tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Rooftop Solar Panel Adhesive

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #1
Just about to take the plunge and order a 130 watt rooftop solar panel. It'll be supplied with four 'plastic' type corner mounting brackets, and from what I've read so far, Silkaflex 292 is the best fixing option.
It's a big panel, and I'm obviously concerned about safety when on the move.
So advice appreciated...is this adhesive, correctly applied to four corner brackets, strong enough to hold the panel securely? I'm considering perhaps extra aluminum angle strips along two sides side, and/or a safety cable of some kind in case of adhesive failure.
All comments and suggestions appreciated.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Rooftop Solar Panel Adhesive

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #2
I always stick them on, sikaflex is great but I find Soudal RV61 just as good but a lot easier worked with. The four corners had always been enough for me.

Liked by: sprinter, tony glenn

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #3
Quote by tony glenn

Just about to take the plunge and order a 130 watt rooftop solar panel. It'll be supplied with four 'plastic' type corner mounting brackets, and from what I've read so far, Silkaflex 292 is the best fixing option.
So advice appreciated...is this adhesive, correctly applied to four corner brackets, strong enough to hold the panel securely? I'm considering perhaps extra aluminum angle strips along two sides side, and/or a safety cable of some kind in case of adhesive failure.

Lot's of great adhesive's to choose from so it's a personal choice but I went for Sikaflex 252, It's what Sikaflex recommend for mounting Solar panel's.

https://sikaflexit.wordpress.c…r-caravan/

Because I have a very large panel I have 4 corner brackets, 2 middle brackets on the 2 smaller sides of panel and 2 very long brackets on the front side that gets the wind. To get extra adhesion I drilled little holes in the brackets to allow the adhesive to get good and stuck! Also give the roof a good rub of rough sandpaper where the brackets will be situated. Best of luck with the job whichever way you.....Post pics if you can to help fellow craicers thinking of doing the same :up:

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #4
If bonding without screws make sure your motorhome doesn't have a hail protection roof.
Some continental motorhomes, Rapido for example, have a floating 1mm outer skin designed to absorb the impact of hail and is not bonded to the main roof itself.
Bonding to such a roof without screws means you are relying on a 1mm thickness of fibreglass sheet to hold the panel in place.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #5
baugette, that's an interesting point about the double roof. I know it sounds weird that I have stuck my head out a roof vent and looked at the roof in windy weather. But I have noticed the roof ripples with the wind

Liked by: tony glenn

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #6
When I looked at fitting my panel, I had the corner brackets and the Sikaflex ready to do the job. The problem was the roof was not flat by design, being a Movano. There were a series of parallel troughs and ridges about 4" wide. No matter what way I positioned the dish and corner brackets to find the best spot, a significant portion of some of the brackets did not make contact with the roof. So as a backup I made up 4 aluminium corner brackets which I drill-screwed to the four panels sides and stuck to the roof with 3M VHB tape. This tape is very sticky, you get one chance to position it right.

In hindsight, I think it was overkill using the two systems. I think either one alone would have done the job. Even just applying the Sikaflex on the corner brackets, some of which did not make much contact with a surface, the panel already felt really stuck, and the adhesive hadn't even begun to dry. I struggled to even readjust the position. And that was prior to adding the aluminium brackets.

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #7
Many thanks for all the replies, plenty of info to digest. I'll be ordering the panel this week, and will post my progress.

Liked by: Ally

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #8
I was restricted on space on my roof, got an AC unit in the middle, 3 rooflights, roof bars and the front end is barrel vaulted over the overcab bed. I was struggling to find a position that wouldn't be prone to the partial shadow of other rooftop 'furniture'.

I decided to fit them to the roof bars, put some rivnuts through the frames of the panels, cut some aluminium channel for the retaining bars and some stainless steel bolts to hold it all together. May be an alternative option if you have roof bars.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #9
Quote by <BM>

I was restricted on space on my roof, got an AC unit in the middle, 3 rooflights, roof bars and the front end is barrel vaulted over the overcab bed. I was struggling to find a position that wouldn't be prone to the partial shadow of other rooftop 'furniture'.

I decided to fit them to the roof bars, put some rivnuts through the frames of the panels, cut some aluminium channel for the retaining bars and some stainless steel bolts to hold it all together. May be an alternative option if you have roof bars.

That's how I mounted 2x100 panels on my last van.....No adhesive to be seen anywhere :up:

Liked by: <BM>

Derrymilk
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Self build with Poptop
Base Vehicle: T5.1 Transporter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #10
Any recommendations for panels? After a flexible >100w for my T5?

Thanks

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2020  ·  #11
I’ve no experience of flexible but anything I have read about them has been negative, I’ll leave it with you to check the reviews

Liked by: eirebus

Noxid
My Motorhome: Autoquest 155
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer 2.0L
Subject:

Flexible panels

· 
Posted: 28.07.2020  ·  #12
My Flexible panel went from 10A to 1 A in 18 months. Now working on rigid.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2020  ·  #13
My flexible panel wasn't performing well, unfortunately it was on the only area or the roof it could fit and that was prone to water puddling which no doubt didn't help. I've upgraded to two rigid panels.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2020  ·  #14
Quote by <BM>

Me too

Liked by: <BM>, Ally, tony glenn

davetherave
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2021  ·  #15
Quote by panda

Quote by tony glenn

Lot's of great adhesive's to choose from so it's a personal choice but I went for Sikaflex 252, It's what Sikaflex recommend for mounting Solar panel's.

https://sikaflexit.wordpress.c…r-caravan/

Because I have a very large panel I have 4 corner brackets, 2 middle brackets on the 2 smaller sides of panel and 2 very long brackets on the front side that gets the wind. To get extra adhesion I drilled little holes in the brackets to allow the adhesive to get good and stuck! Also give the roof a good rub of rough sandpaper where the brackets will be situated. Best of luck with the job whichever way you.....Post pics if you can to help fellow craicers thinking of doing the same :up:

Hi Panda,

I’ve been putting the solar panel on the long finger but think I will tackle it next month. Just wondering where you sourced the Sikaflex and mounting brackets?

