Wanted - older camper van or advice on buying older camper van

Help - complete newbie!

TinyCuppa
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2020  ·  #1
Hi all

just came across the forum when trying to do some research on what to look out for when buying an older camper.

Partner and I have been trying sporadically to buy something over the last couple of yers, looking on done deal and usually just missing out on what sounded like the perfect van. Really trying hard this year and still missed out on about 4 the last week or so, we are always too far away to get there first and competition seems to be hot!

Hoping to get to see one tonight. But really not at all sure what we should be looking out for.

Budget is under 10k. we want a tidy 4-5 berth. Partner is very tall so it needs to not be too tiny.

Looking at lots of Fiat Ducatos from the 80s and early 90s in that budget.

Anyone got tips on what to look for when we go to see this one this evening?

It didn't pass the last DOE (last month I think) but seem to be minor issues, vendor was happy to send through the report. Just not sure really what we are looking for though. The seller said it makes a noise when starting but that goes away once driving... - is that something to be wary of?

Also they are not sure if the fridge etc works off gas as have only ever used battery or plugged in -

If anyone has any top tips I'd be very grateful. Or suggestions on where else to look if this one doesn't work out...

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

Re: Wanted - older camper van or advice on buying older camper van

· 
Posted: 14.07.2020  ·  #2
Damp DAMP and more damp. Check everywhere inside for signs of damp leaks and soft spongy spots in walls and floors. Rust in all the usual places but usually not as hard to rectify as damp. This is probably the worst year to be looking for a camper, demand is very high at the moment with everyone staying home for holidays. Be careful, there's a lot of scam artists out there just waiting for your money. Don't part with any cash unless you have something in return. Get seller to operate and demonstrate all water and gas systems & toilet &shower & waste dump. If you put in your county it might help. Good luck with the search.

Liked by: eirebus

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2020  ·  #3
Fridge not working on gas is a big issue to my mind. If you want to use Aires or free park for the night. They generally only work in 12 volt when engine is running. Again. Damp and rust. Your two enemies in any van

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2020  ·  #4
Quote by Daffysparks

Damp and rust. Your two enemies in any van

Bingo!

petereire
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: autoquest 270
Base Vehicle: Talbot express
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2020  ·  #5
am in the same boat im afraid,and to be honest loosing heart,just be careful and make sure you check everything,and watch out for the total heaps of crap that some are selling,best of luck with your search

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

on Wanted - older camper van or advice on buying older camper van

· 
Posted: 14.07.2020  ·  #6
Try to be a bit more specific about what your asking . your going to look at something ???.
Make ,Model Manufacturer,Engine etc.
If your looking for 4/5 berth do you needs belts on all seats or is it just for the room.
put everything on a list and tick it off as you get answers from the seller.if he can't answer them consider walking away.
It's your money,once you give it over your never getting it back, you will get a lot of excuses as to why not.

you have got a lot of good advise so far.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2020  ·  #7
Friends just bought what looked like a brilliant van. Major damp problem. As before DAMP, DAMP, DAMP. Everything else can be fixed or adapted for your needs. Worth looking for a van with a recent Habitation check/certificate.

petereire
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2020  ·  #8
this up an hour on donedeal,lhd but hope its good for you,at 9k maybe worth a look?

petereire
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2020  ·  #9
sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2020  ·  #10
Go carefully the test info is incorrect.

CRW Details for vehicle 98KY4393CRW Expiry date /Next CVR test due: 13 Mar 2020CRW Serial Number: A002714501

so it is not in test and whenever its done it will be backdated to 13 March.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2020  ·  #11
TinyCuppa
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2020  ·  #12
feel I am in out of my depth tbh!!

we went and saw a 1993 4 berth Fiat and put down small deposit to hold it. The guy selling seems to be buying and doing up vans for CVRT then selling on. The CVRT had been passed day before we looked at it - but only runs til Jan as had been let lapse. He told us he was selling for some other fellows brother but couldn't show us anything working so said he will get everything figured out and show when we come to pick van up or we can have deposit back (hmmm...) he just didn't know where the switch was to demo everything

we thought he was kosher enough as we visited his home, he has a big workshop out to one side where he seems to do his fixing up etc

Anyway - planning to go and look again/collect it tomorrow if everything working (assuming insurance comes through in time)

He says everything is now working fine, said with the fridge you have to charge it up off mains at home then it works from gas - as I said am a complete novice so not sure if that makes sense - can anyone confirm?

