Rambler

A box of 6 bottles = 4.5 litre. That’s a lot of air. Same box filled with just wine = 20 litre. That’s where you save

A few 3/5 ltr are fine for when you are having a get together, the bigger skins really need to be bottled when you get them home.
Believe me, I used to buy wine in a cave in Brest, in 12, 22,and 33 ltr skins. Sunday when we landed in off the boat was busy in out house, bottling and labeling wine, and the week before, washing and sterilizing bottles, we were not bothered by the air but the weight of the glass every 100 glass bottles is equal to 25ltrs of wine. :(

Liked by: Mark&Wendy

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2022  ·  #93
Quote by sprinter

A few 3/5 ltr are fine for when you are having a get together, the bigger skins really need to be bottled when you get them home.
Believe me, I used to buy wine in a cave in Brest, in 12, 22,and 33 ltr skins. Sunday when we landed in off the boat was busy in out house, bottling and labeling wine, and the week before, washing and sterilizing bottles, we were not bothered by the air but the weight of the glass every 100 glass bottles is equal to 25ltrs of wine. :(

Martin you would save a fortune with one of these.....cheap to get on the ferry as only 2mtr behind the mh 🤣

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2022  ·  #94
Quote by sprinter

Quote by The Rambler

I went along with that myself for a while Martin. But then it was pointed out to me that the bag that encapsulates the wine in the box is pretty much air free for the course of its lifetime while storing the wine. Plus the fact that I have had one on the go for over a month (it was a slow month) ,and have not experienced any I’ll effects, sour or otherwise, I am now convinced of the convenience of boxed wine.

We just landed in Normandy ourselves and picked up a boxed Syrah, naturally ,in the local Super Marche. Bottoms up!

Liked by: JJF, sprinter

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2022  ·  #95
Just back after 7 weeks and not noticed any increase in wine prices since lockdown (every thing else has gone up but i suppose its same as here) I brought a mix back inc a case of six from a local cave who delivered to the aire we were on, A dozen litre bottles of Mosel wine from Aldi on the border of luxembourg/germany/belguim. Tried it before and we love it and its only €3 a litre, 3x 5 litre boxes from Carrefour of another favourite Les Ormes de Cambras and 4 bottles of Smuggler whisky from Luxembourg. Didn't check what we could bring back and as there's 2 of us don't think we were anywhere near limit. No checks were done either going out or coming back in except for a look in the shower to see if anyone was in there

Liked by: Mark&Wendy, sprinter

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.