TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Portrush

· 
Posted: 17.08.2020  ·  #1
The council arrived this morning and put barriers around the sluce as it had been blocked. They were working at it and it appeared to be clear. A worker told me that the site was closing from 1200 and all had to vacate. He didnt say how long it was going to be closed but said that they were going to make alternative arrangements for people to dump

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Re: Portrush

· 
Posted: 17.08.2020  ·  #2

There were 3 vans parked here on the grass over the weekend and they put the barriers this morning. The guy said that the enforcement officers were coming to deal with the vans parked in the coach park

Liked by: Ally

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2020  ·  #3
Have they been enforcing on the people not paying? There is a lot more pay and display for cars etc now in Portrush so there should be more parking enforcement officers about I would think.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2020  ·  #4
I don't know I left at 1100 and there was a traffic warden heading in that direction.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2020  ·  #5
I can confirm that i was in that area working today and the complete Aires and coach park is barriered off and a sign stating carpark closed.
So much for the information from Causeway Coast and Glens council, your barriered off site looks amazing in your coastal town.

Why this sudden closure?
Does Portrush not need the income from Motorhomers?
Are Motorhomers not worthy of at least some information?
Is this just contempt for the Motorhoming fraternity?

These are questions i would not be asking if information was available.

Liked by: Nancy On Tour

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2020  ·  #6
If they had of fore warned the main Motorhome website for Ireland and the only Parking app for Ireland we could of made it known to tourists.

"Come to Portrush and use our Aire... Actually ..... Don't ... Just FO and go somewhere else after travelling for 150 miles to get here"

Liked by: Nancy On Tour, ntg

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2020  ·  #7
The council guy said it was closing because the emptying point was blocked. It had been cleared by the time I left.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2020  ·  #8
Quote by TommyS

The council guy said it was closing because the emptying point was blocked. It had been cleared by the time I left.

That Council (Causeway Coast and Glens) talk so much crap it is no wonder that it was blocked.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2020  ·  #9
If any council rep is viewing this then i would say that your Aires today is more akin to a building site.
So much for the welcoming view visitors get when aproaching Portrush from the direction of Portstewart.
When your caravan sites are closed and locked for the winter maybe someone will have the wit to see that a lot of Motorhomers are still out and about spending money, probably somewhere else that has been more welcoming to them.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2020  ·  #10
Very easy remedy don’t go to Portrush

Liked by: ntg, roadrunner

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2020  ·  #11
To be fair they are among very few councils that have put in Aires in NI or even Ireland and I would be cheesed off if I was them to see it being abused by some people not paying for it or overflowing onto the grass. I only used it one night and visitors from Wales parked next to me said you did not have to pay - as they were tipping their cooking fat down the storm drain next to their van. They were delighted that they had paid so little on their tour of Ireland so far and were heading for Donegal and the WAW next to do the same.

I paid my way of course and did not put anything down the drain. I did bite my tongue through as I didn’t think I would make an impression on them. I did point out the pay point and my parking receipt.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2020  ·  #12
Quote by gavster1

To be fair they are among very few councils that have put in Aires in NI or even Ireland and I would be cheesed off if I was them to see it being abused by some people not paying for it or overflowing onto the grass. I only used it one night and visitors from Wales parked next to me said you did not have to pay - as they were tipping their cooking fat down the storm drain next to their van. They were delighted that they had paid so little on their tour of Ireland so far and were heading for Donegal and the WAW next to do the same.

I paid my way of course and did not put anything down the drain. I did bite my tongue through as I didn’t think I would make an impression on them. I did point out the pay point and my parking receipt.

I can see where you are coming from but if it was policed then the offenders would be apprehended. Nothing is free in life but there are always those that will take their chance.
You do not park on a campsite and then decide if you will pay or not.
This is the same council that closed off the parking at whiterocks a few weeks ago,they are being dictated to by certain campsite owners but will never admit to it.
Let us all email them at the end of october and request somewhere to stop for the night to support the local business fraternity,maybe their building site will be opened again by then.