It's a neat little van, short chassis so even I feel ok driving it. Only has one seat belt in back - do you know is it possible to get another fitted? it's probably only one as there is only one forward facing seat in back

CVRT says 114k km on it, also though it says make and model unspecified/unknown - would that be cause for alarm?

the price we agreed came to €9,400 so we may well be paying covid-year prices I don't know. Saw some absolute heaps of awfulness for around €7,000 so given this seems to drive ok and be neat and tidy inside we thought it might do as a starter

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2020  ·  #13
The fridge should work on gas without the need for electric. You Need to ensure it is not DAMP. If you are not able to test this yourself find someone who can before you hand over any more money.
Video the hand over and the demonstration of how to operate the heating, hot water, all taps, cooker, fridge, shower etc. If the seller doesn’t want his face filmed then concentrate on his hands and ensure you can pick up his voice.

Liked by: eirebus

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2020  ·  #14
Quote by TinyCuppa

feel I am in out of my depth tbh!!

we went and saw a 1993 4 berth Fiat and put down small deposit to hold it. The guy selling seems to be buying and doing up vans for CVRT then selling on. The CVRT had been passed day before we looked at it - but only runs til Jan as had been let lapse. He told us he was selling for some other fellows brother but couldn't show us anything working so said he will get everything figured out and show when we come to pick van up or we can have deposit back (hmmm...) he just didn't know where the switch was to demo everything

we thought he was kosher enough as we visited his home, he has a big workshop out to one side where he seems to do his fixing up etc

Anyway - planning to go and look again/collect it tomorrow if everything working (assuming insurance comes through in time)

He says everything is now working fine, said with the fridge you have to charge it up off mains at home then it works from gas - as I said am a complete novice so not sure if that makes sense - can anyone confirm?

It's a neat little van, short chassis so even I feel ok driving it. Only has one seat belt in back - do you know is it possible to get another fitted? it's probably only one as there is only one forward facing seat in back

CVRT says 114k km on it, also though it says make and model unspecified/unknown - would that be cause for alarm?

the price we agreed came to €9,400 so we may well be paying covid-year prices I don't know. Saw some absolute heaps of awfulness for around €7,000 so given this seems to drive ok and be neat and tidy inside we thought it might do as a starter

The advice I would offer you is to get in touch with someone who knows a bit about these vehicles and get them to go with you to inspect it, there can be lots of problems waiting.
As for the fridge the electricity has nothing to do with it running on gas other than charging the battery that may be required for the igniter.

TinyCuppa
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2020  ·  #15
thanks folks - problem is I don't know anyone who knows about these things. Unless any of you friendly people are around the Limerick area and at a loose end tomorrow!!

wrt the fridge - I just wanted to figure out whether he is talking through his hat or not. I assumed it should run from battery and/or gas. He said it takes a while to get cold, so I am nervous that it won't be cold when we get there tomorrow and he will say that's cos it takes aa while but will assure us it is working and we will later find out it's not

it didn't seem to be damp. no smell and everything seemed firm enough to touch

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2020  ·  #16
"He told us he was selling for some other fellows brother but couldn't show us anything working "

I do not like the sound of that. Please do not part with your hard-earned until you get the vehicle checked out by an independent knowledgeable person.
A good friend of mine recently dodged the bullet when a knowledgeable person he brought along found serious damp problems. He said the fee he paid was a small price for avoiding paying €32k for a heap of trouble.

Liked by: GMAC

TinyCuppa
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2020  ·  #17
thanks Lifer - where would one find such an independent knowledgeable person?

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2020  ·  #18
It’s easy for me to say but 27 years old and €9400 is quite some gamble. Will you get any warranty? You could be investing in a money pit, equally it could be great.

Liked by: GMAC, ntg

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2020  ·  #19
I think you need the services of an SQI.
Suitable Qualified individual.
Get in touch with the insurance assessor of Ireland and ask for one in your area.it will cosy you but cheaper in the long run.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2020  ·  #20
Request that the owner of the vehicle comes to meet you and shows you how everything works.
Any money spent on getting a suitable person to inspect it will be money well spent.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2020  ·  #21
Well Tinycuppa how did you get on? Did you purchase and was the advice offered of any help to you.
To often people register and ask a question then disappear which makes it difficult for the next person who needs help.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Liked by: Paul mcg, sprinter, TAYLOR., +deleted user

TinyCuppa
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #22
I'm still here and very grateful to everyone who took the time to respond. We didn't go to pay for and collect the van Saturday as we had planned because we haven't got insurance sorted out yet, there seems to be a delay with processing for everyone. Our plan was to get that sorted and then go up and check absolutely everything else that we as novices could possibly check and if anything didn't work to walk away, leaving the deposit if necessary.

