Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

New Portrush Aire

· 
Posted: 16.03.2013  ·  #1
21 stopover places for Motorhomer's has now been reduced to 10.

Ramore head now also disabled for Motorhomers, a hell of a lot more than 10 vans visited there.

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Re: New Portrush Aire

· 
Posted: 16.03.2013  ·  #2
vote with your pound

stay out of portrush
its obvious they dont want us

plenty of places on north coast to stay for free

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.03.2013  ·  #3
Yes indeed Bob I've always believed never go where youre not wanted. Mind you Portrush could do with the pounds that Motorhomers spend. It's their loss there are lots of other nice places.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.03.2013  ·  #4
It is a pity the shop keepers in Portrush don't read this forum. It might get a better result.

pogonogo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.03.2013  ·  #5
We that live in this wee country can live without Portrush however I feel sorry for our friends across the water (the french and Germans and Italians) who make us so welcome when we visit and has facilities in every town and village , when they arrive on our shores all they find is "no overnight parking". One day our councils will catch on and the main reason I book the boat for 4 to six weeks every year for the continent.

Viktor
Full Member - Likes the Underworld film series
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.03.2013  ·  #6
Crazy isn't it - we're heading for a triple dip recession and income is at the critical stage for many small restaurants and shops with I'm sure Portrush no exception.

And their council is doing their literal best to discourage the spending of money from a considerable market.

🇧🇭

my wee nightmare
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.03.2013  ·  #7
Exactly, I don't understand the greed of the council members,maybe they have a vested interest .the foreign visitors that bring their motorhome her must be wondering what is going on . No free parking but in France alone over 4,000 aires. Do what I,m doing don,t go anywhere near it. The Easter weekend Kelly,s is charging 30pounds a night. My answer to that is bangle it.

Michelinman
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: rossdowneyleisures…
My Motorhome: Autotrail Arapaho
Base Vehicle: Ducato x250 2008
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.03.2013  ·  #8
A disgrace that this should happen in this economic climate. The councilors in Coleraine are living in the dark ages, The amount of ratepayers money they have spent to keep the Motorhomes away from Ramore Head is huge.We always shopped in the White House in Portrush but that is not going to happen anymore. I agree with my wee nightmare to stay away from it and the shop owners will miss the Motorhomers bigtime. As far as the Caravan Parks are concerned £30 a night and you must stay no less than 3 nights, a total ripoff .That maybe ok for the Easter weekend when you will be able to stay 3 nights but its the same on an ordinary weekend where you would be going home again on Sunday afternoon for work on Monday. :bandit: :bandit:

pogonogo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.03.2013  ·  #9
Two years ago in Saint-tropez in France on the 14th July (which is a big holiday for the french) the aire we stayed on 50 mts from the beech was 8.50 euro a night. With over 200 vans the town surely made a small fortune from us.

RO 06
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.03.2013  ·  #10
Quote by pogonogo

Two years ago in Saint-tropez in France on the 14th July (which is a big holiday for the french) the aire we stayed on 50 mts from the beech was 8.50 euro a night. With over 200 vans the town surely made a small fortune from us.

Have you any coordinates for it.Will be heading that area in july.
Used a great aires in Narbonne Plage last summer for €10 per night and we were parked against the dunes of the med.

Julieann
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.04.2013  ·  #11
Could it be anything to do with someone on the council owning a couple of caravan parks in Portrush. Such a shame Portrush is our seaside town where our children should have lots of memories from - the council ruining it for everyone.

ianmorgan
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2013  ·  #12
Quote by Julieann

Could it be anything to do with someone on the council owning a couple of caravan parks in Portrush. Such a shame Portrush is our seaside town where our children should have lots of memories from - the council ruining it for everyone.

not satisfied with getting rid of MH they are now trying to ban dogs from being walked on west strand beach.i believe that same councillor owns the white house shop in the town.financial gain,he should not have any involvmeant in the MH case.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2013  ·  #13
The best thing we all can do is simply BOYCOTT. Portrush and spend our money elsewhere. There are lots of other places nicer tha n Portrush who will gladly accept our money and welcome us.

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Portrush

· 
Posted: 02.04.2013  ·  #14
We used to go down park up and go down the street like most others, do the shops and have a meal often in the Harbour Bar come back late stay over and leave in the morning, not possible now, so the ratepayers are loosing out. where is the blame ??
Guys there is no point in trying to go where we are not wanted, there is a general change in attitude toward motorhomes throughout this island, but even in France there are towns who do not not encourage motorhomes.
Support the towns and villages that go out of their way to encourage motorhome visitors.

flans van
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2013  ·  #15
Willi couldn't agree with You more on that,go to where they welcome us :up: Emily

Michelinman
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: rossdowneyleisures…
My Motorhome: Autotrail Arapaho
Base Vehicle: Ducato x250 2008
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2013  ·  #16
My Daughter was in Portrush on Easter Sunday and informed me that there were a total of 4 Motorhomes in the park behind the fire station. and 2 parked on the grass at the top of ramore head carpark in front of the quest houses. Still to many going to where their not wanted, but a big change from a possible 20/25 on an Easter Sunday a year ago. :up:

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2013  ·  #17
Quote by Michelinman

My Daughter was in Portrush on Easter Sunday and informed me that there were a total of 4 Motorhomes in the park behind the fire station. and 2 parked on the grass at the top of ramore head carpark in front of the quest houses. Still to many going to where their not wanted, but a big change from a possible 20/25 on an Easter Sunday a year ago. :up:

Surprised no-one has commented on this. Look at the trade Portrush business's have lost compared to last year and that's only one weekend!