Liked by: Ally, MAURICE

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2020  ·  #13
It’s time to follow the European model with barriers. You put your credit card in when you arrive and again when you leave. Everyone knows where they stand. They can even provide EHU in some locations for €10. Wake up Ireland and start benefiting from Motorhome tourism.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2020  ·  #14
Portrush have got further than some councils in NI who I am fairly sure would have an Aire or two within their District in NI only for the intervention of a local campsite owner or two. Portglenone has gone too far in the direction with a barrier and booking system so it is not even like an Aire now it seems.

Liked by: TommyS

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2020  ·  #15
Portglenone = overkill and badly managed. Kathleen wanting to be everyone's friend and it getting booked out - well that's what it seemed like. I know some lately who have just turned up and got in. Bad advice was given.

Portrush = put in to appease turning away 50 Motorhome owners per night at Landsdowne with height barriers and high kerbs. 10 spaces.
No drive over drain, not enforced and also badly managed. Whilst I think it's good that there was an attempt made, the attempt and the follow on is poor.

Liked by: TommyS

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2020  ·  #16
Quote by gavster1

Portrush have got further than some councils in NI who I am fairly sure would have an Aire or two within their District in NI only for the intervention of a local campsite owner or two. Portglenone has gone too far in the direction with a barrier and booking system so it is not even like an Aire now it seems.

I agree about Portrush but it seems to be common knowledge that no one enforces the system put in place. Hence few seem to pay. Portglenone is not an Aire but a pre paid Motorhome parking site that does suit some travellers (If they know about it) and Campsite owners are (Agreed again) the stumbling block to expanding Motorhome Parking across Ireland.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.08.2020  ·  #17
As i am working in this area i can see what is going on,this morning council workers arrived and relocated the barriers to form a driveway to the Aires.
All the coach parking and any other space that a motorhome could stop has been fenced off,Aires now open so Portrush is open to 8 Motorhomes.
If anyone from another country arrives to see this they will really think someone is taking the piss.
Causeway Coast and Glens council must be so proud of themselves, and i hope that the traders in this area take it upon themselves to make their feelings known.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.08.2020  ·  #18
I'll update the app that it's open again.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2020  ·  #19
Portrush Aire is open again.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2020  ·  #20
The good news folks is that Causeway Coast and Glens council welcome 8 motorhomes to the main holliday resort on the North Coast.
If you are number 9 you can sling your hook,do not go to any of the near bye parking areas as they will have hight barriers.
This council have not concidered that their caravan parks will be closing very soon and the local traders will be hung out to dry.
Are we no longer welcome in that area?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2020  ·  #21
Were we ever welcome? The 10 original bays were like a token gesture. Portrush has loads of areas that are derelict that could be used for Motorhome Parking.
55 bays wouldn't be enough, but would bring massive revenue to a dieing town.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2020  ·  #22
JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2020  ·  #23
Not to worry, Covid will pass and we will once again avail of the excellent European facilities found on the continent.
It’s best to leave those little backward thinking, dark age, self interested councils get on with feathering their own nests and let us get on with travelling to and spending our money in excellent places like France & Spain and other such countries who know the value of our tourism sector.
Meanwhile, spend your hard earned money in areas that welcome us.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2020  ·  #24
The council are in massive debt and will make some back with recently introduced parking charges for car parks with barriers. Being devils advocate I would find it hard to justify paying to put in more spaces if some people do not pay for the spaces already provided and have to have the threat of enforcement to make them pay.

How does Cobh do it so much better - aside from having more spaces? I’m sure some people still don’t pay and the same at some of the big Aires on the south coast?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2020  ·  #25
Quote by gavster1

The council are in massive debt and will make some back with recently introduced parking charges for car parks with barriers. Being devils advocate I would find it hard to justify paying to put in more spaces if some people do not pay for the spaces already provided and have to have the threat of enforcement to make them pay.

How does Cobh do it so much better - aside from having more spaces? I’m sure some people still don’t pay and the same at some of the big Aires on the south coast?

