12V supply has stopped working

Black Moose
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Burstner Ducato 1992 A Model - 12V supply Dead

· 
Posted: 04.09.2020  ·  #1
Hi there, this is my first post here - got this wagon 6 months ago and with COVID only beginning to drive it now so please forgive some newbie cluelessness.

I'm setting out the symptoms here at length to give you the full picture - any advice most welcome because the 12V electrics are completely dead at this stage.

I brought it to a dealer who says he doesn't know what's wrong, would take him a few days at dealer prices which would not be economic given age/value of vehicle so I'm trying to diagnose/fix it myself.

We bought the van in February, all electrics - lights, pump, shower etc working.

We got it home and all was working for a week or so when we showed it to people.

We didn't drive it anywhere for that week - it was parked in the yard.

After having it for a week my wife, her sister and kids stayed it in for a night to try it out.

They wanted to plug in an electric heater to the 220V supply so I hooked up the hookup lead for them, they plugged into the onboard 220V and all appeared to be working fine.

In the morning they woke up and everything was dead - lights, heater off etc

When they examined the hookup lead it had come loose or perhaps had never been plugged in properly.

Since that the 12V supply has not worked or is working very erratically.

The Cramer control panel will come on after a while plugged into the hookup lead and will show the engine battery at 14V, and the leisure battery at 0V or 0.1V.

Over many hours the leisure battery will gradually increase to 4-6-maybe 8 Volts but the pump never works when we try to switch it on.

The voltage reading on leisure battery never gets above 8V even after charging for 3 days.

The Burstner instruction manual says if the leisure battery reading falls below 8V to switch on the engine until it gets to 8V and then the hookup lead will take it from there to 12V. However, we've driven for hours at a time and the engine never seems to charge the leisure battery at all although when I measure the voltage of the leisure battery with a voltmeter it's at 12V.

Occasionally if we try to switch on the lights they will either come on momentarily and then die and it's back to square one with the control panel or they will come on for a few minutes and then die.

When the lights come momentarily and go off we can hear a click like a relay but we don't know which one or where.

I went out one night to lock up the van and when I opened the door the footwell light was on. Normally it never comes on.

The fridge will not work on 12 or 220V but will work on gas but to ignite the gas we have to connect the hookup lead.

We can light the gas heater [img][/img]- not sure if we need hookup lead to light that.

The red 12V on switch underneath one of the benches has two trip switches and half a dozen fuses - the trips have never tripped and the fuses are all intact.

I've checked as many fuses as I can find under the dash and under the hood and all are intact.

There are many relays and I don't know how to check them.

I came across a small linear block of 6 fuses (see pictures) near the engine battery which had fallen down near the engine and which has a black lead loose. There was a blown 25A fuse on this block which I replaced but didn't seem to fix anything. Am afraid to connect the loose black wire for fear or frying something. Have no idea if this block has anything to do with the 12V habitation system.

I have a wiring diagram which came with the camper I don't know if that's any use.

Losing my mind here - any advice welcome.

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

Re: Burstner Ducato 1992 A Model - Bed Over Cab

· 
Posted: 04.09.2020  ·  #2
I’ve had a few but I think your leisure battery is pooped! I could well be wrong

Liked by: panda

Black Moose
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Burstner Ducato 1992 A Model - Bed Over Cab

· 
Posted: 05.09.2020  ·  #3
Thanks Albert, I was thinking that myself - that when they ran the battery down flat the night they stayed in it it killed it off. But the dealer said he tried another battery on it and it didn't help. Is there some way to check if that is so without buying a new battery? Perhaps by using jump leads from car battery?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Burstner Ducato 1992 A Model - 12V supply Dead

· 
Posted: 05.09.2020  ·  #4
Your leisure battery is definitely dead and you may have damaged your charging unit trying to charge such a dead battery , I don't understand why this wasn't obvious to the dealer you brought it to , you possibly have some earthing problems around the van too

Liked by: panda, TommyS

Black Moose
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2020  ·  #5
Thanks a mil - will try new battery. The loose black lead under the bonnet - what should I do with it? Could it be the earth fault?

Black Moose
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2020  ·  #6
ps the loose black lead under the bonnet - what should I do with it? Could it be the earth fault?

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2020  ·  #7
The black lead under the bonnet is the earth lead,if it is loose then that is a fault.

Black Moose
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2020  ·  #8
There's a picture of it above - it seems to have come loose from the small fuse block but I don't know which pin to attach it to. There's one fuse that has a red lead on one side but no black lead on the other - presumably it's that one?

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2020  ·  #9
Black Moose,
Take a minute and find Talbot Owners Club, register and say hello in the New Members Section and then copy and paste your first post into the electrical section. There are some very knowledgeable people on there with vehicles of the same era as yours my own included.