As the Motorhome Association no longer uses this website or takes account any opinions of it's members, we should be speaking our minds. There is certain individuals from Councils reading this website, so let them know how we feel, isn't that what a forum is for?

Coleraine Council has a lot to answer to business's in Portrush.

Lets make these points clear:

1. Motorhomers have no need for a campsite

2. Motorhomers will never stay in a hotel, if there is no parking in that area they will go elsewhere. But they WILL eat & drink in a hotel if the hotel provides parking.

3. Motorhomers spend money wherever they visit, on food, diesel, supermarkets, off-licence, gifts etc

4. Campsite owners are in it for their own gain, they should help councils by providing cheap overnight stops for Motorhomers with no facilities other than fresh water and waste emptying, why not get some money from Motorhomers instead of none? basic business principal.

5. Motorhomers will boycott your area if they cannot park, leading of course to lost revenue for local business's.

6. Motorhomers need very little amenities, we are not caravanners, we do not need electric, we do not need two spaces, we do not need awnings, we do not need tables and chairs, we are self contained.

7. What we do need is a water tap and access to a sewer - simple as that, not a fancy French style system, very little money needs to be spent, by providing these simple amenities YOUR town will be visited time and time again by local motorhome owners & tourists from other countries.

Agree or disagree? Feel free to add your points to the list :-)

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2013  ·  #18
Well said Ally. I totally agree with your summary. I will never be back in Portrush with the Motorhome at least until they change their attitude towards us.

Viktor
Full Member - Likes the Underworld film series
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2013  ·  #19
Agreed. It's time for council's to waken up to reality.

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

portrush

· 
Posted: 04.04.2013  ·  #20
Agree, only thing motorhome users are already convinced. Any ideas on how to convert everyone else.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2013  ·  #21
Now Willie you are talking business. They would feel the pinch if everyone boycotted them.

ianmorgan
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.04.2013  ·  #22
how about a MH meet in Coleraine council carpark,just to let them see what a MH has on board,maybe how long we can stay off grid on their doorstep. :D

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.04.2013  ·  #23
Wow now there's an idea. The would probably have us all clamped.

alien alan
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.04.2013  ·  #24
Quote by willie

Agree, only thing motorhome users are already convinced. Any ideas on how to convert everyone else.

Why not start a group who inform business owners in areas where this happens? I suppose they would need to know the Motorhomers are using their shops, bars and restaurants first.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.04.2013  ·  #25
I have been handing out business cards to everyone when we meet. I got them printed and they read ......

Motorhomecraic.com

Your business was visited by a Motorhome owner today.

If your council provided parking for Motorhomers this would be a common occurence.

Help us support your business by recommending Motorhome Parking facilities to your council/town manager.

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

good idea

· 
Posted: 11.04.2013  ·  #26
See I knew there were good ideas out there, that is a very positive one!

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2013  ·  #27
just wondering, if Portush traders have a 'chamber of commerce' & yes they are part of Causeway Chambers of Commerce

Perhaps this would be a good organisation to inform what the council/DOE are doing on their behalf.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2019  ·  #28
It's nice to look back at the history of Motorhomecraic.

This was Portrush 16.03.2013

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2019  ·  #29
A lot of names there that I haven’t seen on the site in a long time

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2019  ·  #30
Quote by CHAUSSON

A lot of names there that I haven’t seen on the site in a long time

A lot of them still log on. Some have gone, some went to the dark side(FB), some sold their vans. Live moves on.

What's important is that we are still here :)

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2019  ·  #31
Not been to Portrush lately, has anything changed?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2019  ·  #32
Portrush Aire ticking along nicely as far as I'm aware. Was at it a few months back.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2019  ·  #33
Is it worth going to ,is there much in portrush, last time we where there most of the shops had closed down

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2019  ·  #34
If we're going that direction we always seem to end up at The Brown Trout Aghadowey, then just use the infamous Ramore Head car park through the next day. We noticed a few motorhomes that seemed intending to stay over down near the Sealife visitor place (Coastal Zone) in the Ramore car park. Not sure that would be worth the risk :(

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2019  ·  #35
There is a new toilet block beside the Aire, and a decent looking black disposal point on an outside wall. Otherwise seems the same.

Davy

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2019  ·  #36
Quote by nipper

If we're going that direction we always seem to end up at The Brown Trout Aghadowey, then just use the infamous Ramore Head car park through the next day. We noticed a few motorhomes that seemed intending to stay over down near the Sealife visitor place (Coastal Zone) in the Ramore car park. Not sure that would be worth the risk :(

The only way that you will not get a ticket down there is if you have a disabled badge.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2019  ·  #37
Portrush has had a large injection of cash before the Open. Place was buzzing that week. We have parked in the Aire during the day, but a bit open for our liking for an overnight. Much prefer the council sites towards Portstewart. But the best value is the MHC Club site in Portstewart. It is a Craicer.

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2019  ·  #38
MHC Club site in Portstewart. It is a Craicer.
Where is this? Is it on the App?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2019  ·  #39
Quote by nipper

MHC Club site in Portstewart. It is a Craicer.
Where is this? Is it on the App?

No it’s not on the app, there is quite a few stops and CL’s solely for use by MHCC members that are not public knowledge..... one of the benefits of being a club member.... see HERE.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.