I looked up "insurance assessor of Ireland" as suggested by Sprinter above but couldn't see anything that might help in terms of someone to come and look at it with us. It seemed to be all just businesses that deal with insurance claims.

I would love someone qualified to take a look, but I just don't know how to find them.

So the advice has been great, I am just struggling to follow it!

One other thing about this particular van, se couldn't see rust anywhere, but the front bumper and various parts of the van have been repainted to look neat and tidy. Is that something that should necessarily worry us? underneath seems to have been coated also.

The inside of the van is in very very good nick, even the toilet roll holder in the bathroom is intact, all knobs and buttons are on and working (apart from fridge which has a different mechanism on the top) which does suggest me that it has been well looked after. But as a previous poster said it is a lot of money for such an old vehicle and we could be wide eyed walking into something horrible without knowing...

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #23
Hi Anne Sorry I should have given you clearer information to work with, if you follow the link, on the RSA website to the SQI.or go directly to the Institute of Automotive Engineer Assessors.
on their web site scroll down find an engineer section fill out the 3 questions.
Location , ( where you live )
Country ( Ireland )
I would suggest Pre-purchase for the 3rd answer.
if for instance if you imput say Limerick it gives you a list of 10 within 80km of limerick. Phone the nearest one and ask if he will check the van or can he recommend someone.

TinyCuppa
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2020  ·  #24
thank you so much Sprinter - I did what you suggested and while the person I contacted through the IAEA couldn't help he did recommend we contact Assess Ireland -so I did that and have booked an engineer to go and check the van tomorrow. I asked them about a habitation check, as the engineer who recommended them said that is specifically what you need on a camper van, and the reason he was less keen to do it as he didn't have experience of doing those checks. The woman I spoke to at Assess Ireland didn't immediately know about this but I have sent them details and they said if they can't carry it out they will let me know beforehand and refund the fee. For anyone else who is interested the fee we have been quoted is €307 incl VAT

Liked by: Ally, sprinter

TinyCuppa
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2020  ·  #25
further update - Assess Ireland got back to me by email and said their engineer said they can't do habitation check so they are refunding the money. Now I am back to square one. I have emailed them to ask what they do check as maybe that is enough but haven't heard back yet.

Meanwhile the man selling it is getting understandably impatient (though justifiably we cannot buy it yet as have had no insurance callback from Dolmen and our own insurer won't cover it)

I would REALLY like to get it checked but am feeling stumped again now :-(

TinyCuppa
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2020  ·  #26
another update - went through the list from IAEA and finally found a guy about 40km away who will do a check - not full habitation check but will check mechanics and body and that everything is working inside and out. He is charging €180. Hopefully will get there before the seller decides to sell it again as he seems to be getting a bit impatient now!

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2020  ·  #27
Tiny Dont let his impatient cloud your judgement. Make sure the vehicle is right for you. Check, check and check again before you part with your money

Liked by: eirebus, GMAC, sprinter

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2020  ·  #28
Mechanicals are a known quantity but water damage can require a blank cheque it's not uncommon to have to pay out a few grand to get damp damage sorted.
I wouldn't buy without getting a competent professional to check for damp.
If you add where you live to your profile there may be someone local who can point you in the direction of a trusted person to look the vehicle over.

Liked by: eirebus, GMAC

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2020  ·  #29
@baguette
one of the earlier posts said the Limerick area.

TinyCuppa
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2020  ·  #30
thanks folks you are keeping me sane :-)

the engineer who said he will go and check it categorically said he doesn't check for damp

the van is the clare side of limerick city - I am in west cork

if anyone has a trusted independent who can check body and mechanics and that it all works and is not damp I would be eternally grateful

skipper
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2020  ·  #31
I'm also looking for something 10 to 15k budget wondering can you not buy a damp guage something to check for damp yourself

Liked by: TinyCuppa

TinyCuppa
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2020  ·  #32
good question Skipper - if you find out please post here :-)

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2020  ·  #33
Quote by skipper

I'm also looking for something 10 to 15k budget wondering can you not buy a damp guage something to check for damp yourself

You can and you should ,buy a good one it will pay for itself , stopping you buying a damp Van

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2020  ·  #34
Be aware there are two types of damp meter. One of which has two sharp prongs which measure the moisture content. An owner may be not be happy if you start making holes in his van, so go carefully. The second type is less intrusive. This seems to be a useful article.

https://www.caravanhelper.co.uk/caravan-damp-meter/

Davy

Liked by: Ally, ntg

petereire
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2020  ·  #35
lots of damp meters for sale on amazon as well, both of the types mentioned above, a bit of research might be required,Peter.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.