Cobh is a pay&display area and part of the traffic wardens beat. Failure to P&D should get a fine, if the TW is doing the job. Although in 2019 approx €20k was collected so there must be a high rate of compliance.

The fee on private 'Aires' is collected without fail by the proprietor.

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, JJF, sprinter

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2020  ·  #26
Quote by baguette

Cobh is a pay&display area and part of the traffic wardens beat. Failure to P&D should get a fine, if the TW is doing the job. Although in 2019 approx €20k was collected so there must be a high rate of compliance.

The fee on private 'Aires' is collected without fail by the proprietor.

I thought I had read reports of some vans leaving dicks field without paying? I’m still toying with the idea of setting up a simple aire or CL just outside Newry but hearing of messers like that puts me off the idea. That’s why I pay notice so closely to reports of behaviour at existing Aires and even campsites.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2020  ·  #27
Quote by gavster1

I’m still toying with the idea of setting up a simple aire or CL just outside Newry but hearing of messers like that puts me off the idea. That’s why I pay notice so closely to reports of behaviour at existing Aires and even campsites.

Throw in a spin in the Jeep and ill stay Gavin :D :D

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2020  ·  #28
Quote by eirebus

Quote by gavster1

I’m still toying with the idea of setting up a simple aire or CL just outside Newry but hearing of messers like that puts me off the idea. That’s why I pay notice so closely to reports of behaviour at existing Aires and even campsites.

Throw in a spin in the Jeep and ill stay Gavin :D :D

Oh yeah good idea. its not a big vehicle so I’ll have to put you in the army trailer to maintain social distancing 😆

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, sprinter

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2020  ·  #29
Having travelled through many countries I would say the best operated Aires were the ones with a barrier at the entrance and exit.
You take your ticket at the entrance and pay just before you leave,at the point where you pay you have 15mins to exit.
There is a maximum stay time and if you loose your ticket you pay the maximum time.
Good honest motorhomers love these sites.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2020  ·  #30
ntg I sent an email today to Mr Mc Gaw telling him the same thing

Liked by: ntg

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Portrush

· 
Posted: 27.08.2020  ·  #31
don't let a few cheap b******s but you off doing your thing.
Always take reg numbers and names if you can get them.
In that way if you ever get a runner , you post it on every forum , facebook etc asking them to please get in touch with you as they left something behind in your place .

That way we all ,will know they left a dept behind.

Liked by: ntg

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2020  ·  #32
Nobody can expect councils or private owners to spend money to give us proper facilities for only a few of us to pay.
I have heard it said before that these barrier systems are expensive,well my counter to that is wardens have to be paid and they are only there some of the time.
Barriers are there all of the time and the freeloaders cannot beat that system,winners all around.

Liked by: Ally, CHAUSSON

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Portrush

· 
Posted: 27.08.2020  ·  #33
Campingcarparks in France have over 200 sites now with all the facilities, Ehu , black / grey dump , fresh water, barrier entry and exit, card operated and credit top up facility. With I presume a business plan to make a profit.
And all for from €8 TO €18 a night for a Unit and no mention of how many occupants.

WISH YOU (THEY) WERE HERE.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2020  ·  #34
Quote by sprinter

Campingcarparks in France have over 200 sites now with all the facilities, Ehu , black / grey dump , fresh water, barrier entry and exit, card operated and credit top up facility. With I presume a business plan to make a profit.
And all for from €8 TO €18 a night for a Unit and no mention of how many occupants.

Don’t you wonder why they haven’t expanded into Ireland. 🤭

Liked by: ntg, panda

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2020  ·  #35
Quote by Mark&Wendy

Quote by sprinter

If ever Ireland had a chance to sell itself to the Motorhoming fraternity it is now, if they do not take the chance then further fields will beckon.
I include myself in that group.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2020  ·  #36
Quote by Mark&Wendy

Quote by sprinter

Planning permission and general council burocracy would take years and more hassle than its worth

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.