They may not resolve this problem but I can assure you they will be of great assistance in the future.
It’s free but if you want into the Guides and How to section you just make a one off donation

Liked by: Black Moose, panda

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2020  ·  #10
I would say that the loose black earth lead should be attached to the top left hand spade.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2020  ·  #11
Quote by Albert the Talbot

Black Moose,
Take a minute and find Talbot Owners Club, register and say hello in the New Members Section and then copy and paste your first post into the electrical section

https://talbotoc.com/

Black Moose
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2020  ·  #12
Thanks guys - will join that Talbot club as advised and report back on any progress - maybe will be of use to other Burstner/Ducato owners.

Just another development this morning. The control panel LED, when it works and van plugged in, was saying Battery 1 = 14.4V, Battery 2 - 0.1V-8.0V.

On the basis that the camper's own charger wasn't working and the alternator wasn't charging the battery either, I connected my own 6A battery charger to the leisure battery overnight without disconnecting the battery from the van.

The charger runs in reverse from 12V to 0V - if your battery reads 12 it means its empty, if it reads 0 it's charged. The charger got to about 4V when I disconnected the charger, plugged in the hookup lead to see if the control panel detected any change in charge in battery but it's still reading only 0.0 - 0.1V.

But it's stopped reporting that B1 has 14.4V - maybe that's the charge voltage from the hookup charger and not the actual vehicle battery at all? Maybe I damaged something by putting charger directly to leisure battery without disconnecting?

I connected the loose black lead to top spade as advised but doesn't seem to make any difference either to control panel or to vehicle charging of battery when I started the engine.

Have it back on hookup lead now and am charging a spare battery to try connecting in place of the leisure battery.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Burstner Ducato 1992 A Model - 12V supply Dead

· 
Posted: 05.09.2020  ·  #13
bring the battery to a garage and have then put it on a 24hour charge and then ask the to test it .

It would also help to know where you are in the country.to suggest someone to send you to.
also but your location on your profile,your county or city.

Liked by: eirebus

Black Moose
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2020  ·  #14
HI Sprinter, will have battery tested. I'm near Dundalk and I had the camper up with Thompson's near Newry - they couldn't diagnose it...

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Burstner Ducato 1992 A Model - 12V supply

· 
Posted: 05.09.2020  ·  #15
Quote by Black Moose

HI Sprinter, will have battery tested. I'm near Dundalk and I had the camper up with Thompson's near Newry - they couldn't diagnose it...

About as usefully as pockets in socks.as you have found.

If the battery tests good then have a word with Leisure Technical Solutions.

Liked by: Black Moose, eirebus

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2020  ·  #16
If your van is presently at Thompson's then you are very close to the guy who used to do all their work.
Speak to Simon at LTS who are in Lisburn and I would be sure they will sort it for you .

Liked by: eirebus

Black Moose
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2020  ·  #17
Quote by sprinter

Quote by Black Moose

Cheers - I think I tried to get it to LTS before going to Thompson's but he was booked up - will try again. Probably needs an older guy who remembers how the 92 Burstner is put together and possible issues. Do you know is there someone in Ireland or UK who is THE old Burstner guy? Are Donaghey's in Letterkenny any better? I've suggested to the missus that we take a holiday near the best techie and just drop it in to him for a day or two. We just got it and need to get to know a good engineer.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2020  ·  #18
Look up your local auto electrician, might save you a lot of head scratching etc

Liked by: Black Moose, panda

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2020  ·  #19
Quote by Black Moose

Since that the 12V supply has not worked or is working very erratically.

The Cramer control panel will come on after a while plugged into the hookup lead and will show the engine battery at 14V, and the leisure battery at 0V or 0.1V.

Over many hours the leisure battery will gradually increase to 4-6-maybe 8 Volts but the pump never works when we try to switch it on.

The voltage reading on leisure battery never gets above 8V even after charging for 3 days.

The Burstner instruction manual says if the leisure battery reading falls below 8V to switch on the engine until it gets to 8V and then the hookup lead will take it from there to 12V. However, we've driven for hours at a time and the engine never seems to charge the leisure battery at all although when I measure the voltage of the leisure battery with a voltmeter it's at 12V.

I would say the Battery is most certainty Dead... See Chart.
I had the same problem the other day with my Lawn Mower battery exactly as described above .. When I put the load on it just went dead..
Got new battery all good now..

Liked by: Black Moose

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.09.2020  ·  #20
Quote by Black Moose

Quote by sprinter

Quote by Black Moose

Cheers - I think I tried to get it to LTS before going to Thompson's but he was booked up - will try again. Probably needs an older guy who remembers how the 92 Burstner is put together and possible issues. Do you know is there someone in Ireland or UK who is THE old Burstner guy? Are Donaghey's in Letterkenny any better? I've suggested to the missus that we take a holiday near the best techie and just drop it in to him for a day or two. We just got it and need to get to know a good engineer.

Donaghys will sort it out if you can't get Simon

Liked by: Black Moose

Black Moose
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2020  ·  #21
Took her for a spin and the voltage reading for Battery 2 now is 1.3V. The sparker for the fridge has mysteriously come back to life and so has the mains switch for the fridge which lights when you switch it on. The 220V sockets also are working on the hookup lead so it appears the mains functions now are working while it's just the 12V that's down...

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2020  ·  #22
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.