baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Sligo

· 
Posted: 13.08.2020  ·  #1
Planned to spent the night in Sligo and enjoy the hospitality of the town, 'twas not to be.
The parking listed in The App seems to be shut down. After enduring the crazy traffic for nearly an hour looking for an alternative place to park we gave up and headed for Rosses Point.
Sligo looks like a lovely town to spend some time and money in, is there anyone out there with local knowledge who would put a safe overnight parking place in The App.

Liked by: Ally

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Sligo

· 
Posted: 13.08.2020  ·  #2
That's a pity, just added your review to app with a warning. :up:

Liked by: eirebus

vino
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: panel van conversion
Base Vehicle: citroen relay 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2020  ·  #3
Hi, any problems parking overnight at Rosses Point?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2020  ·  #4
Yes please tell Colin. What is parking at Roses point like? We are in Enniscrone tonight but will head on tomorrow, possibly to Rosses Point.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2020  ·  #5
8 mh's here at the moment, most of the levelest spots are gone.

Liked by: Ally, big D, The Rambler

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2020  ·  #6
On our third day here, heading off tomorrow.
Lovely spot but litter is a problem. Lots in the vacinity of the mobile chippie ☹ but little or none where the motorhomes are parked 😇.
Council litter bins are overflowing, more bins or more frequent emptying definitely required.

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, JettaJohn

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2021  ·  #7
baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2021  ·  #8
Quote by baguette

Get your submission in and get the proposed ban on motorhome overnight parking stopped.
Ocean fm today
Ocean fm yesterday

My submission, it's written in the plural as the submission is in the name of my local motorhome club.

Dear Mr Feeeney

We would like Sligo County Council to take into account the following with regard to the proposed revision of its parking Bye-Laws.
Firstly let us say that if issues exist around the inappropriate parking of motorhomes in your area it is simply the result of the lack of any provision of appropriate parking for such vehicles. It would be more profitable for County Sligo if its Council sought to provide such parking opportunities rather than create further difficulties for those who may wish to tour and visit your county.

As it stands Sligo town and its environs are pretty much devoid of parking places that are suitable for motorhomes. From personal experience, I can attest to this as during my touring in the summer of 2020 I visited Sligo town and after circulating for nearly an hour in its congested traffic I failed to find suitable parking and left the area without leaving any of my tourist Euros in your local economy.

The areas of Rosses Point, Strandhill and Mullaghmore are equally lacking designated motorhome parking places.

We would request that instead of exacerbating the situation with the regulations contained in the proposed Bye-Laws, Sligo County Council would set about providing appropriate overnight parking for tourists in motorhomes similar to that offered by other County Councils here in Ireland and widespread throughout Europe.
Excellent examples of regulated overnight motorhome parking, provided by a local authority, can be found in Dungarvan, Cobh, Castletownbere to name three very successful initiatives. For your information, we attach a copy of the Waterford City and County Council Draft Motorhomes, Motor and Campervan Parking Bye-Laws 2021 below which have been published in relation to Dungarvan's new motorhome parking area. Similar Bye-Laws were adopted a number of years ago by Cork County Council in relation to the motorhome parking area at Cobh.

It is interesting to note that your proposals mention special delineated bays for disabled persons and coaches but make no mention of special delineated bays for motorhomes. Motorhomes are after all private passenger vehicles in the same vehicle category as cars.
Motorhomes being motor vehicles, which when taxed, insured and have a current roadworthiness certificate, are endowed with the same legal right to use the 'public road' as defined in Section 2(1) of the Act, 1993; as any other qualifying vehicle.
Under EU and National laws and regulations, motor caravans fall within the same vehicle category of cars, namely, they are private passenger vehicles with not more than eight passenger seats plus a driver's seat.

Sligo County Council does not have the right to summarily prohibit, in a discriminatory manner and without reference to any road safety or traffic management requirements, any motorhome (motor caravan) from using the 'public road' or parking thereon when compliant with road safety regulations or general parking regulations applicable to other vehicles of the same legal category.