Thanks, David

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2021  ·  #16
David sikaflex is widely used in the marine world so any marine store will probably stock it,also many motorfactors will stock it and lastly the old faithful eBay definitely have it.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2021  ·  #17
davetherave
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2021  ·  #18
Paul mcg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2021  ·  #19
I put my two panels on the van with tec 7 and one on my first van no problem. Almost a year ago with the two panels and not a budge. I give them a good check from time to time

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2021  ·  #20
I used tec 7 too and it's available in most DIY stores, around €15

Liked by: panda

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2021  ·  #21
Another vote for Tec 7, less expensive than Silkaflex, did the job perfectly for me when I fitted my panel before last season.

Liked by: JettaJohn, panda

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2021  ·  #22
Tec 7 for me too.
I think the price difference between Sikaflex and Tec 7 is the old story, for leisure use or trades/professional use, just like solar panels, batteries, etc. etc..

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2021  ·  #23
Quote by baguette

Tec 7 for me too.
I think the price difference between Sikaflex and Tec 7 is the old story, for leisure use or trades/professional use, just like solar panels, batteries, etc. etc..

Sikaflex EBT is pitched (priced) as a Tec7 competitor and widely available in builders merchants.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2021  ·  #24
There are many adhesives that would do the job very well and at varying prices to suit your needs. ..its a personal choice.

Interestingly....when I installed my panel I used all the tube of Sikaflex 252. I'd forgotten to leave a smidgen for my cable entry gland so had to buy a tube of tec7 from local hardware store to complete the job. I did however notice the tec7 hadnt got the same density or initial grab properties of the sika 252.....still more than adequate for the job though.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2021  ·  #25
Guys. When you are installing the panel what do you do with the loose wire that goes from the panel to the gland. Does it not flap in the wind. I'm in the planning stage of fitting my panel. I have 4 corner brackets and 2 side brackets and have ordered more side brackets to be sure to be sure.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2021  ·  #26
Quote by TommyS

Guys. When you are installing the panel what do you do with the loose wire that goes from the panel to the gland. Does it not flap in the wind. I'm in the planning stage of fitting my panel. I have 4 corner brackets and 2 side brackets and have ordered more side brackets to be sure to be sure.

use something like This little Puppy Tommy,
Peel the sticky back off and stick it with the sikaflex or tec7 adhesive that you are sticking the panel on with,
Once dry use a small cable tie to secure the cable to it

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Rooftop Solar Panel Adhesive

· 
Posted: 22.03.2021  ·  #27
Quote by TommyS

we used ordinary self adhesive backed electrical 38mm trunking with the clip on cover, something like this.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa…AAQ&adurl=

Liked by: TommyS

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2021  ·  #28
Thanks guys. I'm going to keep the run from the panel to the waterproof gland as short as possible. I have plenty of space on the roof so I can pick a good spot

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2021  ·  #29
What size panel did you get Tommy?....You definitely have acres of space on your van to power a city 😁

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2021  ·  #30
200watt with a dual mppt controller. The panel is very big and I'm worried about it catching the wind so intend to glue it down with extra oanel mounts

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2021  ·  #31
I decided to put the cost of the plastic mounts against the cost of a inverter and made mounts out of salvaged box section of an old Aluminium doorframe. When I was looking for plastic ones I found photos of badly sun damaged cracked ones on a review and it kind of put me off them.

davetherave
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2021  ·  #32
Quote by TommyS

200watt with a dual mppt controller. The panel is very big and I'm worried about it catching the wind so intend to glue it down with extra oanel mounts

Hi Tommy,

What mppt controller did you decide on?

David

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2021  ·  #33
Quote by CHAUSSON

I decided to put the cost of the plastic mounts against the cost of a inverter and made mounts out of salvaged box section of an old Aluminium doorframe. When I was looking for plastic ones I found photos of badly sun damaged cracked ones on a review and it kind of put me off them.

Lovely work Pat....Very tidy indeed :up:

Liked by: CHAUSSON

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2021  ·  #34
Its called Spark, came with the kit along with a remote led. Just needed screws and adhesive

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2021  ·  #35
Thats a neat job. Is the panel across the van. I was thinking of putting lengthwise to minimise wind catching it

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2021  ·  #36
Quote by panda

Quote by CHAUSSON

Lovely work Pat....Very tidy indeed :up:

Thanks John, I thought I had these photos uploaded as well

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2021  ·  #37
Quote by TommyS

Thats a neat job. Is the panel across the van. I was thinking of putting lengthwise to minimise wind catching it

I couldn’t fit it length ways,Tommy, it is 300w

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2021  ·  #38
Some job on those brackets Pat ..... You couldnt buy any better :up:

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2021  ·  #39
Looks great Pat. A lifetime job.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.03.2021  ·  #40
Tidy work there Pat,

With 300w you should have plenty of amperage even on a dull day :up:

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.