fisherpricecamper
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Camper Security

· 
Posted: 17.09.2020  ·  #1
Recently had a dodgy looking guy pull up in a van outside the house and have a good look at my camper. In particular I'd say he was sizing up the awning. Mine cost €800 and is basically secured to the brackets with 3 small screws!!
If guys are willing to steal alloys off cars, which involves jacking and undoing 20 wheel nuts, surely an awning would be trivial for them with 3 screws. I'm going to take it off for the winter anyway as welding bolts etc would probably lead to them damaging the camper more by prizing it off.

Has anyone heard of awnings getting stolen ?

The van itself has a immobilizer. In general what do people do to prevent vehicle itself from getting stolen? Would an old fashioned wheel clamp be much of a deterrent ?

Liked by: Ally

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Camper Security

· 
Posted: 17.09.2020  ·  #2
If they want it bad enough they'll take it. So everything to slow them down and make them move on to another one can only help.

Liked by: baguette, fisherpricecamper, GMAC, +deleted user

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2020  ·  #3
Three screws? You will loose that the first speed bump you meet😮all jokes a side, you could drive yourself mad worrying about trivial things like a awning. Forget about it your insurance will replace it if it get nicked.

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, johnnymac

fisherpricecamper
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2020  ·  #4
Quote by CHAUSSON

Three screws? You will loose that the first speed bump you meet😮all jokes a side, you could drive yourself mad worrying about trivial things like a awning. Forget about it your insurance will replace it if it get nicked.

The problem with that approach is that some day your car insurance company will ask you if you ever had a claim on any policy, camper, house etc....Then while the NCB on the car might stay intact the fact that you had a claim might raise your base premium on the car and an €800 claim could end up costing multiples of that over a few years of increased car insurance.

With current insurance in Ireland my policy is only for things over 3k....Otherwise they'll get they money back with interest.

Example, friend had a catalytic converter stolen. No big deal, claimed €1000 and as he had NCB protection. Next year they jacked up his premium but left his NCB intact. Still doubled what he had to pay. He tried to change to a different company but the NCB was only protected if he stayed with his current insurer. They win every time.

Liked by: brenlixnaw

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2020  ·  #5
Jeepers. What part of the country are you in. Awnings and catalytic converters, them lads are getting picky😳. Most of those types, would just take the entire vehicle😳

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2020  ·  #6
As Ally has said if they want it they'll take it and all you can do is make it as difficult as possible. I've never heard of awnings in particular being stolen but I guess it's possible

Liked by: Ally, eirebus

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2020  ·  #7
Quote by CHAUSSON

That's pretty much me, don't carry anything in the van you can't afford to lose. Glastonbury festival training from over 20 years ago 😐

We'd never go anywhere if we worried about what could happen.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2020  ·  #8
Might there be a very innocent explanation to alltjis? I was that bloke was just checking out your awning as he is thinking of getting something similar. Just sayin’ 🙄

fisherpricecamper
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2020  ·  #9
Quote by The Rambler

Might there be a very innocent explanation to alltjis? I was that bloke was just checking out your awning as he is thinking of getting something similar. Just sayin’ 🙄

Not a chance of innocent explanation. If he was thinking of doing something similar he was thinking of doing it with my awning!

GoMcKeogh
My Motorhome: Hobby T600FC
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2020  ·  #10
We live on a main road and our van is always being admired by savory and unsavory passers by.... We have a clamp on just as a deterrent and it might delay them enough that they get spotted. But with most things if someone wants it enough they will take it. I did see an interesting suggestion of turning the drivers seat into the rear facing position and chaining it so its facing backwards to steering wheel to prevent anyone driving it. I haven't used this method yet but its an interesting idea. Good luck and hope your awning stays put :-)

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, fisherpricecamper, GMAC, +deleted user

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Camper Security

· 
Posted: 18.09.2020  ·  #11
I've seen a van with two eye bolts on the inside of the doors, connected across the van with a steel towing bar the ones with the hook on each end and a chain from this around the steering wheel and the brake pedal.

NEILSENVehicle Tow Pole 2000kgs

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.09.2020  ·  #12
rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.09.2020  ·  #13
Quote by Albert the Talbot

Some people across here are using these and putting stickers on the windows, basically turn the seat around and drill a 14mm hole and fit.
I got one for £32.00 but have yet to fit!
Mooch about the web and you’ll get it cheaper

https://www.oxfordproducts.com…disk_lock/

I got one thanks to Alberts recommendation and even though the seat only turns sideways it stops it from being turned into the driving position and no drilling as used existing hole , As mines a ford i changed the door lock to a hykey lock ,have a lockable cover on the ODB port, a Stoplock on the steering wheel, and a DNA kit from Safeguard insurance but as already said if they are determined enough they will take it but it might keep the local scrotes away.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.09.2020  ·  #14
I have a steel wire with a loop on each end. I loop one end around the armrest on one side bring it across to the other side and loop it around the other armrest then secure with a padlock. I have an extra lock on the habitation door and a strike back alarm. I also have a wheel clamp if I'm feeling paticularly anxious

Liked by: Ally

fisherpricecamper
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2020  ·  #15
Thanks for the ideas. I think I will go with the wheel clamp because it's so visible. Hopefully if a would be thief sees that he might not even try. With the other options he might have already opened doors and started hacking at stuff before finding the seat would not swivel etc.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2020  ·  #16
A nice, cheap and easy addition which I use is a long hasp padlock threaded through the universal joint on the base of the steering column. This prevents the steering wheel turning and the van is parked with the wheels turned towards the wall of the house. I have beefed this up with a piece of chain secured to the seat base at one end and the padlock at the other. This helps turn it into a visible deterrent as well.