Before Sligo County Council turns its county into a no-go area for motorhome based tourists perhaps it might examine the highly successful initiative taken by Cork County Council which re-purposed, at negligible cost, an area within an existing car park to provide a thirty bay motorhome parking area plus services bay overlooking Cork Harbour and hopefully emulate that success story in your own county. SEE HERE

We are aware that local caravan park owners can be hostile to even the provision of regulated motorhome parking areas SEE HERE, however, it has been shown that they offer a different tourism product to that sought by many motorhome based tourists, and overnight motorhome parking areas can and do successfully co-exist with them. It should also be noted that most caravan parks are closed for six months of the year while the use of motorhomes is a twelve-month activity.

Sligo has much to offer tourists and we would urge Sligo County Council to explore the provision of facilities to encourage the motorhome based sector to the area and not pursue the proposed restrictions which will only serve to damage an important and valuable sector of tourism.

The control of anti-social behaviour by a small minority of those who travel/tour in motorhomes is more properly addressed by enforcing the provisions of the Litter Pollution Act 1997 and not by an indiscriminate denial of parking opportunities to a generally law-abiding and environmentally conscious sector of society.

Finally, we would respectfully recommend that you consult with Paraig Lynch Municipal District Officer Cobh or Robert O'Sullivan Executive Engineer of the same District, both of whom were involved in the project for their town, and who we are confident will share their very positive experience of the Cobh Motorhome Parking Area with Sligo County Council.

Finally, this club has significant experience in working with local authorities in relation to the provision of appropriate motorhome parking places and would be happy to share those experiences with Sligo County Council if it so wishes

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2021  ·  #9
Well written Colin 👍👍

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2021  ·  #10
Excellent, very comprehensive. Thank you.

Davy

Liked by: sprinter

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2021  ·  #11
Very well written,

Hope the Sligo Co Co take the time to read it and understand what is being pointed out,

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.04.2021  ·  #12
Killerwhale
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Fiat Ducato Burstner Motorcaravan
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.04.2021  ·  #13
Fair play to you very comprehensive reply!

Liked by: CHAUSSON

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2021  ·  #14
baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2021  ·  #15
Got about 10 minutes on air at about 09.20 but can't find any 'listen back' facility for the station or podcast of the interview.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2021  ·  #16
That’s a pity. How did it go?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2021  ·  #17
Quote by The Rambler

That’s a pity. How did it go?

Hard to say myself but others who listened in said it went well

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2022  ·  #18
I see now the car park behind the Strand Bar at Strandhill has signs saying €15 for overnight parking. The €2 on exit was too good to be true. Is the car park belong to the pub?

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Paddy the Pilote Galaxy 78MX
Base Vehicle: Citroen 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2022  ·  #19
I saw those signs too, doesn’t say where to pay though.
I would presume it’s in the strand bar.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2022  ·  #20
Quote by The Rambler

I see now the car park behind the Strand Bar at Strandhill has signs saying €15 for overnight parking. The €2 on exit was too good to be true. Is the car park belong to the pub?

The carpark is owned by the pub, cheaper than the campsite and open all year although no services

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2022  ·  #21
Well I just asked the barman about it ( it’s not 5 o’clock I know, don’t judge me) and he said it’s nothing to do with them and those signs only went up in September. He reckons the car park belongs to the amusements. And yes the signs say nothing about where to pay. Let’s see who comes looking for it

Liked by: ntg, sprinter

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2022  ·  #22
Most of that end of Strandhill is owned by the 2 brothers who own the strand bar ,I stayed overnight last year for the € 2 , but I asked in the bar was it ok, I don't know anything about the €15 new charge though or who you'd pay it to,ask for Dave,a big lad behind the bar , he's full-time barman and knows what's what

Liked by: The Rambler

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.