rustynutz
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Eura-mobil Integra 810
Base Vehicle: 2003 Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Freezer working, fridge not

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #1
I've tried searching but haven't come across this specific problem. My Dometic 3 way fridge freezer compartment is working perfectly, but the fridge isn't working at all, its reading 11-12 C. I'm at a loss, any advice would be appreciated

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Freezer working, fridge not

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #2
How old is it?

It could be on its way out. If I understand it correctly, how the liquid works it will cool the top of the fridge, in this case, the freezer, before cooling the bottom. So it's not cyclying correctly.

I tried to resuscitate an American RV absorption fridge with the guidance of a fridge expert but only the freezer would chill.

Then again I could be completely wrong. 🥴

Liked by: rustynutz

mtoolan
Craic'er
Subject:

Fridge not cooling

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #3
I had that problem and the freezer was fine and the fridge didn’t cool probably.
I happen to be in an Aire in France at the time and there was a number for a Motorhome repair service. I called and a chap came out and said that the fridge needed a service he replaced the gas jet and cleaned the flu and it worked fine since.I hope that is some help to you.Regards Micheál

Liked by: Ally, baguette, eirebus, Mark&Wendy, panda, TommyS, +deleted user

rustynutz
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2020  ·  #4
Quote by Ally

How old is it?

It could be on its way out. If I understand it correctly, how the liquid works it will cool the top of the fridge, in this case, the freezer, before cooling the bottom. So it's not cyclying correctly.

I tried to resuscitate an American fridge with the guidance of a fridge expert but only the freezer would chill.

Then again I could be completely wrong. 🥴

Its 17 years old, it's never worked great, I changed the board last year when it was not freezing at all and had hoped that cured it

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2020  ·  #5
Have you had the jet checked that it's the correct size for the model.
too small a jet = too small a flame = not enough cooling.
Disregard the foregoing if the cooling is also poor on electric.

MerlinTheMotorhome
merlinthemotorhome
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2020  ·  #6
Freezer working but the damn fridge Is showing 11c. Was all working last week.

Had it on all night and looks like the same issue and the same type of fridge. 2009 model

Anyway, was wondering if you got yours sorted Rusty?

rustynutz
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2020  ·  #7
I did, it turns out the thermistor (tiny little sensor about the size of the head of a match attached to a wire) had come out of the retaining clip and was making contact with the underside of the ice box.

The thermistor is like a thermostat inside the fridge that measures how cold it is in there and sends a signal to the control panel to either cool down more, or stop cooling, depending on the temp. Because mine was touching the below freezing ice box, the controller thought the fridge was already too cold so adjusted the temp accordingly.

Once I I clipped it into its retainer (its located on a plastic cover, clipped to the aluminium finned unit on the back of your fridge) the temp started dropping almost immediately and has been holding a steady +7C since (I thought this was still a little too warm but I checked the spec of my fridge and that's the temp the fridge is supposed to run at, keeps me beer nice and cool anyway and that's the main thing!)

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.