Davy

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2020  ·  #17
Quote by Davy

A nice, cheap and easy addition which I use is a long hasp padlock threaded through the universal joint on the base of the steering column. This prevents the steering wheel turning and the van is parked with the wheels turned towards the wall of the house. I have beefed this up with a piece of chain secured to the seat base at one end and the padlock at the other. This helps turn it into a visible deterrent as well.

Davy

Looks to be a decent simple deterrent Davy.👍

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2020  ·  #18
Tell you what’s not bad,as a deterant two birds with one stone,if you’re ever in Poundstretcher at the car section where you get that stuff that falls apart there’s a 3 tonne tow strapp the 16 foot one if you have a relay or boxer or Ducati it fits under each door handle inside and connects together again in the middle if you pull it tight and it’s bright yellow and so obvious ,handy for when you’re sleeping of camp site,i thought about 8 quid

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2020  ·  #19
You can also use a ratchet strap but leave a knife close by incase you need to get out quickly

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2020  ·  #20
While straps are a deterrent they aren't much good if a thief breaks a window and has a knife in his pocket. you would be better off with two short chains and a strap or padlock joining them in the middle where a thief cant reach. No way would I sleep in a Motorhome with the doors strapped closed, you would do well to get out of a motorhome or caravan with the doors wide open if it caught fire not to mind looking for a knife in the dark and the Motorhome full of toxic fumes. you might be better off with a good dog or door alarms while you are asleep

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2020  ·  #21
I have a mate who never closes the blinds, even when sleeping. Never locks the van,, in warm weather will leave the habitation door wide open all night. His belief is that it’s all about perception. If they think you aren’t afraid of anything, they get nervous and give you a wide berth. He has never had an incident in 40 years of Motorhoming, and he very seldom uses campsites or official areas.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2020  ·  #22
Folks I would be afraid of some of the measures mentioned here,if anyone feels the need to take these measures then they would be better to seek out a more secure parking area.
God forbid that a fire broke out some of these measures would be like sealing your own coffin.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2020  ·  #23
Agreed. If I don’t feel comfortable, very rare event, I’ll move on. You could work yourself up into an awful state if you dwelt on this type of scenario. Positive state of mind in these matters helps a lot

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2020  ·  #24
Quote by CHAUSSON

While straps are a deterrent they aren't much good if a thief breaks a window and has a knife in his pocket. you would be better off with two short chains and a strap or padlock joining them in the middle where a thief cant reach. No way would I sleep in a Motorhome with the doors strapped closed, you would do well to get out of a motorhome or caravan with the doors wide open if it caught fire not to mind looking for a knife in the dark and the Motorhome full of toxic fumes. you might be better off with a good dog or door alarms while you are asleep

I just have alarms on every window and 3 alert collies......Mirela bites too😁

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2020  ·  #25
John anyone with any consideration for their own life will stay well clear of your motorhome.😅😂

Liked by: panda

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2020  ·  #26
I’m sure Mirela will thank you for posting that picture 🤪

Liked by: panda

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2020  ·  #27
Quote by Daffysparks

I’m sure Mireka will thank you for posting that picture 🤪

Sssshhhhhh......She might hear you! <_<

Liked by: eirebus, +deleted user

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2020  ·  #28
Quote by panda

Quote by Daffysparks

I’m sure Mireka will thank you for posting that picture 🤪

Sssshhhhhh......She might hear you! <_<

If she dose you will need more than a penknife and a bone to get back in yourselfe John :lol:

Liked by: ntg, panda, sprinter, +deleted user

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2020  ·  #29
Having had someone break into our van while sleeping we now take precautions and remember to switch on the alarm, wire the front doors and secure the habitation door with the extra lock. I have everyday items in the van that I will deal out extreme violence with if someone gets in. I have a smoke alarm and an alarm that detects other gasses. There are plenty of large windows to get out.
Go on punk;

Oh and I make the missus sleep on the outside of the bed just in case

Liked by: ntg, panda, Whelaneil

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2020  ·  #30
I have always had a love of baseball although never played it, for that reason I carry all the equipment required if the opportunity arose.
I would be willing to have some practice in the middle of the night if that was necessary.

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2020  ·  #31
i think everybody will have there own take on this ,its whatever your happier with in your own head to have a content nights sleep but in the very few nights ive been out because im new to this u generally dont sleep very deeply anyway .were in a van convervsion and there is no alarm ,so just thinking of habbits to get into and also have a sort of plan to think of to get out quick if needs be,

Liked by: TommyS

Paul mcg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2020  ·  #32
A golf club mine is a 9 iron

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2020  ·  #33
where doyou buy or get these door alarms. and do they fit to the inside of the van door.

Adriasonic
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Adria Matrix Supreme
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2020  ·  #34
I keep a 15 inch mag-lite torch 🔦 by the bed.

Liked by: TommyS

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2020  ·  #35
<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2020  ·  #36
Cheap and cheerful piece of kit to give some extra piece of mind. Very simple to hook around the door handle, adjust the length and pop into the seatbelt receptacle and importantly very simple to open to get out in an emergency.

https://www.halfords.ie/motori…73587.html

As has been said before, it won't stop someone breaking the the glass and cutting it but it's a really good balance between security and ease of exit in an emergency.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.