Danjk
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Autotrail Tribute 720
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 130
Subject:

Staycation lobbying opportunity

· 
Posted: 10.08.2020  ·  #1
Having been round Ireland for the last 4 weeks, I have come across both positive and negative press on motorhomes and parking (yesterdays Sunday Times had a feature with some excellent commentary by the owner of Goosey Island in Sneem) . I have also noted a considerable amount more motorhomes on the road everywhere I have visited. Campsites are full and with the absence of motorhome parking facilites has led to some motorhome overcrowding in some locations and some local hostility which is not ideal.

It seems to me that all of this presents an opportunity to lobby/influence those officials and politicians to the benefits of providing Aires and locations for grey and black water disposal and to the spending power of this tourist sector across Ireland. My first question is, has there been any approach made recently to Ministers with tourism in their respective portfolios? I would also assume that local authorities would have a wider group of chief executives/senior tourism officers and local elected representative groups who meet regularly to discuss issues of mutual interest across the country. Again has any approach been made to such groups. Finally, has anyone considered approaching Circle K centrally to see if they would be willing to roll out country wide motorhome service facilities at their many filling stations similar to those services provided in Kenmare.

Happy to discuss and get involved.

Danjk

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Staycation lobbying opportunity

· 
Posted: 10.08.2020  ·  #2
Happy to discuss also and will. I am however waiting on others interjecting here ;)

Colin Mc is "the man" in Ireland.

Liked by: eirebus, JJF, sprinter

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2020  ·  #3
Happy to add my voice in a campaign. Just over midway through a two week staycation without any campsites or bookings. Plenty of insights from the experience.

Liked by: Ally, sprinter

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2020  ·  #4
Lots of lobbying going on at local level and also some positive media coverage being generated.
Failte Ireland have produced a document recognising Motorhome Parking Areas as valuable tourism infracture and which contains guidance on layout and facilities based on research which included site visits to Cobh, Eyeries, Moneylands Farm and other places. AFAIK recommendations has been circulated to county councils.
The big issue is the anti motorhome parking area stance of the Irish Caravan and Camping Council who represent the interests of the campsite owners. The ICCC have influence with FI and county councils and whose members even went so far as to threaten legal action against Cork County Council during the setting up of the Cobh Motorhome Parking Area. See Here

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2020  ·  #5
I hope to have some news soon regarding this topic in NI. Bear with me a few days and I'll post more.

Danjk
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2020  ·  #6
Danjk
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2020  ·  #7
Danjk
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2020  ·  #8
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.