Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Carlingford Complaints

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #1
The following is an email set to me by Sergeant John Brady from Carlingford Garda Station.

Hello Ally,

I am a Sergeant in Carlingford Garda Station in County Louth.

I have 2 complaints in relation to Motorhomes parking on both Piers in Carlingford. I would be grateful if you would publish this on one of your forums that it is illegal to park any vehicle on a Pier/Harbour unless it is an emergency vehicle. Sometimes the Motorhomes block the signage stating no parking allowed on the Pier.

I am working with the Council to improve signage however if you could provide any further assistance, I would be grateful

Kind regards

John Brady Sergeant,
Carlingford Garda Station,
Carlingford, Co Louth

petereire
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: autoquest 270
Base Vehicle: Talbot express
Subject:

Re: Carlingford Complaints

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #2
i was up there over the weekend staing in the 4 seasons at a family function,there were 3 campers there for most of the day on sat,2 friday but not blocking anything from what i could see.

sootyrex
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Elddis
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2020  ·  #3
I’m not too sure if his statement is right that it’s illegal to park on any pier or harbour, but would definitely respect his request, especially with the great facility at the marina available. There was a tragedy on that pier not that long ago when a young lady on a night out was drowned, they probably also have that in mind

Liked by: Ally, GMAC, JJF, sprinter

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2020  ·  #4
There are signs stating no overnight parking at the castle pier which have been there since I started motorhoming 10 years ago so anyone who is a regular to carlingford would know this and I’ve also seen Motorhomes blocking the outdoor pursuits centre on the other pier as stated before about the tragedy of the young girl drowning I wouldn’t have liked to have been on the pier that night and maybe blocking the emergency services from doing there job ,there a great Aire in the marina, but what I think puts people of is the walk into town ,but weather your unable due to I’ll health or just to lazy to walk into town there is a good taxi service And paddy Darin or Johnny will give you the number or even call him for you ( no excuse) ,I also hope that since we’ve been informed by the Garda and it has been put on the forum for all to see that no Motorhome craic members will be caught bringing or fantastic club into disrepute by parking on the pier ( I know we’re not a club but I couldn’t find the right word 🤪)

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2020  ·  #5
It’s good that the Garda have reached out and touched base with us, I fully understand their concerns and appreciate their interaction with us and recognises us as a respected point of contact regarding responsible attitudes towards motorhoming in general. It is up to all of us to respect locals and lead by example if we can.
100% agree with @hillton9 , with the wonderful resource that is the marina there is absolutely no excuse for not using it and behaviour like this will only lead to restrictions being instigated & restrict our freedoms and ability to enjoy these wonderful places.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2020  ·  #6
GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2020  ·  #7
Quote by JJF

It’s good that the Garda have reached out and touched base with us, I fully understand their concerns and appreciate their interaction with us and recognises us as a respected point of contact regarding responsible attitudes towards motorhoming in general. It is up to all of us to respect locals and lead by example if we can.
100% agree with @hillton9 , with the wonderful resource that is the marina there is absolutely no excuse for not using it and behaviour like this will only lead to restrictions being instigated & restrict our freedoms and ability to enjoy these wonderful places.

Totally agree @JJF. It's great that they contacted Ally...now let's hope none of our members go against the consensus to not park on the pier and use the marina facility provided. At a cost of €10 it's very reasonable.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2020  ·  #8
As someone who loves a wildcamp as much as anyone I really do not get it when we continually campaign for Aires parking and then when we get a council area who give us our wish at a reasonable price people just decide to ignore the investment and annoy the locals.
If the Aires is full then that is a different storey but move to somewhere that will not upset the locals.
A question I have for the people who brag about going for days or weeks for free is, where do you empty your toilet,where do you empty your grey water,where do you get fresh water,where do you get rid of your rubbish?
These services do cost money and if you are not willing to pay something towards them then who should?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Carlingford Complaints

· 
Posted: 29.07.2020  ·  #9
I totally agree with you Norman, it is said build it provide it and they will use it.? but some will ABUSE IT, last Saturday I called over to Norman view to have a word with Joe about what his no show policy was, since he is taking bookings and is very busy .
He has been working on trust but is going to have to go to the expence of a card machine because of people not turning up. He had 5 no shows last Saturday despite Emails and phone calls and at the same time had to turn away 3 vans.
This is a guy doing a great job and getting a kick in the You Know whats by Selfish b******s.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2020  ·  #10
He should get name and reg number for the booking. If they no show without paying, then ban them from staying again.
It’s understandable why the likes of Dick’s field and Frank’s field don’t take bookings

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2020  ·  #11
Hi Martin I could not agree more with you,in our recent journey South as far as Dingle over the July Hollidays we were met with nothing but respect but on a couple of occasions I was asked for credit card details.
On questioning this I was told that it was now common for people to book and not turn up.
These campsites agreed to not use my credit card unless I did not turn up and when I met the campsite owners you would not believe what the human population are capable of.
We had a great Holliday and cannot wait until next time.

Liked by: Ally, brenlixnaw, Europa, JJF, MAURICE, panda, sprinter, +deleted user

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.